The Klartext Landfill for Absurd, Ignorant, and Deplorable Posts VI
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:36:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Klartext Landfill for Absurd, Ignorant, and Deplorable Posts VI
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 77
Author Topic: The Klartext Landfill for Absurd, Ignorant, and Deplorable Posts VI  (Read 150296 times)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #950 on: February 28, 2017, 11:19:03 PM »

Bronz isn't hiding it anymore:

Beshear is a good man. A good white man.

He edited it real quick.
What's the problem with this? He just stated a fact.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #951 on: March 01, 2017, 01:00:00 AM »

Bronz isn't hiding it anymore:

Beshear is a good man. A good white man.

He edited it real quick.
What's the problem with this? He just stated a fact.

The problem with it is in the pragmatics of the sentence. In linguistics, pragmatics is a subfield that covers the meaning of language in context, beyond semantic 1:1 word to definition correlations. When in the context of political discourse on a forum, using a racial adjective in a "a good white man" juxtaposed with the initial context of "a good man" leaves a sour subtext. It reads that race is somehow a pretext or justification for the fact that this specific man is "good," which can be read that a man who is absent of such a racial feature would likely not be. I could go into more detail if you like, but there's a reason why he rushed to correct it after re-reading it.

Below a summary of the subtle, yet significant, differences in interpretation:

Saying "Beshear is a good white man" alone is not the same as saying "Beshear is a good man. A good white man." The former reads as a mere fact, perhaps in contrast with other white men who probably aren't so good (mildly controversial still due to a potential sweeping statement interpretation, but not quite as bad). The latter reads as I explained it above.

Does that make sense?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #952 on: March 01, 2017, 01:38:51 PM »

HOT TAKE ALERT

In many ways, all politics throughout all history has just been about the mutual hatred between rural people and urban people, all ideology was just window dressing.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #953 on: March 01, 2017, 02:27:56 PM »

HOT TAKE ALERT

In many ways, all politics throughout all history has just been about the mutual hatred between rural people and urban people, all ideology was just window dressing.

The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #954 on: March 01, 2017, 04:36:00 PM »

HOT TAKE ALERT

White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #955 on: March 01, 2017, 08:20:05 PM »

He isn't necessarily wrong. My entire ideology is based on hatred of cities and suburbs.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #956 on: March 01, 2017, 08:44:45 PM »

He isn't necessarily wrong. My entire ideology is based on hatred of cities and suburbs.
And my entire ideology is based off of hating the places where my food comes from!
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #957 on: March 01, 2017, 09:56:10 PM »

thanks for posting directly into the deluge.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #958 on: March 01, 2017, 11:05:11 PM »

Yeah, sorry SG but that's a pretty awful thing to say.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #959 on: March 02, 2017, 12:10:32 AM »

-Again, creating ISIS (something Obama actually did) is treasonous. Failing to take a Hitleresque stance on Russia isn't. This ain't complicated.

This just isn't ok anymore.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #960 on: March 02, 2017, 02:00:36 AM »

This could possibly be the one positive legacy that Trump could leave for his successor, at least when it concerns foreign policy -a defanged North Korean regime.  And  if Kim Jong-un really badly miscalculates, possibly a regime change.  

But North Korea has artillery pointed and ready at the capital of South Korea at all times... it would take them about 10 minutes to kill millions of South Koreans.

Is it worth to go pre-emptive and have the lives of millions on your hands?

The "sea of fire" has been repeatedly debunked time and time again, yet this keeps coming up. Few of their artillery can actually reach Seoul, and that's assuming the more modern ones actually actually work! Of course there will be thousands of civilian deaths, but millions? Simply absurd.

Speaking lightly of "thousands of civilian deaths" like it's nothing. Why are Americans so bloodthirsty?  North Korea has killed precisely zero Americans.

Overlooking the plight of hundreds of thousands trapped in gulags, how can you be so stone hearted Beet? How can a human think be this way?Cry

It's not so nice when the other side tries to poison the well is it?

Look, you're literally advocating mass murder. Why? Presumably you have a comfortable life in California, almost certainly no North Korean has personally bothered you, or harmed you in any way. Yet you want them dead. Why not just live your life, and let others live theirs?

The exact argument can be said in reverse, silence in the face of injustice is consent. I however will not debase myself and call you murderer for taking that stance. I am disappointed that you are incapable of keeping yourself composed when you are confronted with the same kind of language you used to incite a reaction out of me.

You advocate for an unprovoked attack that, by your own admission, would result in the deaths of "thousands" of innocent civilians. What else is to be called but what it is? If it's our job to end injustice in the world, then let's start with Bashar al-Assad's regime in Syria, then continue on to Saudi Arabia, then continue on to Egypt and Iran. All of these would be easier than North Korea.

Do you admit that leaving North Korea alone will mean tens of thousands more dying in gulags? Yes or no question.

I admit to wanting our country to live in peace. I admit that we should stop being the world's policeman, as Trump campaigned on, and that we should focus on rebuilding the middle class here at home, as Trump campaigned on. I don't want to see our brave young men and women dying in another distant, far off war, especially a land war in Asia against a nuclear power. I think we should mind our own business and focus on domestic healing and reconciliation. That's what I'll admit to.

Beet tries to save face after being cornered with his own rhetoric.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #961 on: March 02, 2017, 05:36:52 AM »

Yeah, sorry SG but that's a pretty awful thing to say.
I probably should've made gone a bit farther with the hyperbole. I meant it entirely as a joke and apologize to anyone I may have offended.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #962 on: March 02, 2017, 05:43:33 AM »

Most city areas are trash, unless their working class not ghetto but poor ones, in which these areas are also trash, but my kind of trash.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #963 on: March 02, 2017, 09:04:27 AM »

lol.

The dem/msm attempt to create fake scandals from retinue, mundane things proves just how intellectually and morally bankrupt they are. For three months the media has been pushing this lie, and for three months they've been forced to admit, buried at the end of every 'story', that there isn't any evidence for these wild claims. Yet they put 'RUSSIA, INVESTIGATION, TRUMP' in sensational headlines anyway. It's beyond absurd at this point. It's blatant propaganda.

Democrats have nothing left except more ethnic/gender divisions and phony outrage. And people are rejecting it, not just in America but all across western civilization.

These daily outrages represent the last dying breath of cultural marxism.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #964 on: March 02, 2017, 11:57:21 AM »

Most city areas are trash, unless their working class not ghetto but poor ones, in which these areas are also trash, but my kind of trash.

This thread is for collecting bad posts, not making them.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #965 on: March 02, 2017, 03:24:52 PM »

Yes.

More seriously, the question of getting along with Russia is less Russia itself, and more Russia's government under Putin. Putin is really not someone we should get along with, especially at the extent the Trump administration has.

Have a Russia under a less security state-ish leader, and I would have no problems with being best buds with Russia.

-Naw, Putin's great. What's your problem with him? And Trump has done almost nothing in terms of US-RU cooperation so far.
Putin has had journalists and opposition leaders murdered, perpetuated illegal wars against the Ukraine and Georgia (and possibly had his military commit war crimes there and in Chechnya), has used the Russian Orthodox Church as a nationalistic battering ram, has perpetuated rabidly anti-LGBT laws in Russia, and last but not least, possibly personally stole a Super Bowl ring.

And Trump's lavish words of praise for Putin and his administrations hinting at lifting sanctions on Russia is proof enough of cooperation.

How's that any different from Bill Clinton? DADT, Kosovo, Clinton Body Count, thievery from the White House, constant invoking of God.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #966 on: March 02, 2017, 04:49:29 PM »

Eh, when will this "Clinton body count" meme finally die?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #967 on: March 02, 2017, 05:18:09 PM »

And yes, that Chesterton quote has to be the most asinine thing I've ever read anyone say about this subject, ever.  Just what kind of pompous, uncompassionate scumbag would tell someone who genuinely wishes to end their life, someone who is at a point of such grave desperation that they see no other escape from the pain they experience every waking moment of their life, that acting on their desire makes them morally inferior to a rapist or a thief or a murderer?  What a bunch of pretentious, unadulterated nonsense.

Why does it even matter what he tells them? The only reason you'd want to avoid being compared to a rapist or a thief or a murderer, is if you still cared for the things of this world.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #968 on: March 02, 2017, 05:19:14 PM »

-When the Putin body count meme will.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #969 on: March 02, 2017, 05:20:51 PM »

But that's an actual thing
Eharding

« Reply #970 on: March 02, 2017, 05:39:24 PM »

But that's an actual thing

Only as much as the Clinton Body Count.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #971 on: March 02, 2017, 09:16:09 PM »

Virginia? A mod? Another terrible decision. The Republicans won last year; no Democratic mods should be approved until Dems take back the House, Senate, or presidency.
Eharding

« Reply #972 on: March 02, 2017, 09:35:38 PM »

In protest of Virginia's appointment as a mod, I shall leave this board for three days, starting now.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #973 on: March 02, 2017, 09:37:37 PM »

In protest of Virginia's appointment as a mod, I shall leave this board for three days, starting now.

Wow - today just got a lot better
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #974 on: March 02, 2017, 09:46:55 PM »

Wow - today just got a lot better
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 77  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies