Will Roe v. Wade by overturned?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:56:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will Roe v. Wade by overturned?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Will Roe v. Wade be overturned before the Democrats once again occupy the WH?
Yes
No
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Will Roe v. Wade by overturned?  (Read 3776 times)
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 02, 2005, 12:28:49 AM »

I think it will.  It won't affect me directly, though.  It'll be fun seeing if the slippery slope argument also applies to abortion, in which case it might affect me.  Let's just see, I guess Smiley
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2005, 12:30:16 AM »

Overturning it would make good constitutional sense. Lets' hope that happens.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2005, 12:33:35 AM »

I don't see it happending.  However, I have no problem with leaving this issue up to the states.
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2005, 12:48:00 AM »

I don't see it happending.  However, I have no problem with leaving this issue up to the states.
Ditto...I don't see how it relates to the Constitution.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2005, 02:31:18 AM »

It'll happen if there are 2 more total wingnuts on the court. For instance if O' Connor and Stevens are both replaced by fundies.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2005, 03:07:59 AM »

I hope so; it was a terrible decision. Abortion is the sort of issue that should be decided by the legislature. A compromise could have and should have been found...
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2005, 03:10:20 AM »

I hope so; it was a terrible decision. Abortion is the sort of issue that should be decided by the legislature. A compromise could have and should have been found...

So you'd like abortion banned?
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2005, 03:23:22 AM »

Thankfully you live in Maryland.  Talk to someone in Pennsylvania!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2005, 04:05:47 AM »

In an ideal world, yes. This is not an ideal world though, and as I have said before the only people to benifit from a ban on abortion are the manufacturers of wire coat-hangers.
I personally favour it being illegal after 18 weeks, but that's just my opinion.
I think when abortion should or should not be legal should be legislated by the legislature NOT the courts.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2005, 04:11:51 AM »

In an ideal world, yes. This is not an ideal world though, and as I have said before the only people to benifit from a ban on abortion are the manufacturers of wire coat-hangers.
I personally favour it being illegal after 18 weeks, but that's just my opinion.
I think when abortion should or should not be legal should be legislated by the legislature NOT the courts.

So you'd like it banned after 18 weeks even in cases to save the woman's life or rape?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2005, 04:44:09 AM »

So you'd like it banned after 18 weeks even in cases to save the woman's life or rape?

If the only options are between both dying and only the baby dying then you have to save as many lives as possible. It's better to see that as an emergency medical procedure rather than as an abortion as such though; the issue is quite different.
As for rape, I don't support the death penalty.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2005, 06:35:41 AM »

Hopefully it's overturned.  Will it be?  All depends on who Bush appoints.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2005, 09:49:56 AM »

Unfortunately, no, or at least not by this appointment.

The last major case that I can think of where Roe was in question was Planned Parenthood v. Casey in 1992. 

I heard a number of columnists wrongly claiming that it was O'Connor who was the swing vote in this case.  In actuality, it was Kennedy.  Originally, he supported the dissenters' side here, which would have, in the end, overturned Roe v. Wade, but changed his mind somewhere along the process.

The vote was 5-4.  Concurring were Souter, O'Connor, Thurgood Marshall, Stevens, and Kennedy.  Dissenting were Rehnquist, Scalia, Thomas and the oft-forgotten Byron White.

White was replaced by Ruth Bader Ginsburg in 1993.  Marshall was replaced by Stephen Breyer in 1994.  I have no doubt that both of these nominees would have sided with the majority on this one, making it 6-3.

So, even if O'Connor was replaced by a Justice who wanted to overturn Roe v. Wade, nothing would change.  The change would happen if someone like Ginsburg or Stevens stepped down from the bench and was replaced by someone against Roe v. Wade.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2005, 10:26:01 AM »

Regardless of who is nominated, the fundamental aspects of Roe will continue to remain the law of the land. In fact, many conservatives have essentially accepted the precedent, and now they seem to be focusing on various legislative attempts to curtail the accessibility of abortion. However, this does not mean that Justice O'Connor's successor won't cause the Supreme Court to move to the right on abortion.

It is almost inevitable that the Supreme Court will consider the ban on dilation and extraction. In 2000, the Supreme Court struck down an almost identical Nebraska law, with Sandra Day O'Connor's vote deciding (Stenberg v. Carhart). Obviously, George Bush will not appoint someone with a similar inclination, and we might be forced to live with the ban. Also, the Supreme Court has announced it will hear a case on parental notification next term. This was an opportunity for the Supreme Court to reconsider the rigid requirements it allowed in Hodgson v. Minnesota, with the distinct chance that Sandra Day O'Connor's diffidence would lead to a far more liberal precedent. You can rest assured that if anything, the states will be allowed to place more barriers in the way of a girl seeking an abortion.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2005, 11:16:20 AM »

I pretty much agree with you. But it's not something I worry about, since only something like .3% of abortions are performed after the 4th month.

I think overturning Roe v. Wade would be a disaster for this country. Any poor girl in the south is going to be out of luck and there will be a big increase in families living in poverty and/or unsafe abortions.

It is definitely possible it is overturned. If O'Connor and Justice Stevens both retire and are replaced by fundies Roe v. Wade will be overturned.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2005, 12:02:01 PM »

Roe is based on the same legal logic as Dred Scott: substantive due process (i.e. whatever I feel should be unconstitutional, is unconstitutional).
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2005, 12:36:00 PM »

I pretty much agree with you. But it's not something I worry about, since only something like .3% of abortions are performed after the 4th month.

I think overturning Roe v. Wade would be a disaster for this country. Any poor girl in the south is going to be out of luck and there will be a big increase in families living in poverty and/or unsafe abortions.

It is definitely possible it is overturned. If O'Connor and Justice Stevens both retire and are replaced by fundies Roe v. Wade will be overturned.

Yep...and it's kind of scary.  Don't some people consider contraception murder?  I see the cliched slippery slope.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2005, 12:36:54 PM »

I hope so.  It needs to be redefined, and the current ruling is too restictive.
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2005, 02:07:53 PM »

It will only be overturned if Stevens dies and the Republicans go nuclear during the impending blow up when Bush nominates a conservative to replace him.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2005, 02:19:44 PM »

Will it be overturned? Yes, and I hope it is too. When will that happen? Who knows about that, it could be soon. (All we need are more justices resigning and conservatives getting appointed).
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2005, 02:40:27 PM »

^^
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2005, 11:54:51 PM »

Roe will need at least one more and more likely two more vacancies among its current supporters to be overturned.  Given the significance of the case, and the legal framework that both supports it and has been built on it, a framework that extends far beyond the issue of abortion,  I doubt if the court is going to want to overturn Roe with a simple 5-4 majority.  I don't see that many vacancies before the 2008 elections.  If Roe v. Wade is to be overturned before the Dems get the White House again then at a minimum they will have to lose again in 2008.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2005, 11:59:38 PM »

Roe will need at least one more and more likely two more vacancies among its current supporters to be overturned.  Given the significance of the case, and the legal framework that both supports it and has been built on it, a framework that extends far beyond the issue of abortion,  I doubt if the court is going to want to overturn Roe with a simple 5-4 majority.  I don't see that many vacancies before the 2008 elections.  If Roe v. Wade is to be overturned before the Dems get the White House again then at a minimum they will have to lose again in 2008.

Stevens is 85. If he and O "Connor both get replaced by wingnuts, the weaker Planned Parenthood vs. Casey ruling that replaced Roe vs. Wade will be completely struck down.
PADem

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2005, 02:25:54 AM »

Why you think that we'd outlaw it completely? I'd say that a motion to ban completely or restrict abortion heavily would be swiftly vetoed by Rendell and the legislature wouldn't override.

TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2005, 02:29:27 AM »

Why you think that we'd outlaw it completely? I'd say that a motion to ban completely or restrict abortion heavily would be swiftly vetoed by Rendell and the legislature wouldn't override.

You have a precedent from the 1970s that should NEVER be overturned.  This "leave it up to the states" is total bullcrap. 
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies