Politico: Shy Clinton Vote?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:04:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Politico: Shy Clinton Vote?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Politico: Shy Clinton Vote?  (Read 3401 times)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 04, 2016, 01:39:01 PM »

Many College educated women are keeping their decision not to vote for Trump to themselves
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 01:40:21 PM »

my theories are coming true people! The shy Clinton vote may give us a truly beautiful landslide, folks!
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 01:42:56 PM »

Considering how popular hating Clinton is with the most vocal partisans on both the right and to a certain extent the left, I think a shy Clinton vote is very possible.
swf541

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 01:43:45 PM »

Definitely possible.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 01:46:50 PM »

Chuck Todd has been talking about this for a while, often saying things like "don't be surprised if there is a hidden Clinton vote" and it may be bigger than the supposed "hidden Trump vote" 
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 01:49:49 PM »

I've definitely met my share of "shy Clinton voters." When I was visiting in NYC recently, I met an old lady who's from Waukesha and lives in FL now. She's 100% for Clinton, but when she talks to her family back at home here in WI, she has to keep it hidden. She said it was a "taboo" topic, but that she thinks many are in the same tank as her.
elcorazon

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 02:01:03 PM »

In red states, you rarely hear people proudly support Clinton. They always have to put some sort of qualifier on any criticism of Trump or any positive Hillary comment. I'm not sure it'll be meaningful, but I never bought the shy Trump voter, partly for this very reason.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 02:02:12 PM »

McCaskill vs. Akin 2.0, folks.

Still, don't count on it
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 02:04:20 PM »

There may well be one...but it may well be balanced out by a shy Trump vote.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 02:17:03 PM »

Don't think there will be a "shy vote" either way, to be fair
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 02:20:42 PM »

I hope this is the case, but it might not be.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 02:24:37 PM »

I've found the number of Shy Trump voters to be substantially higher from an anecdotal point of view but this is North Florida, where the average white male Florida native Democrat is far more right leaning than a middle aged Republican transplant from Indiana.
HillOfANight
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 02:25:30 PM »

This is already in the polls though no, where you don't know anyone that supports Clinton, even though she does well...
ursulahx
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 02:37:13 PM »

This is already in the polls though no, where you don't know anyone that supports Clinton, even though she does well...

Exactly. I'm very sceptical of a shy anything vote.

The "shy Tory" effect in the 1992 UK general election was enhanced by the fact that the Tories had been in power for 13 years at that point and were generally held to have done some horrendous things, the poll tax being the most prominent. Add to that the natural British reticence to disclose one's true feelings, even to a stranger, and the trap for the pollsters was set.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2016, 02:47:12 PM »

I remember reading an article in the primaries about those who helped phonebank/canvas for Hillary were often worried about things like "Will people know who I am?  Do I have to give my name?" and such because they were worried about backlash.  Bernie supporters and Trump supporters have been very passionate and especially abrasive when online.  It could be that Clinton supporters are the type of people who just don't want to enter an argument with a passionate Bernie/Trump supporter, even if they are just as passionate because they want to avoid the conflict.

I know that describes me pretty well.  I'm very enthusiastic for Hillary; but I never tried to persuade Bernie supporters in the primary or Trump supporters in the general.  I remember when I watched the first Republican debate I posted on social media about watching it (but didn't take any sides), and a friend saw me later in person and mentioned they watched it too and they asked who I was supporting.  I tried to play it off as no opinion even though I've been a Clinton supporter since even before the primaries.  They started guessing, and went through a few Republican candidates (I think Bush/Trump/Kasich and maybe one or two more) before guessing Bernie, and it didn't seem like they'd have cared if I said yes.  I gave up and just said "Clinton" then, and the tone went to a disdainful/sour "Really?".

That's the kind of thing that I think makes it hard to be vocal about Clinton sometimes.  Trump (and Bernie supporters in the primary) supporters treat you like you're awful if you support Clinton; but the most you'll get out of a Clinton support if you say you support Trump is likely a "Yeah, I'm not really into Trump.  Seems like a temperament problem." and they won't hound them.
The suburbs I lived in were pretty conservative. Back during the primaries, I said I was voting for Kasich while most everyone else said Trump, Cruz, or Bernie. I told one friend, a Bernie supporter, that I was voting for Hillary. He shut me down immediately, lambasting her about everything from emails to gay rights. I quickly learned to be quiet after that. There were many who wanted Clinton locked up.

I voted for Clinton.

Same now that I'm back in college. I don't tell anyone but a couple other Hillary supporters.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2016, 02:53:46 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2016, 09:22:58 AM by Mr. Morden »

If the polls end up being "off", then I think it's far more likely to happen because the pollsters did a bad job of constructing their samples than because the poll respondents were untruthful about who they supported.
rafta_rafta

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2016, 07:00:27 PM »

People might be shy to admit their support for Clinton among family and friends, but why would they not admit it to a pollster.

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2016, 07:02:53 PM »

People might be shy to admit their support for Clinton among family and friends, but why would they not admit it to a pollster.

Depends on if there husband or family members is in the room when the pollster calls.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2016, 07:08:56 PM »

I know quite a few people who I personally suspect will vote for Hillary but won't talk about it because 1) they do not wish to be identified with the Democratic Party, 2) don't really like her and 3) are SURE to be down ballot GOP voters.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2016, 07:34:45 PM »

I know quite a few people who I personally suspect will vote for Hillary but won't talk about it because 1) they do not wish to be identified with the Democratic Party, 2) don't really like her and 3) are SURE to be down ballot GOP voters.

I also see a fair amount of this around here (Atlanta suburbs).  It's one reason I think Georgia is going to be close.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2016, 07:40:44 PM »

I also see a fair amount of this around here (Atlanta suburbs).  It's one reason I think Georgia is going to be close.

There's going to be much more Clinton/Isakson voters in Georgia than I had thought before.

Tons.  Isakson really is quite popular here, while Barksdale has run a mostly invisible campaign (and the visible parts haven't helped him.)
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2016, 09:53:37 PM »

It's far more likely there will be a shy Trump vote.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2016, 09:55:45 PM »

I mean, I notice you have gotten a bit shy about your own position. Where is the Trump/Pence badge?
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2016, 09:58:07 PM »

I mean, I notice you have gotten a bit shy about your own position. Where is the Trump/Pence badge?

I only support Trump, not Pence.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2016, 10:02:07 PM »

I only support Trump, not Pence.

Well, considering that if Trump is elected he is likely to be impeached fast, you may have your "Tyler too" Smiley
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies