Opinion of the movie Braveheart?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:34:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of the movie Braveheart?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: skip
FM

HM

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 16

Author Topic: Opinion of the movie Braveheart?  (Read 1049 times)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 20, 2016, 04:40:49 PM »

I think it's a pretty good and emotional story, but I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it again.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 04:56:19 PM »

Pretty great, like most of Gibson's films.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 07:14:25 PM »

Pretty great, like most of Gibson's films.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 07:36:59 PM »

Speaking as an avid historian, I hated it. Completely and utterly inaccurate. It cheapened the real William Wallace's historical achievements.

Sterling Bridge in the movie: Where the hell was the bridge?! It played a decisive role in the battle, yet in the movie, it's nowhere to be seen. Not to mention the Frenchwoman he falls in love with was still a damn child at the time in real life.

It cheapened the real life of Wallace, and if were alive today, I've little doubt he'd be enormously insulted.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 07:40:36 PM »

Historically insulting, melodramatic tripe, also Mel Gibson...yuck.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 10:48:15 PM »

It was entertaining for me, I don't watch that sort of film expecting something historically accurate.

However, it does bother me how people believe some of the most blatant inaccuracies as being wha actually happened, but that happens on almost every "historical" film, so I've grown used to it.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 11:00:29 PM »

I think it is one of my favorite movies, period, but the length makes it hard to watch it often. I often use Longshanks as a sort of visualization when I find myself in drunken philosophical conversations. He's a pretty naked example of the basics of power.

"Scotland....my land" is a pretty good line. He decided he wanted Scotland so he went and he took it. It's a pretty simple explanation. I also like to use the "God says I'll make it out of this....but you're finksed!" line by the crazy Irish dude in casual conversation.

It was entertaining for me, I don't watch that sort of film expecting something historically accurate.

However, it does bother me how people believe some of the most blatant inaccuracies as being wha actually happened, but that happens on almost every "historical" film, so I've grown used to it.
In a rare moment of faith in my fellow man, I have a feeling that if most people were informed that the information from the movie was distorted they'd probably agree. Most people who think historical drama films are "accurate" don't necessarily see it as the literal events as much as a quick synopsis.

Now, the inaccuracies in The Patriot bothered me. For example, the Martin family is shown to have a large SC plantation in the opening scenes. Yet all the workers there aren't slaves, and Martin pays them for their labor. Why can't they be slaves? Why do they have to make Martin so transparently likable? Can't they make him a more complex character? Can't they make a more powerful statement in favor of equality and liberty by showing the hypocrisy of our founding fathers? I just found that whole plotline rather odd.

Also when they are hiding in Aunt Charlotte's basement and the Dragoons come to burn down the manor house, you'll notice that some of the wicker baskets filled with loaves of bread are wrapped in plastic saran wrap. That literally bugs me every time I watch that scene Tongue
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 08:39:54 AM »

I think it is one of my favorite movies, period, but the length makes it hard to watch it often. I often use Longshanks as a sort of visualization when I find myself in drunken philosophical conversations. He's a pretty naked example of the basics of power.

"Scotland....my land" is a pretty good line. He decided he wanted Scotland so he went and he took it. It's a pretty simple explanation. I also like to use the "God says I'll make it out of this....but you're finksed!" line by the crazy Irish dude in casual conversation.

In a rare moment of faith in my fellow man, I have a feeling that if most people were informed that the information from the movie was distorted they'd probably agree. Most people who think historical drama films are "accurate" don't necessarily see it as the literal events as much as a quick synopsis.

Now, the inaccuracies in The Patriot bothered me. For example, the Martin family is shown to have a large SC plantation in the opening scenes. Yet all the workers there aren't slaves, and Martin pays them for their labor. Why can't they be slaves? Why do they have to make Martin so transparently likable? Can't they make him a more complex character? Can't they make a more powerful statement in favor of equality and liberty by showing the hypocrisy of our founding fathers? I just found that whole plotline rather odd.

Also when they are hiding in Aunt Charlotte's basement and the Dragoons come to burn down the manor house, you'll notice that some of the wicker baskets filled with loaves of bread are wrapped in plastic saran wrap. That literally bugs me every time I watch that scene Tongue

Ugh. Don't remind me of The Patriot.

I still maintain that Martin should've been a slaveowner.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 01:13:10 PM »

Among the absolute best films in the both "insanely historically inaccurate" and "stupidly melodramatic" categories.

Thumbs up, because I could get over both glaring problems, and therefore really enjoyed it, but likely shouldn't have won best picture.

Best moments are the famous speech, hamish's father dying, and the part at the end where robert the bruce says "you have bled with wallace; now bleed with me."
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 01:19:31 PM »

Maybe I'm just a hopeless nerd, but historical inaccuracies always annoys me more than it's worth.

The movie is great, though. RIP Mel we all loved.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 11:28:09 AM »

Among the absolute best films in the both "insanely historically inaccurate" and "stupidly melodramatic" categories.

Thumbs up, because I could get over both glaring problems, and therefore really enjoyed it, but likely shouldn't have won best picture.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 12:12:43 PM »

Mel Gibson is unwatchable.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 12:47:59 PM »

A piece of crap historically, It was entertaining once you realize that.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2016, 02:17:41 PM »

A piece of crap historically, It was entertaining once you realize that.

...No, that's Tombstone.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2016, 03:35:22 PM »

It was my favorite film for a long time, but in retrospect it's a little homophobic.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2016, 02:08:38 AM »

It was my favorite film for a long time, but in retrospect it's a little homophobic.

It was never my favorite film... but it was always a good film, though Mel Gibson kind of taints it, and I did notice the homophobia from the start.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2016, 12:06:52 PM »

I haven't seen it in years, but I've usually enjoyed it.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2016, 12:41:01 AM »

It was never my favorite film... but it was always a good film, though Mel Gibson kind of taints it, and I did notice the homophobia from the start.

I saw it so long ago that I don't remember too much. The only scene I liked was when a lady talks in French to someone because they assume Wallace doesn't understand it, and he answers them in French.

Aside from that it is notable only for its rather intense homophobia and the fact that it stole the Best Picture Oscar from Apollo 13, a much better film.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2016, 09:43:39 AM »

Ok, I'll bite, how is it homophobic?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2016, 12:29:49 PM »

A very good Gibson movie. I know about the beef with its accuracy, but I don't really mind. I'm not watching a documentary. To me, it's basically just a good work of fiction.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies