Transition Team/Cabinet Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 10:35:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Transition Team/Cabinet Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 54
Author Topic: Transition Team/Cabinet Thread  (Read 91192 times)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #700 on: December 01, 2016, 04:46:32 PM »

I can dig Mattis, a bit too hawkish when it comes to Iran, but strikes a good balance when it comes to Israel. Also he is very anti-torture, which is very good considering some of Trump's past statements. Probably the best Trump appointment so far, which is not saying much.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #701 on: December 01, 2016, 04:48:15 PM »

Trump team saying no decision has been made.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #702 on: December 01, 2016, 04:49:08 PM »

He'll get the waiver and he'll be fine.  SecDef isn't a diplomatic post and he has the credentials.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #703 on: December 01, 2016, 05:08:39 PM »

I'm not necessarily opposed to Mattis on principle, although I don't like some of his business connections and I have a suspicion that the only reason Trump likes him so much is that he has a cool nickname.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #704 on: December 01, 2016, 05:28:38 PM »

Mattis' views on Israel, whether you like them or not (I don't), are pretty irrelevant for actual U.S. foreign policy, just like Chuck Hagel's turned out to be. Trump's SoS pick will be much more important in that regard. Fwiw I don't think Romney or most other potential picks would change the status-quo much, though it's still early and Trump/Pence (and Kushner?) will continue to have a very important say in this area, of course. It may even become an ongoing source of conflict between "realists" and "idealists" in his administration.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #705 on: December 01, 2016, 05:54:36 PM »

Politics1.com ‏@Politics1com  2h2 hours ago
“If Scott Brown is nom for Vets Aff [Secy], I have no doubt he would put his heart & soul into trying to help veterans" - Elizabeth Warren

Joe Scarborough ‏@JoeNBC  2h2 hours ago
The SecState process continues. Trump considered the Romney meeting "great" but is expanding options and looking at Exxon CEO RexTillerson.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #706 on: December 01, 2016, 06:00:28 PM »

The SecState process continues. Trump considered the Romney meeting "great" but is expanding options and looking at Exxon CEO RexTillerson.

1. So what we're learning from this is that Trump has essentially no idea at all what kind of SoS he wants.
2. Jesus ing Christ.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #707 on: December 01, 2016, 06:08:26 PM »

1. So what we're learning from this is that Trump has essentially no idea at all what kind of SoS he wants.
2. Jesus ing Christ.

so this is what draining the swamp looks like?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #708 on: December 01, 2016, 06:11:56 PM »

Politics1.com ‏@Politics1com  2h2 hours ago
“If Scott Brown is nom for Vets Aff [Secy], I have no doubt he would put his heart & soul into trying to help veterans" - Elizabeth Warren
... I'm surprised. I would hope Brown would pass confirmation very easily. I could imagine Markey, Hassan, and Shaheen trying to stop it, but if Warren won't, they won't.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #709 on: December 01, 2016, 06:54:34 PM »

I'm not necessarily opposed to Mattis on principle, although I don't like some of his business connections and I have a suspicion that the only reason Trump likes him so much is that he has a cool nickname.

Being "fired" by Obama and a couple of gung-ho quotes are probably also reasons Pussygrabber likes him.

He is unquestionably qualified, but I'm also bothered by his business ties to the disgraced and discredited Theranos. And his aggressive attitude towards Iran is worrisome. Could President-elect Pussygrabber be looking at a Iran for the "short, victorious war" he probably wants?
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #710 on: December 01, 2016, 07:05:14 PM »

I actually really like Mattis. Hope it all works out.
JJC

« Reply #711 on: December 01, 2016, 07:44:07 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2016, 07:46:00 PM by JJC »

Ken Thomas ‏@KThomasDC
Trump/Pence mtgs on Friday: Sen. David Perdue, R-Ga.; FL AG Pam Bondi; Sen. Heidi Heitkamp, D-ND; Amb John Bolton; Ret. Adm. Jay Cohen.

Hmmmm

Guess she doesn't feel very good about her re-election chances.

Putting her in any position (most likely something energy/agricultural related) would be disastrous for dems. Along with giving Trump bi-partisan cred, it would immediately strip dems of an extra crucial vote in the senate for Trump's cabinet appointees and SCOTUS pick.

The seat would be vacant until a special election within 95 days (so around May). This is a reliably red state where Trump got 64% of the vote. So this would likely be a GOP pick up as well.

If I'm Schumer I'd be panicking.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #712 on: December 01, 2016, 07:47:12 PM »

1) trump's cabinet CAN'T be blocked anyway.

2) i am pretty sure heitkamp wouldn't do anything without talking it over with schumer.

Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #713 on: December 01, 2016, 08:03:08 PM »

I'm quite pleased to the see that James Mattis has been picked. He will be a great Secretary of Defense, and enjoys quite high popularity among the military and veterans.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #714 on: December 01, 2016, 08:18:56 PM »

Trump just announced Mattis on live TV at his rally.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #715 on: December 01, 2016, 08:21:47 PM »

Trump is clearly the Teddy Roosevelt of our lifetimes.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #716 on: December 02, 2016, 12:55:32 AM »

Ken Thomas ‏@KThomasDC
Trump/Pence mtgs on Friday: Sen. David Perdue, R-Ga.; FL AG Pam Bondi; Sen. Heidi Heitkamp, D-ND; Amb John Bolton; Ret. Adm. Jay Cohen.

Hmmmm

Guess she doesn't feel very good about her re-election chances.

She's also basically a generic Republican on energy/environmental policy. Which makes her a Democrat in North Dakota politics.

Would be a brilliant move by Trump if it happened, and not just because it would be one less Democrat in the Senate, but also because the Republican who would be most likely to replace her is the guy who wrote Trump's energy policy and was an early endorser of his during the campaign.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #717 on: December 02, 2016, 01:29:21 AM »

Became President without being elected to the position? Charged up STD Hill? Or is it about how he talks loudly about beinghaving a big d!ck? Or are you just hoping someone puts a bullet into him during a speech?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #718 on: December 02, 2016, 02:39:49 AM »
« Edited: December 02, 2016, 12:06:19 PM by Old School Republican »

Mattis' views on Israel, whether you like them or not (I don't), are pretty irrelevant for actual U.S. foreign policy, just like Chuck Hagel's turned out to be. Trump's SoS pick will be much more important in that regard. Fwiw I don't think Romney or most other potential picks would change the status-quo much, though it's still early and Trump/Pence (and Kushner?) will continue to have a very important say in this area, of course. It may even become an ongoing source of conflict between "realists" and "idealists" in his administration.

Rumsfeld was much more important in the Bush foreign policy then Colin Powell was. I think the Sec of State is much less important in USA foreign policy compared to the cold war. In the cold war there was no doubt: George Marshall, Dulles, Kissenger, Shultz were much more influential then there sec of def during their time.

Now I think they are more even ;Albright , and Kerry were undoubtly more influential in forign policy then there sec of def. But Rumsfeld and Gates were also more influential then Powell,Rice,Hillary in Bush/Obama First term foreign policy
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #719 on: December 02, 2016, 04:29:39 AM »

Oh indubitably. I'm sure all ambitious GOp apparatchiks seeking employment in the trump administration are dusting off their old college nicknames or placing new ones in thir resume ("the names Jonathan Worcester Witherspoon IV, but my friends call me Sergeant Pussyslayer..")
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #720 on: December 02, 2016, 04:32:10 AM »

I like Mad Dog Matthis. It seems one of the few intelligent Trump nominations that won't end up backfiring on us all.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #721 on: December 02, 2016, 07:24:50 AM »

Trip Gabriel ‏@tripgabriel  9h9 hours ago
According to his friends, @RealBenCarson was offered HUD nine days ago.  This is the longest Hamlet act of the transition.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #722 on: December 02, 2016, 07:40:02 AM »

Interesting enough, James Mattis is the one Trump appointment who could be filibustered.   
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #723 on: December 02, 2016, 03:38:44 PM »

Nope. Very important reason you mention this, but no, he's not. Please look up TR's lifetime and actually understand his background and see why he was an effective president. Trump is nothing like that.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #724 on: December 02, 2016, 03:46:35 PM »

Nope. Very important reason you mention this, but no, he's not. Please look up TR's lifetime and actually understand his background and see why he was an effective president. Trump is nothing like that.

tbqh if those two had ever met, roosevelt would have beaten trump into the fckin ground
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 54  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies