Would this be correct? (#Analysis trigger warning)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:42:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Would this be correct? (#Analysis trigger warning)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Would this be correct? (#Analysis trigger warning)  (Read 345 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 15, 2016, 07:26:44 PM »

Real superficial, and, almost by necessity, not accounting for the last couple decades (where I'd posit elements of liberalism very much permeated the right), but... Would it be correct that (in the traditional sense), while Marxists and those of the left were, in some manner or another, economic determinists, conservatives could be called "cultural determinists" and liberals "political determinists"? In respect to the latter two, imagine the conservative dismissal, "I'm not sure if the peoples of [non-aligned/Third World place] are 'ready' for democracy", or the liberal truism that more democracy will result in a more peaceful world. My assumption is that the Cold War and the succeeding three decades after its end have sort of caused those generally-held beliefs to be warped, what with the right's rhetorical insistence during the Reagan years on "freedom" and during the Bush years on "democracy", and American liberals somehow being cautious about foreign intervention and warning that we could not implement democracy at gun point. This is probably an incredibly vapid claim, or a result of me having done too much reading/thinking as opposed to actual observation, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 07:44:22 PM »

This reminds me of a topic I once posted on AAD, which basically posited that conservatives argue from a descriptive conception of the world while liberals argue from a prescriptive conception. What you outline here seems to be along the same lines.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies