Last minute expand map megathread - Spending & visits in AZ, GA, WI, NM, MI, MN
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:56:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Last minute expand map megathread - Spending & visits in AZ, GA, WI, NM, MI, MN
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14
Author Topic: Last minute expand map megathread - Spending & visits in AZ, GA, WI, NM, MI, MN  (Read 15801 times)
HillOfANight
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 11, 2016, 09:02:19 PM »
« edited: November 06, 2016, 01:58:13 AM by Likely Voter »

https://twitter.com/jmartnyt/status/786020762553647105
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/10/12/us/politics/donald-trump-gop.html?referer=https://www.google.com/

We've heard this a million times already but with her polling advantage, in person early voting starting soon, and Trump at war with the GOP, seems like now or never.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 09:04:03 PM »

Well, we'll see. GA looked possible for Obama in 2008, until undecideds broke overwhelmingly for McCain. It looked like it would be decently close in 2014, even with the wave, until undecideds broke overwhelmingly for Perdue and Deal.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 09:05:06 PM »

This might be the year given the difficulty of undecideds breaking for Trump.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 09:06:04 PM »

obviously it gets easier each year and cycle....on the long run, at the moment, inevitable in presidential years.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 09:06:31 PM »

Well, we'll see. GA looked possible for Obama in 2008, until undecideds broke overwhelmingly for McCain. It looked like it would be decently close in 2014, even with the wave, until undecideds broke overwhelmingly for Perdue and Deal.

Obama pulled out of Georgia in October and McCain was ahead in literally all but one poll in Georgia in 2008.
HillOfANight
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 09:15:13 PM »

https://twitter.com/alexburnsnyt/status/786024376877588480

Give us some Georgia polls please 😎
mark_twain
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 09:26:25 PM »

Let's go Georgia!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRgWBN8yt_E

HillOfANight
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 09:38:15 PM »

In terms of field support, earlier would have been better, but I think turning on the ads now, informing swing voters of other Trump gaffes, as everyone talks gropegate, is perfect timing. In person voting starts in 6 days.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 09:51:17 PM »

The situations are not comperable.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 10:06:09 PM »

Stop talking and do it already!
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 10:15:51 PM »

THIS is the year to flip these states. Trump is the right candidate to put both of these states in play.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 10:27:10 PM »

THIS is the year to flip these states. Trump is the right candidate to put both of these states in play.
Even if they swing left this year it won't last. Even a candidate like Ted Cruz or Rand Paul can easily win both states and Paul Ryan and Marco Rubio would win both against any democrat easily. Emphasis on Paul Ryan.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 10:29:47 PM »

Even if they swing left this year it won't last. Even a candidate like Ted Cruz or Rand Paul can easily win both states and Paul Ryan and Marco Rubio would win both against any democrat easily. Emphasis on Paul Ryan.

These states could be trending Democratic, which would mean that a win in them this year would be "ahead of schedule", similar to North Carolina going for Obama in 2008. That might mean that a more generic R would win them back in 2020, but that there would be precedent for them to flip in the future.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 11:04:46 PM »

Obama pulled out of Georgia in October and McCain was ahead in literally all but one poll in Georgia in 2008.

Actually, the campaign pulled out all of its paid field resources around Labor Day in 2008. There were still volunteers and a few TV spots I think, but the bulk of the campaign's work was gone well before October.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2016, 11:13:30 PM »

If Trump has to spend the last month of the campaign + resources defending states like GA, AZ, SC, AK, and UT, he's already toast.
BoAtlantis

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2016, 11:42:16 PM »
« Edited: October 11, 2016, 11:44:23 PM by BoAtlantis »

I read a study somewhere that spending hundred millions of dollars in campaign net you maybe 1 % higher vote than you'd otherwise have gotten. It isn't worth it.

I'd like to see her run up the score on her blue firewall. GA and AZ are nice but empirically, states that flirt with low margins usually end up nodding it to the favorite. Republicans always get excited at tight margins in WI, MI, and PA in some noisy polls but they always nod blue in the end. AZ and GA are the same, conceptually.

I'd love to be proven wrong but Hillary won't win those two.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2016, 11:48:27 PM »

I read a study somewhere that spending hundred millions of dollars in campaign net you maybe 1 % higher vote than you'd otherwise have gotten. It isn't worth it.

I'd like to see her run up the score on her blue firewall. GA and AZ are nice but empirically, states that flirt with low margins usually end up nodding it to the favorite. Republicans always get excited at tight margins in WI, MI, and PA in some noisy polls but they always nod blue in the end. AZ and GA are the same, conceptually.

I think this is exactly the wrong election to be relying too much on patterns and normal election practices.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2016, 01:02:46 AM »

I think this is exactly the wrong election to be relying too much on patterns and normal election practices.

If I was Clinton I'd be going hard hard hard in Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Nevada, and Florida, because time spent in those states is worth double due to it helping Senate candidates (the Portman race is over).  Although Pat Murphy doesn't deserve help from anyone, lying bastard.  I'd target Missouri and Indiana over Arizona and Georgia for similar reasons, help Kander and Bayh with your presence (McCain race is also over).

Go after Republicans, tie the whole party to Trump.  Throw as many wrenches in the works as possible to troll them.  The best outcome of this election isn't taking the house, it's leading the deplorables to break away from the normal Republicans and either form their own party or just not turn out to vote for Paul Ryan and company.  After all, if the Sanders children won't turn up to vote because they think Hillary and Trump are both equally bad, surely the idiots on the Trump side can be convinced to not turn up in the midterm election because both the Republicans and the Democrats are equally bad?

Of course it's all a little nerve-wracking because the stakes for the presidential election are far, far higher than for the senate election.  So if she loses by one point because she tried to help the senate candidates rather than going 100% all-in on her own campaign, I don't know how you ever get over that.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2016, 09:37:40 PM »

Usher, Tyra Banks among celebs stumping for Hillary Clinton this weekend
http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2016/10/27/usher-tyra-banks-among-celebs-stumping-for-hillary-clinton-this-weekend/

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/elections/2016/10/27/donald-trumps-campaign-scouting-locations-saturday-rally/92534068/
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2016, 09:41:07 PM »

It would be great to see trump lose Arizona after wasting so much time and resources there.
Come-on AZ .... Vote Clinton !
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2016, 09:11:56 AM »

Trump is campaigning in Arizona for the 7th time in the general election, while Hillary currently has nothing scheduled for the weekend.
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2016, 09:21:40 AM »

She is reaping the benefits of A) Winning, and B) Having popular surrogates like Bill, Joe Biden, Tim Kaine, and President Obama on her side--all of whom are campaigning on her behalf this weekend. When she takes downtime she has an army far more popular than herself to deploy. When Donald takes downtime...who's he going to deploy? Pence? Giuliani? Gingrich? Please.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2016, 09:23:58 AM »

Trump is campaigning in Arizona for the 7th time in the general election, while Hillary currently has nothing scheduled for the weekend.

That's because Trump is the most energetic, healthiest person ever to run for President, while Hillary Clinton doesn't have any stamina, and has to nap all weekend to recover from her low-energy femininity.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2016, 09:24:58 AM »

I believe she'll be in Florida on Sat...  but having that much flexibility and cash gives me pause to think they're not going to play the next week completely safe.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2016, 10:02:37 AM »

That's because Trump is the most energetic, healthiest person ever to run for President, while Hillary Clinton doesn't have any stamina, and has to nap all weekend to recover from her low-energy femininity.
Best words!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies