View from the UK
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:18:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  View from the UK
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: View from the UK  (Read 153 times)
Erimus58
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 09, 2016, 04:27:52 AM »

First post here, so excuse me for sticking my oar in!

It seems to me that the political establishments in the USA and the UK have paid the price for ignoring the small towns and rural areas of their respective countries.

In the UK I live in a small northern town but worked in London, the contrast between the two was astonishing. In London there was an almost religious belief that the BREXIT vote was going to be won by remain, whilst in my hometown I met nobody who was going to vote for remain.

The small towns felt they had been ignored for too long and voters who didn't bother voting in elections felt this was a chance to kick the establishment in the bollocks and they did.

The polling organisations seemed to underweight non-voters although, despite what I hear on a lot of US networks, LEAVE was winning the polls.

And now in the UK the party that 'rewarded' the voters with the referendum is massively ahead in the polls. Although I'm not sure we should trust the polls at he moment:-)

It seems to me that what happened in the US election is that the ignored electorate basically did the same.

It will be interesting to see how the 'elites' get the trust back of the ignored electorate.

It will be a long, hard road back for the Democrats or indeed the never Trump Republicans.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies