Question for skeptics of hipster Christianity
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:46:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Question for skeptics of hipster Christianity
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Question for skeptics of hipster Christianity  (Read 797 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 16, 2016, 07:29:48 PM »

Would you agree that following revelations about evangelicals such as this and their support for Trump in general, and conversely hipster Christians from what I've seen are only talking about how such an immoral and un-Christlike person he is and unworthy to be in any position of power, would you agree that hipster Christianity is at least preferable to most of evangelicalism?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 07:32:39 PM »

Yes, absolutely.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 07:46:05 PM »

RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 08:25:10 PM »
« Edited: October 16, 2016, 08:28:10 PM by realisticidealist »

No, not at all. It's certainly not superior on the basis of judging someone for their sins.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 08:45:55 PM »

No, because you are making the mistake of assuming that the style of the message trumps the message. Regardless of whether Trump be moral or not, I doubt many hipster Christians would be fans of him. Conversely, older evangelical Christians have a style that has stronger affinity to Trump than do hipster Christians. Both camps are guilty in my view of judging Trump by the look of his foliage rather than whether his fruit is good or not.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 09:38:52 PM »

No, not at all. It's certainly not superior on the basis of judging someone for their sins.

There's a difference between judging someone for their sins and thinking that a life of wall-to-wall, public, unrepentant vice ought to disqualify someone from being swept into office as the candidate of a de facto Christian political party.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 06:29:40 PM »

No, largely for the reasons Ernest outlined. Most of my concerns with Evangelicalism (with the exceptions of nativism and prosperity preaching) are also major issues in the left leaning, low church part of Protestantism.

There's a difference between judging someone for their sins and thinking that a life of wall-to-wall, public, unrepentant vice ought to disqualify someone from being swept into office as the candidate of a de facto Christian political party.

While it definitely reflects very poorly on large swathes of Evangelicalism, I don't think the reverse applies to the hipster-emergent response. Trump is in the other camp, so this isn't exactly taking a courageous stand or speaking the truth to power.

Also, has anyone done any polling about why Evangelicals are supporting Trump? Lesser evil reasoning, while wrong IMO would be a lot less damning than "Trump rocks, make America great again!"
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 01:31:21 PM »

Yes.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies