Do you need a support group to get past a Trump victory?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:20:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you need a support group to get past a Trump victory?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: WEll?
Yes

No

Good God No.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Do you need a support group to get past a Trump victory?  (Read 1459 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 10, 2016, 12:38:32 PM »

Mrs. Grumps got this email from the university she's a professor at:

Hi –

The political issues have caused stress and concern for months – and now the election is over.  Many folks are struggling because of the result and sometimes it’s hard to process what you think or feel.

Please come to a Post Election Support Group today (Sorry it’s such short notice!) from 3:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. in Room 602.  I will be facilitating the group and we’ll discuss thoughts, feelings and moving forward.  It’s just a time to connect with others in the campus community and perhaps feel a bit better.

This is completely voluntary!  I hope I see you this afternoon.

They had one for students yesterday.  Ugh.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 12:44:40 PM »

Goodness gracious, these people are totally unfit to do anything in life.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 12:48:47 PM »

Goodness gracious, these people are totally unfit to do anything in life.

I'd bet you the best steak in town the room is overflowing.  Roll Eyes
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 12:55:08 PM »

I'm not old enough to really remember the last time a Republican has been elected President, are people always this drastic about it?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 12:58:44 PM »

I'm not old enough to really remember the last time a Republican has been elected President, are people always this drastic about it?

Bush v. Gore - yes

Bush v. Kerry - not so much, no.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 01:04:08 PM »

I'm just as worried as the next guy (and before you say "at least you're not an American", I'm concerned about geopolitical consequences in my region), but come on...
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 01:15:27 PM »

Christ, no this isn't the time to cry on mommy's shoulder and beg the Republican party for mercy. We, the REAL MEN™ who continue to vote Democrat must act like REAL MEN™ and do to Donald Trump what they did to Obama these past eight years. I plan to get involved in some form and help stop this cancer from spreading any further, because that's what people who really care about this country must do.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 01:18:17 PM »

I'm concerned about geopolitical consequences in my region

I'd be too if I were you.

Seriously, though, I think he'll have to rethink the anti-NATO stance, and lots of other crazy campaign promises, now that he's the president-elect.

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2016, 01:29:26 PM »

Bush v. Gore - yes

Which is as much as to say 'not when the Republican actually wins the popular vote'.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2016, 01:33:03 PM »

Bush v. Gore - yes

Which is as much as to say 'not when the Republican actually wins the popular vote'.

I'm ok with the EV system -

Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2016, 01:35:51 PM »

No, but I need a copious stream of alcohol, narcotics, and sex.

And coming to terms with the fact that we're f**ked with a nationalist right and a radical left that's emboldened and furious.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2016, 01:40:24 PM »

Bush v. Gore - yes

I'm ok with the EV system -

But that's so not why we have an Electoral College system:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Plus, is there any more justice in the grey areas overriding the blue areas than having the blue areas overriding the grey areas simply because they have more land? That seems like a horrible and almost feudalistic path to go down.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2016, 01:44:11 PM »

True, but it's exactly why it needs to stay in.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2016, 01:46:16 PM »

True, but it's exactly why it needs to stay in.

No. No other developed Democracy weights its votes by area, and they are able to ensure a popular mandate. Again, why should they grey counties in your map be given disproportionate influence simply because of their land area?
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2016, 01:53:09 PM »

Yes, obviously. I die a little when this site crashes and I can't post here.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2016, 02:09:44 PM »

Plus, as your map assumes that all of the largest population centers are able to vote unanimously against the rest of the country, which also theoretically votes unanimously for someone else, here's another, equally likely scenario:

Let's suppose a candidate wins all of the smallest states by exactly one vote, and gets absolutely walloped in the rest of the states:

Here's the vote totals for this scenario

Green - 33,757861 (26.15%) 282 EV
Yellow - 95,327,542 (73.85%) 256 EV

Green wins despite losing the popular vote by 48 points - roughly Mitt Romney's margin in Utah.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2016, 02:23:32 PM »

Christ, no this isn't the time to cry on mommy's shoulder and beg the Republican party for mercy. We, the REAL MEN™ who continue to vote Democrat must act like REAL MEN™ and do to Donald Trump what they did to Obama these past eight years. I plan to get involved in some form and help stop this cancer from spreading any further, because that's what people who really care about this country must do.

Exactly this. It's what I've been trying to reiterate to everyone I know who voted for Hillary. If you love this country, you will accept the results of this election and not show weakness, thereby giving the GOP more ammunition for these next four years. Regroup, refocus, vote in 2018.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2016, 02:29:25 PM »

Plus, as your map assumes that all of the largest population centers are able to vote unanimously against the rest of the country,

It's not my map but I used it and it's a hyperbolic statement the big cities are predominantly dems and really has a disproportionate effect on the outcome if pv carried the day.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2016, 02:45:12 PM »

We survived 8 years with an idiot president and a bond villain vice president, we will survive a giant misogynistic Cheeto.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2016, 03:14:18 PM »

We survived 8 years with an idiot president and a bond villain vice president, we will survive a giant misogynistic Cheeto.
Can you tell this girl who I went to middle school with that? She's convinced that since she's pansexual, Trump is going to drag her out of her large McMansion in a suburban cookie cutter Palm Beach gated community and when I tried to say "you'll be fine" I got attacked as being "privileged."

My response was to post a picture of my ratty shoes that don't have soles and have holes in the side that are falling apart-I've had them for five years because I live a very austere lifestyle when it comes to clothes and technology (my I-Phone is an I-Phone 3), but she didn't know any better and it made her look stupid, which is really all I wanted anyway.

Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2016, 04:51:32 PM »

Plus, as your map assumes that all of the largest population centers are able to vote unanimously against the rest of the country,

It's not my map but I used it and it's a hyperbolic statement the big cities are predominantly dems and really has a disproportionate effect on the outcome if pv carried the day.

So big cities should have their power diluted because rural areas don't have as many people as cities?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2016, 05:13:30 PM »

Can you tell this girl who I went to middle school with that? She's convinced that since she's pansexual, Trump is going to drag her out of her large McMansion in a suburban cookie cutter Palm Beach gated community and when I tried to say "you'll be fine" I got attacked as being "privileged."

My response was to post a picture of my ratty shoes that don't have soles and have holes in the side that are falling apart-I've had them for five years because I live a very austere lifestyle when it comes to clothes and technology (my I-Phone is an I-Phone 3), but she didn't know any better and it made her look stupid, which is really all I wanted anyway.

Economic misfortune is not an innate trait quite like pansexuality, my friend. She can't help it. Big difference. Plus, did she tell you that she actually works part-time? And she may have a lot of shoes but wasn't able to travel this year?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2016, 05:16:03 PM »

Support group? No.

A resistance group on the other hand....
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2016, 05:20:46 PM »

I have a support group.  It's called the Netherlands.  I have a job interview there next Monday.  Tongue
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2016, 05:40:28 PM »

I have a few friends who are suffering.

In particular, my female friends and my girlfriend in particular is not happy.

But one common complaint I would have of the US Education system is respect for the democratic process and being able to allow the will of the people to prevail peacefully.

Just because the University students have been tweeting "OMG, Trump is so disgusting!" to each other for the last 6 months does not make Hillary President.

My 14yo son loves Donald Trump because of the wall. He just likes the black and white ideal of keeping a border safe. But in a left wing educational institution, he would get suspended in Australia if he wore a Trump T-Shirt to school. It's that far left in the educational regime.

Not that we own any.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies