Trump's cabinet: All white males?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:42:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump's cabinet: All white males?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Trump's cabinet: All white males?  (Read 3795 times)
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 17, 2016, 02:42:54 PM »

Just wondering if the white lash vote will have performed its magic.
elcorazon

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 02:45:43 PM »

probably will be some white women too.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 03:13:38 PM »

Appatently they're vetting nikki haley for SOS.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 03:33:08 PM »

As long a they're competent, I don't care. They could be Quarians for all I care.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 03:40:36 PM »

As long a they're competent, I don't care. They could be Quarians for all I care.

Apparently its racist to say you don't care about race.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 04:24:02 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2016, 04:25:42 PM by hermit »

You must be a white male.

If so, if not.....there's a whole world of people out there of all colors and both sexes who are competent at doing their jobs. A cabinet of white males only does not represent America in all its depth and complexity.

And it's also a step backwards.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 04:25:30 PM »

If so, if not.....there's a whole world of people out there of all colors and both sexes who are competent at doing their jobs. A cabinet of white males only does not represent America in all its depth and complexity.

Should Trump nominate an incompetent minority over a more competent white male solely for diversity, then? If so, then that harms the nation.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 04:27:36 PM »

It probably won't be, but diversity for diversity's sake is stupid and terrible.  Just appoint whoever is best for the job!
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 04:37:20 PM »

It's all a matter of opinion who is more competent than whom. Obama picked a diversity of people for positions and the country didn't fall apart.

It's just plain wrong to exclude everyone right off the bat but white males when making decisions about positions to fill. I see lots of bias and prejudice going on here.

Sad.

100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 04:44:16 PM »

It's all a matter of opinion who is more competent than whom. Obama picked a diversity of people for positions and the country didn't fall apart.

It's just plain wrong to exclude everyone right off the bat but white males when making decisions about positions to fill. I see lots of bias and prejudice going on here.

Sad.

That is not what we are saying.  I don't view diversity as a priority, but it's not something to try to stop either.  If it happens, great.  If not, great too.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 04:46:36 PM »

EdSec is essentially confirmed to either be a Jewish woman or an Asian woman.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2016, 04:52:02 PM »

Here's an interesting article.

"Trump’s administration is looking like it’ll be very white and very male"

"In short, it looks like Trump’s world will largely consist of white men — significantly more so than previous administrations."

Check out the list.

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/11/10/13582730/trump-cabinet-advisers-white-men
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2016, 04:54:08 PM »

Should Trump nominate an incompetent minority over a more competent white male solely for diversity, then? If so, then that harms the nation.

all the people Trump is thinking of appointing are remarkably incompetent white males.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2016, 04:58:19 PM »

And they happen to be (mostly) qualified white males for that matter. I guess we can take a chance and put Nikki Haley at State even though she knows little about foreign policy and will easily be blackmailed by Putin or the Chinese due to her penchant to cheat on her active duty military spouse, but eff it, lets have diversity for the sake of diversity.

Oh and Michelle Rhee is going to be a lock on Education. So yeah, it isn't actually going to be all white male.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2016, 05:36:21 PM »

And they happen to be (mostly) qualified white males for that matter. I guess we can take a chance and put Nikki Haley at State even though she knows little about foreign policy and will easily be blackmailed by Putin or the Chinese due to her penchant to cheat on her active duty military spouse, but eff it, lets have diversity for the sake of diversity.

Oh and Michelle Rhee is going to be a lock on Education. So yeah, it isn't actually going to be all white male.

Haley is a remarkably dumb pick for state regardless.

It's just Giuliani or Bolton are both horrible choices too.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2016, 05:51:56 PM »

It's a white man's country, so an all white male cabinet is exactly what the country is entitled to. /alt-right
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2016, 06:07:35 PM »

"In short, it looks like Trump’s world will largely consist of white men — significantly more so than previous administrations."

Check out the list.

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/11/10/13582730/trump-cabinet-advisers-white-men
Ugh. Vox Roll Eyes
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2016, 06:40:32 PM »

Check out the list.

Ugh. Vox Roll Eyes
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2016, 06:46:23 PM »

People, look at this rationally. Let's assume that of the total pool of individuals qualified to work in a Republican administration, about 70% are white men. (I don't know what the true estimate is, but I assume it's around that bullpark given conservatives are disproportionately white and male). Therefore, we can assume that if there is no bias in the part of the transition team, the proportion of white male appointees would be not significantly different from our 70% ballpark. If you were to analyse the results with, like, a chi-squared test, and you find the number of appointed white males are significantly higher than our estimate you could make two different conclusions (a) the original estimate was off, and the representation of white males in the conservative recruitment pool is even more disproportionate relative to the population than expected or (b) there is bias on the part of the transition team.

Like, I know people are fond of meritocracy, but you have to listen to the rules of probability. If President-elect Sanders was coming to office and two-thirds of his nominees were from Vermont you might be suspicious that such an assortment would be the product of a biased executive, given that the available pool of Democratic nominees have no way near that many Vermonters. Likewise, arguing that an all male cabinet or all made advisors would be the result of pure meritocracy and coincidence strains credibility in an era where women are increasingly likely to be as qualified as men.

The good news for Trump is that I think it is more likely to be conclusion (a) that is correct rather than his administration explicitly -  Republicans and conservatives in general are old boys clubs. Vox lists 60 people in that article (potential cabinet picks + advisors) of which eight are women. That's 13% which is not especially different from the percentage of congressional republicans that are female (around 10%). We'll see what the numbers are like once they are whittled down of course.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2016, 06:49:11 PM »

The funny thing is, Michelle Rhee, Nikki Haley (barf), Victoria Lipnic, Naomi Earp, and Bobby Jindal are all pretty likely contenders for domestic policy positions in the cabinet. But don't let facts stand in the way of the narrative.

It's a white man's country, so an all white male cabinet is exactly what the country is entitled to. /alt-right
You have no idea how personally satisfying it is to get you watch snip away from the sidelines powerlessly. You have nothing but snark left.

Drink up while the gettings good guys!
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2016, 07:18:16 PM »

You have no idea how personally satisfying it is to get you watch snip away from the sidelines powerlessly. You have nothing but snark left.

Where did you get the idea that was snark? It's what a lot of Trump supporters think. Whatever perverted merriment you got out of that comment is your problem.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2016, 07:28:04 PM »

Sorry but it's not Democrat tears. America loses when its leadership is not representative of the citizens of this fine country.

But then, I guess Trump is going to make America Great Again. Right? And that means America's voice will be predominantly white male, because white makes right, right?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2016, 07:29:47 PM »

Sorry but it's not Democrat tears. America loses when its leadership is not representative of the citizens of this fine country.

But then, I guess Trump is going to make America Great Again. Right? And that means America's voice will be predominantly white male, because white makes right, right?
This is a really good example of projection.

Where did you get the idea that was snark? It's what a lot of Trump supporters think. Whatever perverted merriment you got out of that comment is your problem.
Wow, deflection really isn't your strong suit.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2016, 07:45:05 PM »

The funny thing is, Michelle Rhee, Nikki Haley (barf), Victoria Lipnic, Naomi Earp, and Bobby Jindal are all pretty likely contenders for domestic policy positions in the cabinet. But don't let facts stand in the way of the narrative.

Let's see if he actually goes that route. Personally, I'd be surprised if even Louisiana Republicans would let Jindal through confirmation considering how unpopular he still is in that state.

What domestic policy position are Haley and Earp being considered for? I know she was thrown around for state, which is a joke.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2016, 07:54:00 PM »

I would be genuinely disappointed if it was all men.

Hopefully Ivanka gets a chance to be Secretary of Defense.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies