Santorum publishes Extremist Views in his New Book
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:14:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Santorum publishes Extremist Views in his New Book
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Santorum publishes Extremist Views in his New Book  (Read 6727 times)
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 06, 2005, 10:19:43 AM »

Here are some examples of Rick Santorum's extremist views which he publishes in his new book "It Takes a Family":

Women's Place is in the Home: "In far too many families with young children, both parents are working, when, if they really took an honest look at the budget, they might confess that both of them really don’t need to, or at least may not need to work as much as they do… And for some parents, the purported need to provide things for their children simply provides a convenient rationalization for pursuing a gratifying career outside the home." (It Takes a Family, 94)

Blame Feminism for Women wanting to work: "Many women have told me, and surveys have shown, that they find it easier, more “professionally” gratifying, and certainly more socially affirming, to work outside the home than to give up their careers to take care of their children. Think about that for a moment…Here, we can thank the influence of radical feminism, one of the core philosophies of the village elders." (It Takes a Family, 95)

Who Needs College?Sad "The notion that college education is a cost-effective way to help poor, low-skill, unmarried mothers with high school diplomas or GEDs move up the economic ladder is just wrong." (It Takes a Family, 138)

Slavery Wasn't So Bad:"But unlike abortion today, in most states even the slaveholder did not have the unlimited right to kill his slave." ((It Takes a Family, 241)

Diversity is Bad: "The elementary error of relativism becomes clear when we look at multiculturalism. Sometime in the 1980s, universities began to champion the importance of “diversity” as a central educational value." (It Takes a Family, 406)

Public/Private Schools are bad:"By asking the right question, we can see that when it comes to socialization, mass education is really the aberration, not homeschooling. Never before in human history have a majority of children spent at least half their waking hours in the presence of 25 to 35 unrelated children of exactly the same age (and usually the same socio-economic status), with only one adult to keep order and provide basic mentoring. Never before and never again after their years of mass education will any person live and work in such a radically narrow, age-segregated environment. It’s amazing that so many kids turn out to be fairly normal, considering the weird socialization they get in public schools." (It Takes a Family, 386)

There is a whole campaign's worth of attack ads in this book. Santorum is a complete nutjob who wants to take America back to the Puritan days of the 1700s.

This extremist Senator is a danger to this country and needs to be defeated in 2006.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 10:32:32 AM »

Here are some examples of Rick Santorum's extremist views which he publishes in his new book "It Takes a Family":

Women's Place is in the Home: "In far too many families with young children, both parents are working, when, if they really took an honest look at the budget, they might confess that both of them really don’t need to, or at least may not need to work as much as they do… And for some parents, the purported need to provide things for their children simply provides a convenient rationalization for pursuing a gratifying career outside the home." (It Takes a Family, 94)
Huh?  He says "parent" not "woman."  What he says is true: it is better for kids to be around their parents more.  When both parents work, there is no one to guide them.  It is preferable, if your income is sufficient, for one parent to stay home then.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
That isn't what he said.  Clearly, you have issues with comprehension.  He is saying that it is NOT the way to help poor people.

Clearly, that isn't what he said either.  Read the sentence again.  It says that there was no unlimited right to kill the slave.  That is a fact.  Do you agree or disagree?  You're reading far, far, far too much what you want to read into what he is writing.

That isn't what he said.

No, he isn't saying that.  He is making an observation on history.

You're delusional.  Go take your meds.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 10:43:55 AM »

Santorum's own words do more damage to himself than any opponent could ever do.

And I love how Richius is such an apologist for right-wing extremism.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 11:03:35 AM »

Richius is of course correct. Learn how to read and try again.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 11:08:25 AM »

Isn't it great how people on the Left keep pointing out to the country that Santorum is saying this that he is not really saying at all?  Why are they so affraid of this guy?

Which DNC report did you rip this one off of, BTW.  Yeah, I get those open memos too.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 11:40:15 AM »

Wait a minute.  Who the hell is saying it if he isn't?  I mean it's his book isn't it?  You can't pass the buck on that.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005, 11:41:54 AM »

Santorum's own words do more damage to himself than any opponent could ever do.

And I love how Richius is such an apologist for right-wing extremism.

I can tell by some of your qoutes from the book that they are clearly taken out of context just for the sole purpose of misrepresenting what he has written.  Why not post the full paragraphs instead so we can read the full context?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 11:43:24 AM »

Wait a minute.  Who the hell is saying it if he isn't?  I mean it's his book isn't it?  You can't pass the buck on that.

Pass the buck on what?  Did you even read what I was responding too?  They take a bunch of quotes out of context and "infer" meaning from them, when no such meaning was implied.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005, 11:49:48 AM »

Why are they so affraid of this guy?

They know if he gets re-elected he's very likely to run for President. While they insist that they'd smash him into the ground, I think they're afraid that he could win.

I knew people would bring this up and stretch what he was saying. Like stay at home moms, for example. I know people are going to say that he hates women in the workforce and believes every woman with children should be locked up in the house. He's not saying that at all but the Santorum haters are out in full force exagerrating what he said.

Let me say this: I hope people like Scoonie come down to PA, volunteer for Casey, go to the debates and bring up all of these points to Santorum so when he responds he'll clearly explain what he means and make everyone who tried to make him look like an extremist look extremely foolish.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2005, 11:56:02 AM »

Let me say this: I hope people like Scoonie come down to PA, volunteer for Casey, go to the debates and bring up all of these points to Santorum so when he responds he'll clearly explain what he means and make everyone who tried to make him look like an extremist look extremely foolish.

Some of us have jobs, you know. I can't afford to quit my job to go campaign for Casey.

I think this book kills any chance Santorum had for re-election. Read what he said: he doesn't think college helps poor people, he doesn't think women should be out in the workforce, he thinks women are selfish for actually wanting a career, he thinks abortion is worse than slavery, he doesn't think kids should be in public/private schools socializing with their peers, and he thinks diversity is unfavorable.

I take pity on this poor man's wife. She's locked up in the house all day with six kids while he compares Democrats to Nazis on the Senate floor. I'm sure he governs that house like a dictator as well. I can't wait to see how screwed up his kids are when they're older.

Republicans can spin all day, but these are his words and they will do damage to his chances for re-election.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2005, 12:02:01 PM »

Some of us have jobs, you know. I can't afford to quit my job to go campaign for Casey.

Such a pity. Your excellent skills that would help re-elect Santorum will be missed.

He never said women shouldn't be in the workforce. Keep stretching, advice your PA friends to do the same and watch Santorum win.

This should be used in a MoveOn.org ad against Santorum. I think he'd be able to crack 55% after that one.

Just like his gay comments were going to bring him down. Just like comments he made in 2000 were going to destroy him. You people are delusional. The main thing that hurts Santorum in 2006 is that he'd running against a Casey.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2005, 12:05:39 PM »

I think this book kills any chance Santorum had for re-election.

Until you post the full paragraphs, I won't take your word on it.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2005, 12:07:30 PM »

I don't have the book (wouldn't waste my money on it).  The quotes are from the "Capital Buzz" website.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2005, 12:11:06 PM »

I don't have the book (wouldn't waste my money on it).  The quotes are from the "Capital Buzz" website.

"CapitolBuzz provides the latest buzz on how the GOP is abusing its majority status in Washington, DC. We depend on your tips and love reading your comments. Email us at CapitolBuzz at gmail dot com."

Even more reason to assume that this is all taken out of context.  If I were you, I would read the book first and then make your case, and not rely on someone elses cliff notes.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2005, 01:03:19 PM »

I don't see the big deal.  Everyone has a right to their own opinion.  Don't like it?  Don't read it.

He will be irrelevant after 2006 anyway.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2005, 01:08:58 PM »

I don't see the big deal.  Everyone has a right to their own opinion.  Don't like it?  Don't read it.

True, but the voters of Pennsylvania have the right to know his true feelings.  Therefore, the extremist views in his book should be exposed for voters to judge.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2005, 01:11:43 PM »

True, but the voters of Pennsylvania have the right to know his true feelings.  Therefore, the extremist views in his book should be exposed for voters to judge.

They know his views. They like the man. Face reality, Scoonie.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2005, 01:12:04 PM »

The ones who care are already well aware of his extremist views.  Casey is gonna' win this race on the issues that matter most like, Social Security.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2005, 01:13:12 PM »

They do?  Two questions...

Mr. Santorum's most recent approval rating?
Mr. Santorum's most recent polling numbers vs Mr. Casey?
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2005, 01:15:39 PM »

I highly doubt they know the extent of his extremism. These passages in his book are even surprising to me.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2005, 01:17:24 PM »

They do?  Two questions...

Mr. Santorum's most recent approval rating?

Quinnipiac - He was at 48%. Disapprovals in the 30s, I believe. He's usually in the mid 50s.

That's my point. They like Santorum but Casey is a Casey. Casey is more popular. That doesn't mean that people don't approve of Santorum.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2005, 01:18:24 PM »

I highly doubt they know the extent of his extremism.

Let the Casey campaign make Santorum the issue of this campaign. Let them go negative. If they like the MoveOn folks run the show, Santorum wins the race.

TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2005, 01:20:14 PM »

How is Moveon any different from right-wing groups like Progress for America, Family Research Council, Focus on the Family, Americans for Tax Reform, and countless others?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2005, 01:21:33 PM »

For anyone that is wondering...

From http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x11379.xml?ReleaseID=676

TREND: Do you approve or disapprove of the way Rick Santorum is handling his job as United States Senator?

App     Dis     DK/NA

Apr 20, 2005            48      35      18
Feb 16, 2005            52      31      17
Sep 16, 2004            54      30      16
Aug 18, 2004            52      30      18
Jul 14, 2004              53      28      19

Approval ratings look good. He's only dipped into the 40s twice within the past three years of polling in the Quinnipiac polls. Disapproval in the 30s is a good sign.

Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2005, 01:22:06 PM »

Let the Casey campaign make Santorum the issue of this campaign. Let them go negative. If they like the MoveOn folks run the show, Santorum wins the race.

Speaking of MoveOn.org.  They offically announced that they will back Casey over Pennachio in the Democratic primary.  Im not sure whether this is a good thing or a bad thing.  Could help w/ liberal turnout in the GE.  But at the same time it could hurt with Swing voters and moderate Republicans.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies