NYT acquires 1995 Trump tax return; he deducted $916 million in business losses
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:36:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  NYT acquires 1995 Trump tax return; he deducted $916 million in business losses
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11
Author Topic: NYT acquires 1995 Trump tax return; he deducted $916 million in business losses  (Read 14581 times)
rafta_rafta

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: October 02, 2016, 08:37:43 AM »

Guiliani basically admitted he doesn't pay taxes

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/782572616276140032
Panda Express

« Reply #126 on: October 02, 2016, 08:45:05 AM »

Maybe the Trump campaign really did leak this

1. It gives him a reason for not paying taxes
2. It makes him look sympathetic ("It was leaked without my permission!")
3. His supporters don't care because they're terrible people
mark_twain
United States

« Reply #127 on: October 02, 2016, 08:46:11 AM »

Drop out for legally using the tax code and carrying over operating losses as he is allowed to? Give me a break. The amount of financial illiteracy on this board is astounding.

Further, the Times broke the law by publishing these documents. They should be ashamed of themselves.

And it's all in your head...

Try telling your arguments to the millions of middle-class workers in OH and PA, whom Trump is desperately counting on for votes, who pay every penny of taxes to the government for their hard-earned dollars.

And, yes, it might be legal, but that is beside the point. The point is that the Clinton campaign has every right to use this story to damage Trump so that he does not get elected...
mark_twain
United States

« Reply #128 on: October 02, 2016, 08:48:07 AM »

I doubt it.

Trump really needs to sway the undecided voters, and this will turn off a high percentage of them in one shot.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #129 on: October 02, 2016, 08:52:00 AM »

Is the 1995 return still under audit? If not, why was it not released by Trump?

You can release tax returns even if they are under audit.

Yeah, I know, but it is Trump's excuse (a totally lame one, I might add - I don't see why releasing a return under audit would compromise the taxpayer's position myself). Anyway, that excuse presumably does not obtain for this old return.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #130 on: October 02, 2016, 08:54:10 AM »

The fact that lib Republicans like GWB, McCain and Romney were perfectly acceptable to people like your lefty mother says it all really.

I didn't say she supported any of them. I said she has friends that have supported them. I happen to believe the same. Supporting Trump, though, is the kind of revelation that could end a friendship. As for the reasoning, I honestly don't know where to start. Is it his disrespect of women? Is it is his disrespect of the disabled, or Mexicans, or Muslims, or what? Is it his failure to pay federal income taxes for almost or at least two decades while tens of millions of hard-working Americans do?

Donald Trump is the embodiment of that which his supporters so utterly despise. He is the boss that will deny you a raise. He is the boss that will deny you time off when you're sick. He is the boss that will deny you a vacation with your family. Almost everyone that has had to work at least a low-paying job understands that kind of boss. I don't understand this. What do you people see in him? He literally does and takes advantage of everything you apparently despise. He is a fraud that would screw you over so fast it would make your head spin. I don't say that as a political junkie. I say that as one human being to those that will listen. If you want the Supreme Court, fine. That's one thing, but that's a small minority of Trump supporters. I'm honestly asking as one human being, one American to another, please rethink your support for this man. I don't expect the pleas of one random person behind a keyboard to register, but I think it's worth a shot.
rafta_rafta

« Reply #131 on: October 02, 2016, 09:18:17 AM »

I don't think he did. The only reason to leak the taxes himself was if they were fake and Trump wants to pull a fast one on NYT. I doubt they'd have run the story without verifying the document though.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #132 on: October 02, 2016, 09:50:07 AM »

I don't think he did. The only reason to leak the taxes himself was if they were fake and Trump wants to pull a fast one on NYT. I doubt they'd have run the story without verifying the document though.

Read the story.  Jack Mitnick, the accountant who prepared the return, confirmed to the Times that it's authentic.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/02/us/politics/donald-trump-taxes.html
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #133 on: October 02, 2016, 09:59:03 AM »

Donald Trump, 2015. First sentence of the 2nd paragraph is interesting.

THE big lesson that shoould be taken from this is Mr. "Populist friend of the working man screwed over by the system" doesn't believe this statement one iota. Quite the opposite actually.

Second is he's actually a crappy businessman.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #134 on: October 02, 2016, 10:03:13 AM »

I see Seriously got his talking points from Trump Tower and immediately got into work.
Sorry, I don't need talking points to discuss common sense.

Any single taxpayer that has ever used H&R Block to find as many deductions as possible is just as "guilty" as Trump is here. I can never, ever, ever malign someone for legally using the tax code to pay as little as posisble to the government.

Maybe you liberals want to pay as much tax as possible, but I for one do not. If you do, you are more than welcome to voluntarily write a check to the IRS.
But don't you understand? The people who man the government bureaucracy are the greatest people on earth. State corporatism is the way to go. These people are working for the greater good of humanity.

Individual self employed capitalists like Trump are an affront to this, saying and doing what they like. They should shovel as much of their money into the bureaucratic bohemoth as they possibly can. That way they can be reduced to their proper role of serfdom to the bureaucracy as soon as possible, just like everyone else.
Of course they are. It takes a village to raise a child and all, certainly not parents. Collectivism, yay!
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #135 on: October 02, 2016, 10:07:08 AM »

THE big lesson that shoould be taken from this is Mr. "Populist friend of the working man screwed over by the system" doesn't believe this statement one iota. Quite the opposite actually.

1) I guess you've never heard of the book "The Art of the Comeback." Trump is neither the first nor the last developer to run into issues during an economic downturn.

2) Is Warren Buffett a "crappy businessman?" He lost $2 billion on Wells Fargo last week.

3) Anyone on here want to take a guess who signed the loophole Trump allegedly took advantage of into law?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #136 on: October 02, 2016, 10:09:35 AM »

Weird that, with all of their money problems, the Trump campaigning is employing people like Seriously? to regurgitate inane Trump campaign talking points on internet forums like this one.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #137 on: October 02, 2016, 10:31:28 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

She didn't tweet this but she should've.  I feel like "pathetic businessman loses a billion dollars in just one year" is a better angle than "he didn't pay taxes!"
skoods
United States

« Reply #138 on: October 02, 2016, 10:35:35 AM »

3) Anyone on here want to take a guess who signed the loophole Drumpf allegedly took advantage of into law?

It sure as hell wasn't Hillary, and she's the one running for President.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #139 on: October 02, 2016, 10:37:36 AM »

Susanne Craig, the story's lead reporter, implied there are more docs & stories to come.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #140 on: October 02, 2016, 10:38:07 AM »

Whoo boy.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #141 on: October 02, 2016, 10:43:16 AM »

Weird that, with all of their money problems, the Trump campaigning is employing people like Seriously? to regurgitate inane Trump campaign talking points on internet forums like this one.
Funny. I am still looking for that paycheck from the Trump organization.

But don't let facts get in the way of your fantasyland narrative there, Lief.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #142 on: October 02, 2016, 10:51:43 AM »

So is everyone else he has stiffed.
psychprofessor

« Reply #143 on: October 02, 2016, 10:57:25 AM »

if these tax returns show what a "genius" trump really is, then, well, release all of them. i want to see just how smart trump is.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #144 on: October 02, 2016, 10:59:47 AM »

1) I guess you've never heard of the book "The Art of the Comeback." Trump is neither the first nor the last developer to run into issues during an economic downturn.

2) Is Warren Buffett a "crappy businessman?" He lost $2 billion on Wells Fargo last week.

3) Anyone on here want to take a guess who signed the loophole Trump allegedly took advantage of into law?

1) 1995 being "the downturn"?!? Are you lying, high, or stupid? There is no option D

2) How much do you think he'll "lose" this year? Hint: he's actually competent and truly believes the tax structure is screwing secretaries while serving their bosses.

3) Hor$e$hit. Remember that upper income, budget balancing tax icreases is why right wing jhihadists like you loathe the Clintons?
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #145 on: October 02, 2016, 11:00:50 AM »

So is everyone else he has stiffed.
Funny. Because Trump would pay me to post polls -- both positive and negative -- about his campaign, right? If I were on the payroll, I'd only be posting the ones with Trump up, not every day of a tracking poll no matter where it lies.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #146 on: October 02, 2016, 11:06:31 AM »

You consume whatever bait is put before you, hook, line and sinker,  just about as ravenously as Trump does.
EnglishPete

« Reply #147 on: October 02, 2016, 11:09:06 AM »

Funny. Because Trump would pay me to post polls -- both positive and negative -- about his campaign, right? If I were on the payroll, I'd only be posting the ones with Trump up, not every day of a tracking poll no matter where it lies.
Of course its actually the Clinton campaign who is hiring paid trolls.  We had the same thing in the UK, people posting pro Brexit or UKIP comments on social media or news media below the line comments sections would be accused of being paid UKIP trolls (as if UKIP had the money to spend on paid trolls) whereas it was actually the EU that was hiring plenty of paid trolls.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #148 on: October 02, 2016, 11:11:05 AM »

I see Seriously got his talking points from Trump Tower and immediately got into work.
Sorry, I don't need talking points to discuss common sense.

Any single taxpayer that has ever used H&R Block to find as many deductions as possible is just as "guilty" as Trump is here. I can never, ever, ever malign someone for legally using the tax code to pay as little as posisble to the government.

Maybe you liberals want to pay as much tax as possible, but I for one do not. If you do, you are more than welcome to voluntarily write a check to the IRS.

This is an interesting case of small reference pools for our friend Seriously. I'm sure in his ideological and socioeconomic circles, it would be seen as a major victory to not pay tax. Indeed, the idea of never having to part with a single cent is an aspirational idea, something to be emulated. Of course, if they stepped out of their safe space, they'd realise that the actual working people of America, rather than desperately wishing they could be as selfish as the Trumps of the world; simply want these elite figures to simply be less misers and pay what is fair so they can raise their children in a more egalitarian society.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #149 on: October 02, 2016, 11:12:07 AM »

Of course its actually the Clinton campaign who is hiring paid trolls.  We had the same thing in the UK, people posting pro Brexit or UKIP comments on social media or news media below the line comments sections would be accused of being paid UKIP trolls (as if UKIP had the money to spend on paid trolls) whereas it was actually the EU that was hiring plenty of paid trolls.

pro tip: nobody is paying trolls. the sad fact is we all do this for free Sad
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies