The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:16:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 74
Poll
Question: Who should become Chairman of the DNC?
Keith Ellison
Tom Perez
Pete Buttigieg
Ray Buckley
Jaime Harrison
Sally Boynton Brown
Jehmu Greene
Sam Ronan
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: The Next DNC Chair: TOM PEREZ WINS, makes Ellison deputy chair  (Read 108051 times)
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #925 on: February 23, 2017, 01:43:28 PM »

Yea not surprising by him, just waited for his TV appearance for exposure but it won't get him no where since he's another coporate shill.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #926 on: February 23, 2017, 01:44:56 PM »

Oh yes, because Obama was great at picking DNC chairs so far.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #927 on: February 23, 2017, 01:45:28 PM »

No wonder Trump is our president, f**k the incompetent DNC
Trapsy

« Reply #928 on: February 23, 2017, 01:48:30 PM »

ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #929 on: February 23, 2017, 01:49:56 PM »

Hasn't Obama done enough with his incompetence handling the DNC?
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #930 on: February 23, 2017, 01:51:26 PM »

1. Obama should have stayed out of this. Bad move. Bad bad move.

2. Perez may have enough support now to win on the 1st ballot.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #931 on: February 23, 2017, 01:55:03 PM »

Just came to post this.

At first I thought Ellison would win hands down; but looks like Perez has it sealed. (feel free to quote this next week) As always internal elections are actually more interesting to see who's backing who- Dean/Rendell backing Buttigieg for example

If Perez wins this, I'll be genuinely infuriated. I will never register as a Democrat if their administration continues with these stupid games.

If Perez wins, it won't matter if you do or don't. Perez winning will be the Democratic party as an organization telling us all that it will oppose Trump only as much as it needs to in order to keep the corporate money flowing. And that will be their death knell, nationally. It'll be an endless succession of  Hillary-style (or much worse) candidates who will win only safe elections, or when then GOP utterly disgraces themselves.

Trump opponents need to stay united, but we all need to be committed to actually opposing Trump.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #932 on: February 23, 2017, 01:58:20 PM »

Well, the priority then was funneling money toward his and then HRC's presidential campaigns, and the priority now is funneling donor money toward the foundation. Perez should be great at that - a "progressive who gets things done." Who cares about winning piddling local elections? Let them eat fentanyl.

This is the truth unfortunately. 
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #933 on: February 23, 2017, 02:02:48 PM »

This is absolutely infuriating. The establishment can't even make ONE concession to the Bernie people. Instead, they need to push their pick through backroom deals, DESPITE the fact Ellison and Buttigieg have far more public support, DESPITE the fact that Ellison has more experience actually winning elections, DESPITE the fact this newfound enthusiasm on the left has come from the progressive wing and not the Obama/Hillary centrist faction.

Screw the DNC. They have no idea what they're doing. They'd rather go against the grain to rebel against "those evil BernieBros" instead of actually win elections. I hope they have enough sense to see where the real change is occurring and vote for Ellison or Buttigieg, but that's looking less and less likely every day.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #934 on: February 23, 2017, 02:04:01 PM »

I understand Obama wanting Perez but Ellison race for DNC is basically an ode to Obama 08. He has the  Bernie wing of the party and the black establishment. I haven't found anyone who is actually behind Perez for Perez. His major argument is a black muslim from MN can't relate to WWC. But a Dominican from Bethesda can good luck DNC.
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #935 on: February 23, 2017, 02:06:02 PM »

I understand Obama wanting Perez but Ellison race for DNC is basically an ode to Obama 08. He has the  Bernie wing of the party and the black establishment. I haven't found anyone who is actually behind Perez for Perez. His major argument is a black muslim from MN can't relate to WWC. But a Dominican from Bethesda can good luck DNC.

I think relating to WWC is far less important than competent management and a desire to steer clear of drama. Of course, that would have been an argument against Dean in 04, which he turned out to be the best DNC chair in the past 30 years.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #936 on: February 23, 2017, 02:18:13 PM »

What even is the argument for Perez? What is he saying is so wrong with Ellison that he had to jump in?
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #937 on: February 23, 2017, 02:19:39 PM »

This is absolutely infuriating. The establishment can't even make ONE concession to the Bernie people. Instead, they need to push their pick through backroom deals, DESPITE the fact Ellison and Buttigieg have far more public support, DESPITE the fact that Ellison has more experience actually winning elections, DESPITE the fact this newfound enthusiasm on the left has come from the progressive wing and not the Obama/Hillary centrist faction.

Screw the DNC. They have no idea what they're doing. They'd rather go against the grain to rebel against "those evil BernieBros" instead of actually win elections. I hope they have enough sense to see where the real change is occurring and vote for Ellison or Buttigieg, but that's looking less and less likely every day.

The DNC's real worry is that the Sandernistas will put an end to their cozy (and lucrative) relationship with Wall Street and other corporate power-blocs. An economically left-leaning Dem party (and it doesn't even need to lean very much) as opposed to the technocratic-centrist one we've had for the last 3 decades, will not need (or want) to go begging for 1% scraps. And nothing frightens the D establishment more.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #938 on: February 23, 2017, 02:20:47 PM »

Updated prediction:

Round 1: Perez 229, Ellison 181, Buttigieg 21, Boynton Brown 15, Greene/Peckarsky/Ronan 1

Congratulations, DNC. Hope you're happy.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #939 on: February 23, 2017, 02:23:20 PM »

Well, the priority then was funneling money toward his and then HRC's presidential campaigns, and the priority now is funneling donor money toward the foundation. Perez should be great at that - a "progressive who gets things done." Who cares about winning piddling local elections? Let them eat fentanyl.

There's something absolutely terrifying about this mentality that's pervasive among Dems. Perez isn't going to stop the overflow of corporate money into the DNC; Ellison is.

This is why Dems are quickly becoming a coastal party, and will continue if there isn't a shift towards social democracy and progressivism. They aren't willing to sacrifice their corporate donations. They've turned away from the support of unions and liberal organizations, and have become completely reliant on corporations to fund campaigns. That's not only proven to be unsuccessful in local elections during the Obama years, it's extremely dangerous in this era of Trump to lose elections. But because supporting progressive policies, like getting big money out of campaigns, cuts into their bottom line, they aren't willing to make that change. And that's a terrible philosophy of party politics, because not only does that show they didn't learn ANYTHING, they are actively trying to fight new party energy.

There's no focus on change, or any real accounting for the middle and working class. They only want to change how they "message" their terrible economic policies to workers.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #940 on: February 23, 2017, 02:38:06 PM »

While I agree it's disappointing that it looks like Ellison or Buttigieg won't win, I think people are overrating the actual power the DNC head has.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #941 on: February 23, 2017, 03:00:32 PM »

While I agree it's disappointing that it looks like Ellison or Buttigieg won't win, I think people are overrating the actual power the DNC head has.
It's not about the power of the DNC.

It's about symbolism. And making Bernie people feel like the DNC is no longer rigged against them.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #942 on: February 23, 2017, 03:19:08 PM »

This is quasi Obama vs Sanders race at this point. Is it surprising that Obama will probably win? I mean, he was president for 8 years...
Fusionmunster

« Reply #943 on: February 23, 2017, 03:55:08 PM »

Why now, does everyone care about a position that has meant very little in the past? Why place more meaning into this then there needs to be? Everyone is just going to end up being disappointed when the essences of the party establishment chooses the establishment candidate. If the Sanders wing is the future, they will take over the party in due time anyway.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #944 on: February 23, 2017, 03:58:59 PM »

Why now, does everyone care about a position that has meant very little in the past? Why place more meaning into this then there needs to be? Everyone is just going to end up being disappointed when the essences of the party establishment chooses the establishment candidate. If the Sanders wing is the future, they will take over the party in due time anyway.
Because DNC corruption became a general election campaign issue, thanks to Trump and Russian hackers
Fusionmunster

« Reply #945 on: February 23, 2017, 04:01:20 PM »

Because DNC corruption became a general election campaign issue, thanks to Trump and Russian hackers

But why is Perez a symbol of DNC corruption? Its not like he and Ellison differ on anything meaningful. Its not like Perez has a history of corruption. The Bernie-wing has placed all its eggs in Ellison and I have no idea why. 
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #946 on: February 23, 2017, 04:03:47 PM »

But why is Perez a symbol of DNC corruption? Its not like he and Ellison differ on anything meaningful. Its not like Perez has a history of corruption. The Bernie-wing has placed all its eggs in Ellison and I have no idea why. 

If they don't differ on anything meaningful why did he challenge Ellison?
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #947 on: February 23, 2017, 04:04:59 PM »

Because the one issue where they do openly differ is corporate money?
Fusionmunster

« Reply #948 on: February 23, 2017, 04:05:10 PM »

If they don't differ on anything meaningful why did he challenge Ellison?

More than likely, because Obama told him he should.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #949 on: February 23, 2017, 04:05:44 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2017, 04:11:24 PM by Fusionmunster »

Because the one issue where they do openly differ is corporate money?

I dont think thats true.

Edit:

Perez called it a complicated problem, Ellison wants to put it up to a DNC vote. That means Ellison has a way out to keep corporate donations flowing and keep the base satisfied.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies