Massachusetts 2018: John Kerry for governor?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:45:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Massachusetts 2018: John Kerry for governor?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Massachusetts 2018: John Kerry for governor?  (Read 3599 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 15, 2016, 04:17:54 AM »

This is just an idea that came to my mind. Republican governor Charlie Baker, a moderate, is very popular in his state, although it is one of the most liberal in the nation. Democrats will need a high-profile candidate to have any chance to win back the Governor's Mansion. John Kerry will likely retire once Obama is out of office; but does he want to quit politics? I think he may have a chance to win such race. Elizabeth Warren would be another strong candidate, but I assume she wants to remain in the senate. A safe seat. I know Kerry is already 72, but why shouldn't he try?
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 04:49:30 AM »

I really liked him as Secretary of State, and thought that he'd have made a great president, but I doubt he'll go for it. Especially entering such a tough race.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 04:51:07 AM »

Almost 75 in November 2018. Probably - too old. In addition - Kerry had very good career and deserved good retirement..
TarHeelDem
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 04:33:02 PM »

I would love to see him go for it, but he'll probably be ready for retirement.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 08:28:55 PM »

An old establishment Democrat is not the kind that's going to give Baker a run for his money.  The Democrats need a young, vibrant candidate that has young voter appeal and also has to be able to prove that the GOP label extends to Charlie Baker.

It's not going to be easy.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 11:04:20 AM »

Kerry made statements that his political career was over and I'm fairly sure he only would want to stay on as SOS under Hillary.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 01:49:12 PM »
« Edited: October 16, 2016, 01:52:26 PM by Mister Mets »

He's older than most Governors, and might not want to end his political career losing a race for statewide office after being Secretary of State.

For Democrats this would be a matter of replacing a competent well-regarded Governor. If it works, there are some advantages in being able to control redistricting, but that's a minor advantage in Massachusetts. Should Baker be elected to a second term, he'll be 66 at the end, more likely to retire or serve in a presidential cabinet than to do anything else.

If Baker's vulnerable for whatever reason, it would make more sense for Democrats to use the opportunity to have someone younger become Governor, as that person would have a shot of some form of national significance.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 01:52:50 PM »

My best guess - if this race looks winnable, Seth Moulton probably jumps in.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2016, 03:09:01 PM »

My best guess - if this race looks winnable, Seth Moulton probably jumps in.

I agree. If Baker stays on the same path he's currently on, and 2018 looks like a Republican year, then the Democrats will probably nominate a sacrificial lamb. But if either of those things change, I could see a good Democrat winning.
JMT

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2016, 04:47:18 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if Seth Moulton ran either. Best case scenario he wins. Worst case scenario he gains statewide name recognition and can use this to run for governor or senate later on. But Seth may wait to for Baker to be done as Governor before he tries running, because Baker would be favored against any opponent. I'm not sure who democrats will nominate for this race, but I'll vote for whoever the democratic candidate is
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2016, 04:52:27 PM »

LMAO. Kerry will leave public life in January, Kennedy and Moulton will wait for Senate seats.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2016, 08:18:54 PM »

Best case (and most likely) scenario if Moulton runs: he loses and his political career ends right then and there. Worst case scenario: he somehow wins.

Why do you think Seth Moulton is bad or somehow unfit?
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2016, 11:28:03 PM »

Best case (and most likely) scenario if Moulton runs: he loses and his political career ends right then and there. Worst case scenario: he somehow wins.

He's a generic New Democrat, and while that might not be too bad in other states, Massachusetts can do much better. Would be a tragedy if Warren got replaced by someone like Moulton (or Kennedy for that matter).

Even Massachusetts is not obliged to elect far-left "progressives" only.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 08:12:16 AM »

He wouldn't win.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2016, 11:33:37 AM »

He's a generic New Democrat, and while that might not be too bad in other states, Massachusetts can do much better. Would be a tragedy if Warren got replaced by someone like Moulton (or Kennedy for that matter).

Fair enough. I think a gubernatorial version of Warren (who knows who that would be) would be pretty great in Massachusetts.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2016, 01:48:01 PM »

I don't see that happening.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2016, 02:36:27 PM »

Massachusetts has the capacity for a better class of moderate Democrat than warmed-over DLCers.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2016, 08:50:33 PM »

It's normal for people to want candidates who agree with their views to win.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2016, 04:56:13 AM »

Massachusetts has the capacity for a better class of moderate Democrat than warmed-over DLCers.

Better for you and, say, for me, would probably be two very different things....
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2016, 04:59:07 AM »

It's normal for people to want candidates who agree with their views to win.

Absolutely. But to state that they are better then other only because their views align with yours is a foolishness. I would be the first to say that best candidate in NY-15 is a very bold progressive despite me having little common with this type of people. And i would say that best candidate in TX-13 is a solid conservative, despite me having even less common with it.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2016, 10:13:24 AM »

Better for you and, say, for me, would probably be two very different things....

If you want more of a say in this, you're welcome to move to Massachusetts and register to vote.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2016, 12:26:05 PM »
« Edited: October 18, 2016, 12:29:50 PM by smoltchanov »

If you want more of a say in this, you're welcome to move to Massachusetts and register to vote.

I would gladly follow your advice, but can't - because of family reasons, which hold me elsewhere.. In addition - i would almost surely be "pro-Baker Independent" in Massachusetts, as almost all my friends there are...
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2016, 09:20:22 AM »

Nah, won’t happen. Kerry will retire in January 2017 and maybe remain a public figure with speeches etc. He’ll be some kind of elder statesman. Rep. Joseph P. Kennedy may be a strong contender for Democrats in 2018, though I expect Baker to be reelected. I doubt that the foreign policy expert Kerry is even interested in this position.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2016, 09:37:37 AM »

Nah, won’t happen. Kerry will retire in January 2017 and maybe remain a public figure with speeches etc. He’ll be some kind of elder statesman. Rep. Joseph P. Kennedy may be a strong contender for Democrats in 2018, though I expect Baker to be reelected. I doubt that the foreign policy expert Kerry is even interested in this position.

Fully agree
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2016, 05:09:39 PM »

Fully agree
Moulton is more likely than Kennedy to run for governor. I think Joe Kennedy will wait for the next Senate seat to open (he'd probably prefer the Class 1 seat, but he probably won't care). Remember that the Kennedys have always preferred Senate or even House to Governor, his father, Joe Kennedy II was recruited hard by national and state Democrats to run against Weld, but he said he had no interest and preferred to stay in the House.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies