Why do Atlas Dems keep talking about Kamala Harris as a potential candidate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:56:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Why do Atlas Dems keep talking about Kamala Harris as a potential candidate?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Why do Atlas Dems keep talking about Kamala Harris as a potential candidate?  (Read 4726 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 19, 2016, 04:17:06 PM »

She seems like a generic, boiler-plate California Democrat.  Is this just like Keith Ellison where she hasn't really done anything, but happens to check a bunch of religious and/or ethnic boxes in the minds of the whacktivist crowd or are there some sort of meaningful accomplishments/qualifications she has that I'm missing?
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 04:18:22 PM »

She seems like a generic, boiler-plate California Democrat.  Is this just like Keith Ellison where she hasn't really done anything, but happens to check a bunch of religious and/or ethnic boxes in the minds of the whacktivist crowd or are there some sort of meaningful accomplishments/qualifications she has that I'm missing?

There, the answer is in the question. Democrats are only concerned about skin-deep qualifications.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 04:31:36 PM »

There, the answer is in the question. Democrats are only concerned about skin-deep qualifications.

Partially this, partially because the Dem bench is so weak. How many Governors or Senators do they have from bigish purple states?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 04:46:28 PM »

Ethnicity.

Hey, it's a valid approach.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 04:47:07 PM »

Unfortunately this is quite true for a portion of Democrats.

However, she is kind of reminiscent of Obama, who became President after only 4 years in the senate. Harris would have the same qualifications or more than Obama in 2020.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 04:54:04 PM »

What is it with this assumption that Keith Ellison has no qualifications?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 04:54:14 PM »

If Obama were a bit more straightforward, less apologetic, but also a bit more guarded and bottled-up, you'd get her.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 04:58:53 PM »

Obama thinks she's attractive --> she's the next Obama

Wink
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 04:59:10 PM »

She was AG and had a progresssive record, so she should be able to get both wings of the Democratic party aboard if she chooses a VP from the Sanders wing, like Sherrod Brown. Also, she could remind people of Obama.
And regarding what you said of Keith Ellison, personally I don't support him unless he resigns from Congress, but you can't say the hype about him is in any way related to his race or religion. The hype is because he's from the Sanders wing, and many believe that this is the approach the Democratic party should be taking to win in 2018 and 2020.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 05:01:36 PM »

Most of the Democrats with long records and have done something, also have the personality of a wet blanket.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2016, 05:02:09 PM »
« Edited: November 19, 2016, 05:05:09 PM by Maxwell »

I've explained why I like Harris, I'm not going to re-explain myself other than a simple refrain: She's a liberal powerhouse, and can potentially bring back enthusiasm for Democrats. If Democrats were merely talking about checking boxes, then Tammy Baldwin, Tammy Duckworth, Kate Brown, Pramila Jayapal, and many others would have first priority ahead of Harris. Notice how none of those people are discussed as candidates? There's a reason Harris is talked about besides "identity politics".

Harris is a million times more likely than Jim Justice, Brian Schweitzer, Amy Klobuchar, or whoever wet blanket white candidate Atlas has fallen in love with because they've decided to over-correct from "we need a diverse palet" to "IDENTITY POLITICS AHHH".
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2016, 05:07:44 PM »

Same reason Rubio was talked up.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2016, 05:53:01 PM »

She's a young black.  At this point that makes her the frontrunner.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2016, 05:53:20 PM »

You idiots nominated literally a reality TV star for president.
anthonyjg
anty1691

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -7.48

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2016, 05:54:59 PM »

I agree with Maxwell. Personally, I think she's a little overrated and I would much prefer to see Warren leading the ticket in 2020. However, there are more reasons to like Harris beyond identity politics.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2016, 05:55:23 PM »

She's someone who was born to climb the ladder.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2016, 06:02:00 PM »

She was AG and had a progresssive record, so she should be able to get both wings of the Democratic party aboard if she chooses a VP from the Sanders wing, like Sherrod Brown. Also, she could remind people of Obama.
Harris is pretty close to the Sanders wing...
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2016, 06:05:30 PM »

The Sanders wing is more about personality and mostly just about whether or not you endorsed Sanders in the primary. Very little to do with ideology.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2016, 06:12:39 PM »

The Sanders wing is more about personality and mostly just about whether or not you endorsed Sanders in the primary. Very little to do with ideology.

Brown isn't any farther to the left than Harris, and he definitely endorsed Clinton in the primaries(specifically, in late October 2015). I am pretty sure Harris didn't endorse anyone in the primaries.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2016, 06:19:06 PM »

That's true, but I think she's not really percieved as a part of that wing. In any case, an establishment-wing VP would be pretty useless because she would be enough to turn out these voters. A Sanders-wing VP would consolidate his voters and appeal to all working class voters (regardless of ethnicity).
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2016, 06:27:19 PM »

Can you think of anyone better?

(actual question)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2016, 06:29:34 PM »
« Edited: November 19, 2016, 06:31:44 PM by Malcolm X »

And regarding what you said of Keith Ellison, personally I don't support him unless he resigns from Congress, but you can't say the hype about him is in any way related to his race or religion. The hype is because he's from the Sanders wing, and many believe that this is the approach the Democratic party should be taking to win in 2018 and 2020.

I think a lot of the Ellison hype on Atlas specifically is related to his race and especially his religion, tbh.  I doubt the forum would be as excited about an otherwise identical white Christian.  The fact that when I asked in another thread what the argument was *for* Ellison being chair and what his accomplishments were and none of the Ellison supporters could come up with anything concrete really speaks volumes.

I've explained why I like Harris, I'm not going to re-explain myself other than a simple refrain: She's a liberal powerhouse, and can potentially bring back enthusiasm for Democrats. If Democrats were merely talking about checking boxes, then Tammy Baldwin, Tammy Duckworth, Kate Brown, Pramila Jayapal, and many others would have first priority ahead of Harris. Notice how none of those people are discussed as candidates? There's a reason Harris is talked about besides "identity politics".

Harris is a million times more likely than Jim Justice, Brian Schweitzer, Amy Klobuchar, or whoever wet blanket white candidate Atlas has fallen in love with because they've decided to over-correct from "we need a diverse palet" to "IDENTITY POLITICS AHHH".

Could you link me to that post then, I was actually genuinely curious.

(actual question)

Sherrod Brown and Elizabeth Warren both come to mind, especially the former.  
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2016, 06:46:29 PM »

I think a lot of the Ellison hype on Atlas specifically is related to his race and especially his religion, tbh.  I doubt the forum would be as excited about an otherwise identical white Christian.  The fact that when I asked in another thread what the argument was *for* Ellison being chair and what his accomplishments were and none of the Ellison supporters could come up with anything concrete really speaks volumes.

Could you link me to that post then, I was actually genuinely curious.

(actual question)

They are about the same as Harris on balance. They are all kind of Romneyesqie at this point.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2016, 06:48:25 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

[/quote]

Brown is strong, but Warren is 73 years old and far left. And Harris would win a primary against Brown, I do think.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2016, 06:49:54 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Brown is strong, but Warren is 73 years old and far left. And Harris would win a primary against Brown, I do think.
[/quote]
Harris/Brown could work
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies