Which faction of the Dem party will win the inevitable civil war?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:10:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Which faction of the Dem party will win the inevitable civil war?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: skip
The Clintonian wing

The Bernie wing

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 80

Author Topic: Which faction of the Dem party will win the inevitable civil war?  (Read 2584 times)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 26, 2016, 12:21:17 AM »
« edited: November 26, 2016, 12:23:54 AM by #TheShadowyAbyss »

There inevitably will be a civil war within the DEM's and DNC as to where the party goes from here. Which side will inevitably win out?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 12:42:42 AM »

Most likely the bad wing.  Sad!  They will be in the political wilderness for a generation if they don't listen to Queen H.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 12:45:33 AM »

The Bernie wing is more likely to win, but I fear that it won't even be the Bernie wing. It'll be the Green Tea Party wing, which could lead to a candidate like Kanye winning the nomination in 2020. Democrats have moderates, they have liberals/progressives, and then they have some crazies. Crazies took over the Republican Party, and if enough anger builds, I'm worried that the same thing could happen to the Democratic Party.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 12:47:42 AM »

The Bernie wing is more likely to win, but I fear that it won't even be the Bernie wing. It'll be the Green Tea Party wing, which could lead to a candidate like Kanye winning the nomination in 2020. Democrats have moderates, they have liberals/progressives, and then they have some crazies. Crazies took over the Republican Party, and if enough anger builds, I'm worried that the same thing could happen to the Democratic Party.

Democrats need to keep their super delegates.  This is exactly why they exist in the first place.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 12:56:51 AM »

We are NOT the GOP.

There won't be a civil war.

And establishment-types like Schumer are already getting behind progressives, like Keith Ellison for DNC.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 01:06:02 AM »

We are NOT the GOP.

And establishment-types like Schumer are already getting behind progressives, like Keith Ellison for DNC.

I must have missed the GOP Civil War.  It went out with a fizzle.  I actually wish there had been one.  In my dreams, I guess.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 01:19:06 AM »

We are NOT the GOP.

I must have missed the GOP Civil War.  It went out with a fizzle.  I actually wish there had been one.  In my dreams, I guess.
Trump versus the GOP.

But yeah, anything the Democrats come up with will be such small fries compared to that.

Bernie: I say we should focus more on single-payer!
Schumer: Great idea, Bernie!
MEDIA: breaking news! tension between Senate Democrats, as Sanders forces Senate Leadership to cave to demands!
Warren: We need to make sure the millionaires pay their fair share, everyone depends on public goods and needs to give back.
Durbin: Be careful that we don't accidentally make it sound like we're going to persecute the rich or punish success or anything.
Warren: Of course, I'm so sorry if anything I said was offensive.
TRUMP: The Democrats are tearing each other apart, limb from limb! Mass hysteria everywhere. Sad!
nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 01:29:29 AM »

Unfortunately, I think the Democratic establishment is to dumb to realize what a massive failure Clinton and the type of people that follow her policies are.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 01:32:46 AM »

Other--these "wings" will fade away just like the "Establishment" and "Tea Party" wings of the GOP.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 01:38:41 AM »

The evil wing will probably have to capitulate a little to the side not dominated by the moneyed interests, but will somewhat be able to continue doing the same thing.

Sarcastic answer:  Captain America and Tony Stark will fight for a little while, then come to an understanding.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 01:38:53 AM »

We are NOT the GOP.

You're watching it. Currently, some tithe of the Republicans have fled the party, for the Dems, the Libertarians, or some other exile. The much larger remainder have gathered into factions around the dim-witted but cunning and charismatic President-elect Pussygrabber. All the factions are eyeing the others and measuring backs for daggers. Pussygrabber's unexpected victory has kept the blades in their sheathes for now but do not think he brings more than a veneer of unity to his courtiers. Right now, the theocrats seem ascendant.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2016, 05:54:42 AM »

We are NOT the GOP.

You're watching it. Currently, some tithe of the Republicans have fled the party, for the Dems, the Libertarians, or some other exile. The much larger remainder have gathered into factions around the dim-witted but cunning and charismatic President-elect Pussygrabber. All the factions are eyeing the others and measuring backs for daggers. Pussygrabber's unexpected victory has kept the blades in their sheathes for now but do not think he brings more than a veneer of unity to his courtiers. Right now, the theocrats seem ascendant.

Yeah. Just look at this huge tension around Romney vs Giuliani.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2016, 11:31:13 AM »

The Bernie and Clinton wings will amalgamate and settle their differences and unite behind the next Democratic White House quite happily. The gulf between them isn't as wide as reported. There's friction, some tensions, but honestly, it's not a huge yawning gulf.

The GOP on the other hand ... well, their civil war is suspended, but when it resumes, I don't want to be anywhere near the blast zone.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2016, 11:46:16 AM »

We are NOT the GOP.

Yeah. Just look at this huge tension around Romney vs Giuliani.

I'd bet that neither of them will end up with the job, and instead some acceptable-to-theocrats third option will be the nominee. But, I don't know how much the fake-religious right wingnuts really care about foreign policy.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2016, 05:27:10 PM »

We are NOT the GOP.

Because it ended up being a coup rather than a civil war. The civil war is the next step in the process.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2016, 03:45:30 PM »

As we saw in the Republican Party, two establishment v. base fights(McCain v. Huckabee, Paul; Romney v. Santorum, Gingrich, Paul) lead to the rise of someone despised by both the establishment and the base. I suspect the Democrats may have their own Trump arise. Maybe Roseanne Barr?
Cashew
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2016, 06:19:26 PM »

As we saw in the Republican Party, two establishment v. base fights(McCain v. Huckabee, Paul; Romney v. Santorum, Gingrich, Paul) lead to the rise of someone despised by both the establishment and the base. I suspect the Democrats may have their own Trump arise. Maybe Roseanne Barr?

You are operating under the faulty assumption that Democrats are as psychologically malleable as Republicans. I have yet to see evidence that Democrats fall for gold coin scams and other snake oil at the same rate as Republicans.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2016, 06:30:30 PM »

Whichever one is most armed.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2016, 07:51:34 PM »

Alternatively, we'll end up with someone more like FDR, who is acceptable to both the establishment and the base, but leans anti-establishment.

For the record, I think the winner will be a sort of mild anti-establishment figure or platform. Trump is becoming the establishment, and I think he'll do a lot to discredit it. Running as anti-DC, anti-capitalism, and probably as anti-foreign intervention (I think Trump will get involved in at least one stupid and unpopular war) will be pretty popular after 4-8 years of President Pussygrabber in charge of the military, the government, and deregulation.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2016, 07:51:50 PM »

Democrats are much more prone to compromise than Republicans, who tend to go for all-or-nothing. I think it'll coalesce somewhere in between.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2016, 09:57:12 AM »

To the extent any side will fully "win," it will obviously be the Berine wing.  The vast majority of Democratic voters and leaners support economic justice measures, and polls show the party is more united on that than it is on most social and cultural issues (despite the fact that its politicians might not represent that).
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2016, 10:09:16 AM »

Why would the candidate of such a movement be someone who is barely coherent whenever he talks politics and openly says he didn't vote this year but would've voted for Trump if he did?
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2016, 10:11:44 AM »

You are operating under the faulty assumption that Democrats are as psychologically malleable as Republicans. I have yet to see evidence that Democrats fall for gold coin scams and other snake oil at the same rate as Republicans.

No, Democrats are perfectly reasonable. They just buy indulgences for their white guilt through "fair trade" coffee or what have you. Don't forget the entire bogus vitamin/nutrition/vague mysticism industry that is sustained only by the liberal base of the Democratic Party.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2016, 10:17:29 AM »

Neither. The Democratic Party will continue to consist two wings, with no clear “line” between them. There’s always a certain spectrum within a political party, especially on countries with a two-party system. Geography also plays a role; southern Democrats tend to be more conservatives than the ones in CA or VT. The same with the GOP; the MA GOP is more moderate than the AL GOP for example. Compared to decades ago, when you had the John Nance Garner/Harry Bird/George Wallace and FDR/JFK Democrats, the ideological gap of today is far less than that.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2016, 11:37:16 PM »

The Brian Schweitzer/John Hickenlooper wing
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to: