So long and thanks for all the pish! (j/k):D
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:21:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  So long and thanks for all the pish! (j/k):D
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: So long and thanks for all the pish! (j/k):D  (Read 281 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 09, 2016, 06:39:46 AM »

It's been 13 years.

It's time to go. This is going to be an effort post, but I've been here long enough to think I deserve one Cheesy

I had made a decision, for my own and my husband's sanity, to leave anyway. What happened last night was a shock, but I knew it was coming eventually, if not now, then in mid terms, or in four years. You can't bottle something like that up once it's been let loose. The new reality of politics makes posting on a site like this more of a stress, more of an effort than a pleasure. It's been hard these past few years to be in the position that I have been, where I am in a country (the UK) that I don't want to be part of. I am not British. But I am Scottish, regardless of where we are constitutionally.

But my husband is American and that aspect of politics has always been a burning passion for me. It's why I joined all those years ago. But he has also made it very real these past five years.  I can't console him, ashen faced at 3am and then wade through the entrails online, disconnected from the effect it has. I can't do it anymore. It isn't fair.

It's just stopped being fun. I always promised myself I would stop, when that happened. It's happened so I'm stopping.

I had written a few parting shots. A few thanks and a few annoyances, but I decided not to, because ultimately I hope I have more friends than enemies. I know who likes me and who doesn't and it's been a relief, even with the potential for online anonymity to be myself and be judged based on that.

Unfortunately for me, all my maps are on here. So I want to leave them hosted. I won't be doing the random password re-set but I'll be here for a week or so to wrap things up. Do I promise not to be back? No; if anything happens on my doorstop I'll drop by. If Russian warplanes screech overhead, I'll let you know.

So. Bye Smiley

(Strangely cathartic)

Andrew
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 06:44:04 AM »

This is worse than the result of the election, tbh. Bye afleitch! Cry
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 08:36:08 PM »

*hughughug*
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 11:23:38 PM »

This is worse than the result of the election, tbh. Bye afleitch! Cry
I echo these statements.

If, at any time, you or any other Atlas member needs emotional help, advice, and etc., please PM me. I would rather lose all my time than any of you.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 02:19:36 AM »

I guess I'll make a "leaving" post as well--now that the main event is over, my posts will likely drop off over the next few days or weeks, but not out of despair over the result--I don't often feel I have much to add to other discussion boards. But this is a seasonal thing with forums for me--I'm heavily active on weather forums as well, but as my interest is primarily hurricanes, I tend to end up vanishing during winter and spring.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 02:32:35 AM »

I'll miss you, afleitch.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 02:34:07 AM »

Sad
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 08:21:00 AM »

It's been a pleasure, Andrew. When I came here eight years ago, you were the first person to write me a reassuring PM when a discussion got nasty. I've very much appreciated your posts, your insights, the sharing of experiences you've offered ever since. So, thank you for all of that. Sending all good wishes to you and your husband.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies