Why are Ohio and Pennsylvania diverging so much?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:13:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Why are Ohio and Pennsylvania diverging so much?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why are Ohio and Pennsylvania diverging so much?  (Read 696 times)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 04, 2016, 12:49:46 PM »

Pennsylvania has been consistently to the left of Ohio in presidential elections, but generally not by more than 5 or 6%. They were only 2.5% apart in 2012. They're demographically fairly similar, and while Pennsylvania has a slightly higher percentage of college graduates, that wouldn't seem to be an explanation by itself. Why is it looking like the gap between these two states could be 10% or possibly even more?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 12:54:34 PM »

Philadelphia
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 01:09:54 PM »

I don't think they are. A few weeks ago when Ohio was looking like it was about Trump +2-3, we had a few polls come out showing Clinton leading Pennsylvania by only 2-3. We have got a spate of Pennsylvania polls come out after the debate but only one out of Ohio, which might be an outlier. Yes, there has been movement since 2012, but Pennsylvania being about 6 points more Democratic than Ohio isn't unprecedented. That is where I feel the race is right now. According to Fivethirtyeight's nowcast, Ohio would be tied if the election was today, and Clinton would win Pennsylvania by 6. Sounds about right.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 01:11:35 PM »

I don't think they are. A few weeks ago when Ohio was looking like it was about Trump +2-3, we had a few polls come out showing Clinton leading Pennsylvania by only 2-3. We have got a spate of Pennsylvania polls come out after the debate but only one out of Ohio, which might be an outlier. Yes, there has been movement since 2012, but Pennsylvania being about 6 points more Democratic than Ohio isn't unprecedented. That is where I feel the race is right now. According to Fivethirtyeight's nowcast, Ohio would be tied if the election was today, and Clinton would win Pennsylvania by 6. Sounds about right.

I don't think they are either. I think the media is trying to pump up this "Trump invincible in Ohio" narrative to keep interest in the horserace. They won't diverge by more than 7-8 points come Election Day, especially with the early vote and Clinton's ground game cutting the margins
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 01:14:15 PM »

I don't think they are either. I think the media is trying to pump up this "Trump invincible in Ohio" narrative to keep interest in the horserace. They won't diverge by more than 7-8 points come Election Day, especially with the early vote and Clinton's ground game cutting the margins

I think Clinton wins Ohio in the end. I am not as confident about Iowa but it should be close either way.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 01:25:22 PM »

The apparent OH-PA split and IA-WI split this year has been very crious this election cycle. It will be interesting to see the final results because the polls are not lining up with usual expectations for how these states vote in comparison to each other. Also, North Carolina already seemingly being to the left of Ohio and Iowa is quite surprising.
Mallow
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 01:33:19 PM »

The apparent OH-PA split and IA-WI split this year has been very crious this election cycle. It will be interesting to see the final results because the polls are not lining up with usual expectations for how these states vote in comparison to each other. Also, North Carolina already seemingly being to the left of Ohio and Iowa is quite surprising.

Yep, on a list of surprising mismatched-polling-pairs so far, I'd definitely include IA/WI, OH/PA, OH&IA/NC, ME/NH, and NV/CO.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 01:52:30 PM »

Ohio has a R-leaning metro in Cincinnati.  It might be the most right-leaning major metro in the northern US.  The only Democrats Hamilton County ever voted for were LBJ and Obama, and in 2000, 2004, and 2012 the number of GOP votes in the county (usually around 200k) has been larger than the margin of victory statewide.

Take Cincy away, and Republicans would have a much harder time picking it up.
elcorazon

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 01:59:13 PM »

southern Ohio is southern. Southeastern Ohio is coal country. What's the minority population in Ohio relative to Pennsylvania?
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 04:04:36 PM »

southern Ohio is southern. Southeastern Ohio is coal country. What's the minority population in Ohio relative to Pennsylvania?

The white population of Cincinnati is conservative German Catholic.  It's more like Milwaukee or St. Louis than anything else.  Note how Republican the white populations of those two cities vote, and I'm guessing you'll see a similar pattern.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 06:23:31 PM »

So much for Ohio being on the back burner. President Obama will rally for Hillary next Friday (October 14) in OH
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2016, 12:20:11 AM »

I don't think they are. I think the pollsters are wrong and we'll see if they are wrong about PA and WI, or about OH and IA.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies