Trump supporters: Was this a F you to minorities or something else?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:51:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump supporters: Was this a F you to minorities or something else?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Trump supporters: Was this a F you to minorities or something else?  (Read 1678 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 09, 2016, 03:56:39 AM »

I don't want to start any fights (at least on this thread) but I am genuinely curious. I can understand Michigan and Wisconsin, but I don't understand those trends in Florida. Why? Are they really that anxious about the economy there? Or the trends in multitudes of other places that really aren't hurting that bad economically. Or was this about race? About making sure everyone was clear that this is a country for whites?
Cali123
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 03:59:50 AM »

To be honest with you the Democrats backed themselves in a corner expecting to win easily while Trump hustled to gain as much support he needed to become president. Another reason Trump won is because his voting base believed in him 100% while Clinton had her own difficulties in attracting voters and so forth.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 04:00:49 AM »

No. This was a revolt against the corrupt Establishment. Sticking it to the "Elites".
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 04:02:02 AM »

To be honest with you the Democrats backed themselves in a corner expecting to win easily while Trump hustled to gain as much support he needed to become president. Another reason Trump won is because his voting base believed in him 100% while Clinton had her own difficulties in attracting voters and so forth.

I am trying to understand the motivations of the core Trump support, not just understand why she lost. I think a more charismatic figure would have won, but as the results show, it still would have been close. So where does all this support for Trump come from? Why?
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 04:02:56 AM »

No. This was a revolt against the corrupt Establishment. Sticking it to the "Elites".

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 04:03:55 AM »

It could be. Many white 'Christians' resent the success of any identifiable minority who, by succeeding, shows that he does not know his place.

The only way for Donald Trump to give such white Christians the economic boom that they want is to impose some sort of Apartheid order. Is he amoral enough to do that? Maybe.

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 04:05:08 AM »

Actually, more of an F you to demented upper middle class white liberals who want to wipe out entire regions because of their elitist hatreds, hypochondriac-like white guilt, and lack of general ambition, morality, motivation, goals, or talent. They build only to destroy while lining their own pockets.

Basically, it was a reaction to the Ellsworth Tooheys of America.

Well yes, the overconfidence of Atlas Dems was more embarrassing than the Romney brass.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 04:07:09 AM »

I am trying to understand the motivations of the core Trump support, not just understand why she lost. I think a more charismatic figure would have won, but as the results show, it still would have been close. So where does all this support for Trump come from? Why?

Crossover Dem voters and voters who never voted or vote rarely.

Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 04:08:08 AM »

It could be. Many white 'Christians' resent the success of any identifiable minority who, by succeeding, shows that he does not know his place.

The only way for Donald Trump to give such white Christians the economic boom that they want is to impose some sort of Apartheid order. Is he amoral enough to do that? Maybe.

You promised Michigan would hold. What happened?
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 04:08:27 AM »

Sure, an F you to the establishment, i.e. the first black president.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 04:08:55 AM »

On what basis are these stupid statements being made.

You elect Clinton, a dishonest corrupt hated & unelectable candidate with a crashing Obamacare, an incredibly weak economy & you abandon your base trying to court Republicans & you blame Trump supporters?

Trump was elected by Clinton supporters IMO. And honestly what is Obama's legacy - Little minimum wage increase, TPP, Horrible economy. I understand 2012 given what a mess 2008 was but now 8 years has gone & it is still a mess & you have Hillary Clinton at the top of the ticket!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 04:09:09 AM »

*mixed race*
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2016, 04:09:44 AM »

Nothing to do with race.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2016, 04:10:15 AM »

In my ideal world, a Dem vote would mean an F U to the elites and the wall street GOP class. Reversing the dynamic made really uncomfortable; I think this is the main reason I was unenthusiastic for Hillary and why I would have been more upset at a Romney win in 2012 than I am now.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2016, 04:10:57 AM »

Lol, some of them voted for Obama. For changes. He brang none.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2016, 04:11:20 AM »

I can understand that for the industrial midwest. When Erie County, PA, a mostly white county that voted for Obama in 2012 by 16 points votes for Trump, I can't just blame that on racism. But what the hell happened in Florida or other places in the country that are doing fine economically? Why did they swing to Trump?
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2016, 04:11:39 AM »

Nothing to do withMostly about race.

SirMuxALot

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2016, 04:11:49 AM »

Or was this about race? About making sure everyone was clear that this is a country for whites?

If one persists in calling half of the country racist, one will surely miss learning the lesson here.

It's time to put the non-stop ad hominem attacks away and start making a cogent argument for your political philosophy.  Yes, it's easier to just win the argument by default by calling someone you disagree with a racist and issuing ridicule, but you do not sharpen your rhetorical skill and intellectual curiosity that way.  And one occasionally loses elections they probably should not have.

Trump also takes the Republican party further away from this ideal, much to the dislike of many of us Rs.  But I'll do my best to keep the spirit of William F. Buckley style rational exchanges of honest disagreements alive best I can.  This probably will include being a strong supporter of a primary challenge to Trump in 2020.

Bottom line is, you have honest fundamental disagreements with Rs.  Don't call them racist and other names.  Instead, grant them an assumption of sincerity, and make your case why they are merely mistaken, rather than irredeemably evil.  That will have a better chance of persuading others.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2016, 04:12:06 AM »

*mixed race*

Oh, thanks for catching that. How silly of me.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2016, 04:12:23 AM »

Nothing to do with race.

Donald Trump prepared his presidential campaign with the Birther conspiracy theory.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2016, 04:13:20 AM »

The whole premise of this thread misses the point entirely.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2016, 04:13:50 AM »

Who cares.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2016, 04:15:59 AM »

On what basis are these stupid statements being made.

You elect Clinton, a dishonest corrupt hated & unelectable candidate with a crashing Obamacare, an incredibly weak economy & you abandon your base trying to court Republicans & you blame Trump supporters?

Trump was elected by Clinton supporters IMO. And honestly what is Obama's legacy - Little minimum wage increase, TPP, Horrible economy. I understand 2012 given what a mess 2008 was but now 8 years has gone & it is still a mess & you have Hillary Clinton at the top of the ticket!

Honestly, I would love for this to be just about the economy. I don't really care that much if Democrats or Republicans win. I benefit from Republican fiscal policy for the most part and social issues that I care about like Marijuana are being settled at the ballot box by the people. I do hope the Republicans don't just screw over all the people who got healthcare through Obamacare, but I doubt they do that because it would also mean screwing over a lot of white people who probably voted for Trump.

I just don't think it is about the economy though. I hope I am wrong but I think attacks against minorities will increase. If there is an economic downturn, which now seems likely due to a Trump presidency, will there be a backlash against minorities?
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2016, 04:16:12 AM »

Why are you so negative?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2016, 04:22:59 AM »

Or was this about race? About making sure everyone was clear that this is a country for whites?

If one persists in calling half of the country racist, one will surely miss learning the lesson here.

It's time to put the non-stop ad hominem attacks away and start making a cogent argument for your political philosophy.  Yes, it's easier to just win the argument by default by calling someone you disagree with a racist and issuing ridicule, but you do not sharpen your rhetorical skill and intellectual curiosity that way.  And one occasionally loses elections they probably should not have.

Trump also takes the Republican party further away from this ideal, much to the dislike of many of us Rs.  But I'll do my best to keep the spirit of William F. Buckley style rational exchanges of honest disagreements alive best I can.  This probably will include being a strong supporter of a primary challenge to Trump in 2020.

Bottom line is, you have honest fundamental disagreements with Rs.  Don't call them racist and other names.  Instead, grant them an assumption of sincerity, and make your case why they are merely mistaken, rather than irredeemably evil.  That will have a better chance of persuading others.

My political philosophy, mostly related to fiscal policy, is very similar to the Republican party (Paul Ryan's Republican party that is). Unfortunately, I am also a minority. I am just trying to understand whether my life is about to get much worse or not. If anything, some of the issues I really care about socially, like Marijuana legalization, did pretty well at the ballot box. Minimum wage increased in multiple states. I am not scared about what Trump will do with taxes or social security or medicare. Hell, I am not that concerned about Obamacare either, because he will have to replace it with something or he will screw over his own voting base. I just want to know whether I am safe. Am I?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies