Making English the national language
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:05:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Making English the national language
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Making English the national language  (Read 1447 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 16, 2016, 08:28:01 PM »

Should Trump push for English as the official language of the United States? It's a great way to throw red meat at his base while not pissing off moderate whites or non-SJW non-whites. And it will make the SJW's overreact. Should he do it?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 08:39:32 PM »

The base will be angry: in America we speak American!
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 10:25:29 PM »

No, America doesn't need an official language.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 10:29:12 PM »

This is one of the most pointless things.  English is our language, why would wasting money and time making it "official" change anything.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 10:42:26 PM »

This is one of the most pointless things.  English is our language, why would wasting money and time making it "official" change anything.

For the exact reasons the OP said: to gain the approval of his stupid base, and to enrage his stupid opponents. (His smart opponents will quietly cheer. Trump has already won the election, and making sure that the GOP share of Hispanics and other immigrant voting blocks drops even further can only hurt the GOP. I don't think he has any intelligent supporters.)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 11:07:15 AM »

Agreed, there is no reason (except for Trump's political agenda).
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 11:37:45 AM »

Why not put more time and money into getting people to speak and write English better?
Perhaps that is a lost cause.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 12:44:32 PM »

no.

We don't require an official language.  Also, it creates more problems than it solves.  Those who don't speak it well will be marginalized, with economic consequences for all.  Also, in the case of a public emergency the government would not be able to effectively help affected citizens.  Most importantly, we gringos are not known for our willingness to learn other languages.  Making English official may discourage language training even more, which can have negative implications for international trade and diplomacy.

And, frankly, its unconstitutional.  Article 10 expressly forbids such federal intrusions upon the sovereignty of the state legislatures.

The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 01:23:23 PM »

No.

Just stop printing official materials in other languages unless they're immigration related papers. If you are a citizen of the United States, you need to speak English and understand it.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 01:34:55 PM »

No.

Just stop printing official materials in other languages unless they're immigration related papers. If you are a citizen of the United States, you need to speak English and understand it.

Very nice magical thinking.

Whether you like it or not, there are people who are citizens and who are functionally illiterate in English. And you can't magically teach it to them overnight.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 12:48:15 AM »

No.

Print government documents in all common languages. If people can go through their daily lives in the US without english, there's no reason to force them to learn it.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 02:12:51 AM »

America has a long history of countless languages being spoken by its citizens and residents, this is nothing new. Even in living memory, there were parts of our country where German was the dominant language, written on police vehicles and in print media. There are places in New York state where street signs are in Yiddish. My great-grandparents didn't speak any English and lived here just fine. Establishing a national language at this point would be ridiculous and clearly aimed at discriminating against Hispanic immigrants.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 10:19:41 AM »

No.

Whether you like it or not, there are people who are citizens and who are functionally illiterate in English. And you can't magically teach it to them overnight.

And why do we accept that? Why don't we have a common language where everyone can communicate in? That seems bizarre to me.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2016, 10:37:00 AM »

America has a long history of countless languages being spoken by its citizens and residents, this is nothing new. Even in living memory, there were parts of our country where German was the dominant language, written on police vehicles and in print media. There are places in New York state where street signs are in Yiddish. My great-grandparents didn't speak any English and lived here just fine. Establishing a national language at this point would be ridiculous and clearly aimed at discriminating against Hispanic immigrants.

Good post.  I can't help but roll my eyes who act like assimilating is this offensive, bad thing, but forcing it on people is just wrong.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2016, 12:16:55 PM »

My grandparents were German immigrants from Russia and Romania and never spoke English, and my parents had to go to school to learn English. 

Anyway, if English is declared the national language, the native speakers in my classes are going to be in trouble.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2016, 12:59:16 PM »

Care to explain why?
TDantuono
Rookie
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2016, 01:22:22 PM »

It's a good idea.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2016, 01:50:30 PM »

Great idea.  Although I prefer this takes place at the State level.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2016, 01:51:40 PM »

This would be dumb and pointless.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2016, 01:54:15 PM »

What are the complications and consequences down the road if we don't make English the national language? That's what I'd like to know.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2016, 02:18:26 PM »

No.

And why do we accept that? Why don't we have a common language where everyone can communicate in? That seems bizarre to me.
Because you might find, with the attitude you have, that they don't wish to communicate with you at all!
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2016, 02:20:49 PM »

vileplume
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2016, 02:24:28 PM »

Great idea.  Although I prefer this takes place at the State level.

33 States already have English as their official language anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_territorial_entities_where_English_is_an_official_language
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2016, 02:26:41 PM »

I'm from the old school on this subject I think. So I have a question if anyone would care to answer.

WHY don't people want to learn English, the language of their country of CHOICE?
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2016, 02:32:54 PM »

I'm from the old school on this subject I think. So I have a question if anyone would care to answer.

WHY don't people want to learn English, the language of their country of CHOICE?

I think they have the right to not learn English.  I just do not fell there should be any public subsides (like multi-language government documentation etc etc) to support that behavior.  They should bear the economic consequences of their decision without subsidies from the public sector.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies