Conservatives and libertarians only: Will Trump pick anti-eminent domain judges?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:33:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Conservatives and libertarians only: Will Trump pick anti-eminent domain judges?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will Trump pick conservative federal judges who support property rights?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 4

Author Topic: Conservatives and libertarians only: Will Trump pick anti-eminent domain judges?  (Read 731 times)
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 23, 2016, 11:33:49 PM »

Will Trump pick good conservative judges who support property rights and oppose eminent domain?
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 01:21:55 AM »

I doubt that Trump's most important priority, when searching for whom to appoint, will be that his appointees must be very fond of property rights and very suspicious of eminent domain. If we are to believe what he said during presidential debates, he places support for gun ownership rights as a very important priority. But then why take him at his word? He changes his tune over and over again.

I'm conservative, but I didn't vote for Trump, I voted for Evan McMullin. The President's power to appoint Supreme Court Justices has always been very important to me.  I believe in these two philosophies, vis-s-vis, what should the Supreme Court do when interpreting the Constitution: 1) Always interpret objectively. Not "conservatively," but objectively. Set aside your own political views about what you think government should or should not do and just strictly interpret the laws. 2) Interpretation must include concern for what the laws were intended to mean. Neither Trump nor Clinton convinced me that those two things matter to them too. Clinton never said anything at all about either one of those things, and Trump paid some lip service toward the original intent philosophy, he was not consistent or believable.

IMO, if a judge gets picked for appointment because they are "conservative," because they strongly believe that too little attention has been paid to property rights and eminent domain is running amok, or because they are strong proponents of gun ownership rights, then they are being appointed for the wrong reason. The primary qualities that should be sought in an appointee to the Supreme Court are objectivity and adhering to the original intent of what each law was intended to mean.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 01:39:47 AM »

I doubt this will be a major concern for him. To the degree it is, he'd probably want judges that would let real estate developers like him abuse eminent domain. In other words, don't look for Kelo to be revisited anytime soon.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 01:47:25 AM »
« Edited: November 24, 2016, 01:53:27 AM by ERM64man »

Would Trump pick "conservative living constitutionists" (similar to Anthony Kennedy), originalists (similar to Andrew Napolitano), or statist hypocrites?
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 02:01:28 PM »

>"Property Rights"

lmao pretty spooky there mate
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: