Which is the bigger divide in American politics?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:48:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Which is the bigger divide in American politics?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Skip
Whites v.s Non-Whites

Millennials v.s Baby Boomers/Silent Generation

Liberals v.s conservatives

Urban areas v.s rural areas

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 65

Author Topic: Which is the bigger divide in American politics?  (Read 681 times)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 18, 2016, 11:00:21 PM »

I think it's more generational, Baby boomers v.s Millennials.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 11:08:33 PM »

I guess liberal vs. conservative, though that one doesn't really fit, since it's about ideology while the rest are about demographics. I mean, wouldn't an urban millennial minority who (surprising) votes Republican identify as a conservative?
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 11:23:52 PM »

Divisions between Urban areas v.s rural areas have been a factor in human society since the dawn of the classical era.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 11:24:59 PM »

I guess liberal vs. conservative, though that one doesn't really fit, since it's about ideology while the rest are about demographics. I mean, wouldn't an urban millennial minority who (surprising) votes Republican identify as a conservative?

It's clearly liberal vs. conservative, but I would go with race or location before age.  Those have much bigger gaps (the age gap isn't actually that big for all we talk about it).  Also, if you combine two, for example, both Trump and Romney comfortably carried young whites.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 11:32:37 PM »

It's clearly liberal vs. conservative, but I would go with race or location before age.  Those have much bigger gaps (the age gap isn't actually that big for all we talk about it).  Also, if you combine two, for example, both Trump and Romney comfortably carried young whites.

Also, IIRC, younger blacks are actually somewhat less democratic than older black voters. Of course, that fact that younger people are also more likely to vote for third parties probably plays a big role in that.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 12:38:41 AM »

baby-boomers, aren't even the most conservative age group. Those born later in the generation, are more conservative than those born earlier.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 03:13:55 AM »

Race is a bigger factor than age, and to a lesser extent, bigger than urban vs. rural.  Minorities tend to vote Democratic, whether urban or rural.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 09:47:59 AM »

agrarian populists vs urban technocrats Tongue
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 04:18:42 PM »

I was going to say race, although that doesn't account for ideology. But urban/rural encompasses both, that's what I went with.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 04:21:13 PM »

Sexy vs non-sexy
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2016, 04:27:08 PM »

I'm a big fan of technocracy, but it's a tool that's only as good as the assumptions, goals, and values you bring into it. There's no reason that a technocrat's methods can't be employed for the interests of the agrarian populist. As such, the fundamental divide must be at least one step prior to this; the divide must be in the values/assumptions/goals that the urbanites bring to their methods against the values/goals the agrarians hold.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2016, 06:48:22 PM »

Urban vs rural, then race, then (BIG GAP) millennials vs baby boomers.

Source:
http://www.metropolismag.com/Point-of-View/November-2016/In-Three-Maps-The-US-Urban-Rural-Divide/
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/11/09/behind-trumps-victory-divisions-by-race-gender-education/

Asking liberal vs conservative is basically asking the same thing as "what's the bigger divide in American politics between democrats and republicans:  urban vs rural or democrats vs republicans?"

It's, like, tautological.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2016, 09:37:08 PM »

1. Urban vs. Rural (Been the center of conflict in all American politics since the inception of the republic)
2. White vs. Non-white (Still a large issue depending on where you are)
3. Millenial vs. Baby Boomer (Not real)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2016, 10:00:16 PM »

I'm a big fan of technocracy, but it's a tool that's only as good as the assumptions, goals, and values you bring into it. There's no reason that a technocrat's methods can't be employed for the interests of the agrarian populist. As such, the fundamental divide must be at least one step prior to this; the divide must be in the values/assumptions/goals that the urbanites bring to their methods against the values/goals the agrarians hold.

Like people are honest about or ever want to talk about those things without going off on straw men and idenitarian tangents.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2016, 03:20:10 PM »

I would agree. Technocrats have a fundamentally different vision from agrarians. It's not that common ground is impossible and a lot of the gap is based on mutual ignorance. For that gap to ever be bridged in a meaningful sense would require a seismic shift in attitudes, and these attitudes are born primarily out of the differences between urban and rural life.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2016, 03:44:08 AM »

I would agree. Technocrats have a fundamentally different vision from agrarians. It's not that common ground is impossible and a lot of the gap is based on mutual ignorance. For that gap to ever be bridged in a meaningful sense would require a seismic shift in attitudes, and these attitudes are born primarily out of the differences between urban and rural life.
He's talking about how he views technocrat as more of a method/style/tactic than an ideology, and agrarian more like an ideology (and culture).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies