Trump says election 'rigged' - Ryan/Pence say it isn't - Trump doubles down megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:02:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump says election 'rigged' - Ryan/Pence say it isn't - Trump doubles down megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Trump says election 'rigged' - Ryan/Pence say it isn't - Trump doubles down megathread  (Read 5531 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2016, 06:27:01 PM »

A step in the right direction I guess.
But man, this statement is more flaccid than an overcooked noodle.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2016, 09:26:06 PM »

That'll put him on Herr Groppenfuher's Traitor List for sure. He'd better be confident Clinton's going to win.

I'm surprised we haven't seen any tweets from trump on this yet .... bashing Ryan.
Has anyone seen any response from the orange-haired slug yet ?
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2016, 09:47:48 PM »

Good start. Now if he actually believes any of that, he should rescind his endorsement of the candidate who is actively trying to undermine public confidence in the election.
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2016, 09:50:41 PM »

That'll put him on Herr Groppenfuher's Traitor List for sure. He'd better be confident Clinton's going to win.

I'm surprised we haven't seen any tweets from trump on this yet .... bashing Ryan.

Well, there's this: https://www.facebook.com/DonaldTrump/posts/10157869013845725
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2016, 12:54:06 AM »

He's too busy whining, lying, and ranting about other things.
yawa
Rookie
Belarus
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2016, 09:00:45 AM »

The main character in Gogol's Taras Bulba says to his son:"I gave you life and I will take it".
The Republican leadership gave life to Trump as their leader, so it is their responsibility to cope with the problems created by Trump.
Fargobison

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2016, 09:06:24 AM »

Rudy is such a hack...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/787654464102629376
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2016, 09:12:01 AM »

Whether the election is "rigged" or not, millions of folks believe that the process is tilted toward Clinton in ways that are not subtle at all.  Lester Holt.  The Cooper-Raddatz Tag Team.  Twenty-one minutes of coverage of Trump's accusers vs. one minute of coverage of new e-mail revelations on national news coverage?  Plans to launch a "Catholic Spring" by infiltrating the Catholic Church.  Black Female Unionized Teachers presented as "undecided" voters asking questions at a Town Hall debate format?  (She may well have been, but I look askance on this, given the polls I'm shown.)

The "rigging" is in the active steering of the discussion toward the seamy side of Trump's personal life.  Much of this is unverified.  (Of course, if it's verified, then Juanita Broaddrick and Kathleen Willey have verified allegations as well.)  The other is comments that I abhor, but they are also things that voters are capable of making their own minds up on; they are not things that are nuanced that need the constant attention of the press.  

This is being done because Donald Trump's POLICIES represent a significant departure from the status quo on trade, foreign policy, and immigration in ways that the established interests oppose, sometimes for conflicting reasons.  Donald Trump's "America First" agenda has a real following, and it's something that goes beyond party; it touches areas where the left and right converge.  And that place is the opposition to globalism, and its role in destroying the middle class in America and the progressive flow of money to the top 1%.  A clear, uninhibited conversation on these issues is the last thing Hillary Clinton wants, because it would cause lots of folks who intend to vote for her (including a number of folks who are moderate, and even liberal) to recognize that they are supporting Nixon 2.0 in this race.

I'd like to see such a discussion.  I don't want to be referred to HillaryClinton.com for my information, and I don't want my info from a Twitter Feed.  I would like a national discussion of these issues between the two (2) candidates, much as Nixon and JFK carried on in 1960.  Perhaps this campaign is reinforcing the fundamental lesson in life that you don't always get what you want.  I pray America gets what it needs.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2016, 09:13:42 AM »

JFK v Nixon was probably the most 'rigged' election in the last 100 years
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2016, 09:15:15 AM »

We have: "Our very weak and ineffective leader, Paul Ryan, had a bad conference call where his members went wild at his disloyalty."

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/785828772423561216
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2016, 09:34:44 AM »

It's a matter of debate.

Much has always been made about the Illinois vote for JFK that Daley pulled out in Chicago.  According to Clout:  Mayor Daley and His City by Len O'Connor, Daley's plan was to get out a big, big vote for JFK and report it early, in order to discourage Republican voters in Western states.  O'Connor points out the huge totals of the "Automatic Eleven" wards in Chicago that provided Democrats with a 100K vote advantage going forward, and how Daley maximized this in 1960.

O'Connor points out that Daley and the Democrats were not alone in vote-stealing.  The Republicans in IL pulled out the sort of margins for Nixon in DuPage, Lake, and Kane Counties that, justifiably, caused Democrats to look askance.  (O'Connor stated that both sides stole votes, but Daley and Co. were better at it.) 

As an aside:  As a former Democrat in a markedly Republican county in NY, I worked on a State Senate campaign for a Democratic candidate in 1974 in which a lead mysteriously disappeared after the first vote count.  "Reliable sources" told me that this was stolen, and I am not so naïve to believe that this never happens.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2016, 09:44:47 AM »

Under normal circumstances, this election won't be rigged (at all).

This is just a regular talking point from the far-right populists. It also happened here in the Presidential election's runoff (with the FPÖ saying there were irregularities), but not a single case of voter fraud whatsoever has been found by the Constitutional Court.

Still, I hope the US election goes smoothly.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2016, 09:49:37 AM »

If Trumpists didn't push the rigged narrative, they'd have to instead objectively realize that their views and leader are just this universally disgusting to the rest of the world around them. This is as reptilian a defense mechanism as the rest of their worldview is.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2016, 09:56:44 AM »

Gingrich: 20 Media Executives Are Launching A "Coup D'Etat" Against Millions Of Trump Voters
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/10/16/gingrich_20_media_executives_are_launching_a_coup_detat_against_millions_of_trump_voters.html

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2016, 09:58:22 AM »

It's a matter of debate.

Much has always been made about the Illinois vote for JFK that Daley pulled out in Chicago.  According to Clout:  Mayor Daley and His City by Len O'Connor, Daley's plan was to get out a big, big vote for JFK and report it early, in order to discourage Republican voters in Western states.  O'Connor points out the huge totals of the "Automatic Eleven" wards in Chicago that provided Democrats with a 100K vote advantage going forward, and how Daley maximized this in 1960.

O'Connor points out that Daley and the Democrats were not alone in vote-stealing.  The Republicans in IL pulled out the sort of margins for Nixon in DuPage, Lake, and Kane Counties that, justifiably, caused Democrats to look askance.  (O'Connor stated that both sides stole votes, but Daley and Co. were better at it.) 

As an aside:  As a former Democrat in a markedly Republican county in NY, I worked on a State Senate campaign for a Democratic candidate in 1974 in which a lead mysteriously disappeared after the first vote count.  "Reliable sources" told me that this was stolen, and I am not so naïve to believe that this never happens.

I remember reading that whilst Nixon's decision not to contest was seen as noble, it was largely because people in the Nixon camp had done their fair share of dodgy practices
mark_twain
United States

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2016, 10:06:07 AM »

Paul Ryan has realized that if he does nothing, the Republican party base will indeed become a "basket of deplorables". In the long run, normal voters do not conform to the ideals of this group, and he sees it as a losing trend for his party.

So believes he must try to reverse the trend, being the most prominent leader of the GOP at this point.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2016, 10:17:01 AM »

I disagree with Ryan.

It seems a major party candidate is throwing the election. That would seem rigged to me.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2016, 10:30:19 AM »

Whether the election is "rigged" or not, millions of folks believe that the process is tilted toward Clinton in ways that are not subtle at all.  Lester Holt.  The Cooper-Raddatz Tag Team.  Twenty-one minutes of coverage of Trump's accusers vs. one minute of coverage of new e-mail revelations on national news coverage?  Plans to launch a "Catholic Spring" by infiltrating the Catholic Church.  Black Female Unionized Teachers presented as "undecided" voters asking questions at a Town Hall debate format?  (She may well have been, but I look askance on this, given the polls I'm shown.)

The "rigging" is in the active steering of the discussion toward the seamy side of Trump's personal life.  Much of this is unverified.  (Of course, if it's verified, then Juanita Broaddrick and Kathleen Willey have verified allegations as well.)  The other is comments that I abhor, but they are also things that voters are capable of making their own minds up on; they are not things that are nuanced that need the constant attention of the press.  

This is being done because Donald Trump's POLICIES represent a significant departure from the status quo on trade, foreign policy, and immigration in ways that the established interests oppose, sometimes for conflicting reasons.  Donald Trump's "America First" agenda has a real following, and it's something that goes beyond party; it touches areas where the left and right converge.  And that place is the opposition to globalism, and its role in destroying the middle class in America and the progressive flow of money to the top 1%.  A clear, uninhibited conversation on these issues is the last thing Hillary Clinton wants, because it would cause lots of folks who intend to vote for her (including a number of folks who are moderate, and even liberal) to recognize that they are supporting Nixon 2.0 in this race.

I'd like to see such a discussion.  I don't want to be referred to HillaryClinton.com for my information, and I don't want my info from a Twitter Feed.  I would like a national discussion of these issues between the two (2) candidates, much as Nixon and JFK carried on in 1960.  Perhaps this campaign is reinforcing the fundamental lesson in life that you don't always get what you want.  I pray America gets what it needs.

This Trumpist narrative is ridiculous. Clinton has had tons of unjustified negative coverage which is why this was ever even a race. Trump gets harder questions because there are harder questions to ask him because he's a morally depraved monster and a laughably ignorant idiot who can't string together a coherent sentence.

Of course juxtapositioning that with Hillary Clinton being cheated on and storing some e-mails in the wrong place makes him look bad but that's his problem.

It amuses me that people who complain about political correctness and safe spaces and not being able to speak their mind (i.e. spout racism and sexism) are constantly whining about everything done against them.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2016, 10:33:04 AM »

Pence said on "Face the Nation" this morning that they'll respect the outcome of the election.  Of course, this is not the same as Trump saying it.

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/787668651176525824
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2016, 10:56:14 AM »

Pence said on "Face the Nation" this morning that they'll respect the outcome of the election.  Of course, this is not the same as Trump saying it.

Mike Pencild!ck is just pathetically trying to do what most Republicans are trying to do: distance themselves from Trump but not too much distance. Pence is probably thinking ahead to 2020.

As for Trump whining about the system being rigged, it speaks volumes to the party of personal responsibility that its nominee is seeking to blame others for his inevitable demise. He's just making his cultists more and more mentally unstable and paranoid with this kind of talk. Paul Ryno's rejection of Trump's rigged claim is just going to make him more and more despised by the base. I can see him pulling a Boehner and throwing in the towel before long due to his fatigue of tying to deal with the members of his caucus who aren't potty trained. You're either with Trump or you're against him, there's no in between, Republicans.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2016, 12:11:26 PM »

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2016, 12:33:22 PM »

I have no doubt that Pence accurately reports his conversations with the Trump of Universe XGY-7-Theta.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2016, 01:35:16 PM »

...says the guy who was thrown under the bus by Trump in the second debate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2016-37673797
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2016, 01:48:22 PM »

Trump posted this tweet shortly after Pence made that comment:

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/787699930718695425

Needless to say, I agree with Mike Murphy on this matter:

https://mobile.twitter.com/murphymike/status/787308794120314880
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2016, 02:04:25 PM »

There seems to be two 'rigged' arguments. One is the traditional GOP message that the media is biased against them, taken to a new level that they are actively colluding to 'rig' the election Pence did dabble in this talk today on MTP.  Then there is the grander conspiracy theory that election officials in states across the country are working to rig the election via voter fraud. Ryan was having none of that and Pence wouldn't go there, but Trump surrogates Rudy Giuliani and Newt Gingrich were both peddling that this morning, both talking about Philadelphia and dead people voting, etc. 

On election day we might end up with Pence having to concede for Trump and people like Ryan and Reince having to say the election was fair, with Trump, Sessions, and other surrogates spouting off about a stolen election. It could be a huge mess.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies