Was this election a white-lash against the changing demographics?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 03:47:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Was this election a white-lash against the changing demographics?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Skip
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 76

Author Topic: Was this election a white-lash against the changing demographics?  (Read 1470 times)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 10, 2016, 03:33:33 PM »

Does anyone get a sense but this election was the backlash against the changing demographics of this country because looking at the exit polls it seems like Trump did a lot better with whites than even Reagan did
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 03:34:49 PM »

"white-lash" yes. against demographics per se, no......

since i am a kind person, i think it's still about economical stuff and since reasonable aid didn't help, they are ready for less reasonable "solutions".
TDwest6
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 03:35:51 PM »

The liberal assumption that white Trump supporters must be racists is a false one. It was a lack of inspiration on the Democratic party and Pandering Hillary's part. With an attitude like this, you'll never win the midwest again.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 04:17:41 PM »

No. When you run an uninspiring crook on a platform of "vote for me or you are an irredeemable bigot" expect not to win.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 04:19:51 PM »

i think the assumptions runs more like "all racists are voting trump" than all trump voters are racist.

how sensitive you are to such things is your own responsibility.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 04:34:06 PM »

No.

I saw the CNN guy having his moment, and fair enough, he felt that this was punishment for electing Barack Obama.

Not in 8 years did i find, hear or sense that as an issue with his Presidency.

I never doubt the way people feel as genuine, but i think his anger was misplaced.

The voters did elect a President based on issues that 'hurt' them.

Metallifreak10
Rookie
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 07:21:44 PM »

Trump won 58% of the white vote. Romney won 59%. Didn't Reagan win close to 65% of the white vote?
In rural USA, you saw one thing everywhere. Huge swings in Trumps favor. That means a lot of 2012 Obama voters in rural areas, voted Trump this year.

Are there a lot of racists that voted for Trump? Yes. But to act as if that was the only reason is ridiculous.
AltRightRepublican
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 07:26:57 PM »

Trump won 58% of the white vote. Romney won 59%. Didn't Reagan win close to 65% of the white vote?
In rural USA, you saw one thing everywhere. Huge swings in Trumps favor. That means a lot of 2012 Obama voters in rural areas, voted Trump this year.

Are there a lot of racists that voted for Trump? Yes. But to act as if that was the only reason is ridiculous.

You have to understand that facts are inherently racist. Please check your privledge the next time you post.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2016, 07:28:04 PM »

Well considering hate crimes are rising after his election, perhaps in part yes. Not entirely, but it does have that element.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2016, 07:30:12 PM »

like i said....

all racists are voting trump - even if they are a deplorable minority of his votes.

and they feel vindicated through his victory and free to state their "opinion" open.

Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2016, 07:32:35 PM »

I mean, we've been talking demographic shifts since the late 1980s at least. If that's really what it is, shouldn't it have happened earlier?
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2016, 07:34:45 PM »

No. Trump won white Obamers and minorities (or Clinton failed with those groups)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2016, 07:45:27 PM »

Well the economic argument struggles considering the margins she got with Black/latino WC voters compared to white ones...
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2016, 09:37:21 PM »

I think is was a whitelash.

I always thought that Republicans had a problem with Obama since his skin tone was dark. Didn't matter that he is half white, half black, he looked black, and I don't think many in Congress could handle it. Sorry but I really do believe this. That's why they couldn't work with him and blocked his every move.

I don't think it was all whitelash, but I do think that was the main reason for electing the white gorilla. It's human nature what just happened.

Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2016, 09:48:18 PM »

I always thought that Republicans had a problem with Obama since his skin tone was dark. Didn't matter that he is half white, half black, he looked black, and I don't think many in Congress could handle it. Sorry but I really do believe this. That's why they couldn't work with him and blocked his every move.

I don't think it was all whitelash, but I do think that was the main reason for electing the white gorilla. It's human nature what just happened.

According to polls:
- Trump was doing better with minorities
- Did much better in rural counties, where Obama did great/pretty well.

If I was you, I'd wait with "analysis" before there is some deeper study. But right now it seems, like Trump won a lot of Obama's voters and lost some of Romney's rather than brought a lot of new.

Deal with it Smiley
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2016, 09:50:58 PM »

According to polls:

If I was you, I'd wait with "analysis" before there is some deeper study. But right now it seems, like Trump won a lot of Obama's voters and lost some of Romney's rather than brought a lot of new.

Deal with it Smiley

I don't have to deal with anything. I'm one of the "privileged" whites.

I'm just calling it as I see it.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2016, 09:52:31 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2016, 09:54:41 PM by Cashew »

Yeah that's why after voting for Obama twice the rust belt states decided "well we're gonna be racist now"!

But seriously there is a sickness at the heart of the republican party, But the main blame falls on talk radio for peddling lies about Obama, not Race.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2016, 09:57:14 PM »

According to polls:

Deal with it Smiley

I don't have to deal with anything. I'm one of the "privileged" whites.

I'm just calling it as I see it.

Eh... Sigh.
cwt

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2016, 09:58:03 PM »

No. The election was a result of the Democratic party losing touch with the working class.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2016, 10:01:07 PM »

But seriously there is a sickness at the heart of the republican party, But the main blame falls on talk radio for peddling lies about Obama, not Race.

What does it have to do with Obama? His ratings are still solid.

But while left is talking about "sickness at the heart" President Trump doesn't need to worry about reelection. Keep it up! Smiley
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2016, 10:10:02 PM »

Yeah that's why after voting for Obama twice the rust belt states decided "well we're gonna be racist now"!

Sorry if I wasn't more clear, but I was talking about Congress having a problem with Obama and the color of his skin. I did not write down clearly what I meant, but that's what I meant. And that's why the Republicans in Congress tried to block Obama's every move.

I don't feel that Republicans in general, the voting base, are racist.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2016, 10:14:58 PM »

But while left is talking about "sickness at the heart" President Trump doesn't need to worry about reelection. Keep it up! Smiley

You don't mind that talk radio to this day are spreading lies about Obama being a Muslim, homosexual,atheist,communist?

What about jade helm?

What about Obama cancelling the election?

Is it so hard for you to admit that the people who spread this are evil?
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2016, 10:32:18 PM »

You don't mind that talk radio to this day are spreading lies about Obama being a Muslim, homosexual,atheist,communist?

What about jade helm?

I thought, you were talking about republican voters.

But still, "talk radio" is still much better than mainstream media, well, because they don't really have any influence. Like at all?

Mainstream media does. And missuses it.
mencken
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2016, 10:38:12 PM »

I always thought that Republicans had a problem with Obama since his skin tone was dark. Didn't matter that he is half white, half black, he looked black

It probably did not help matters that the man himself said his hypothetical son would look like a random hoodlum.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2016, 10:40:48 PM »

What about jade helm?

I thought, you were talking about republican voters.

But still, "talk radio" is still much better than mainstream media, well, because they don't really have any influence. Like at all?

Mainstream media does. And missuses it.

Ok the media are scum. You happy? Now your turn. What distraction will you use next?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies