Senators more popular with the opposing party than their own
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:42:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Senators more popular with the opposing party than their own
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Senators more popular with the opposing party than their own  (Read 798 times)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 30, 2005, 10:00:54 PM »

Survey USA ranked every Senator in the U.S by approval in their home state.  If you click on their name at the site below you can see the rankings across demographics for each Senator

http://surveyusa.com/100USSenatorApprovalRatings061305.htm

The following have a higher approval with the opposing party than their own party

Johm McCain AZ  69% among Republicans 71% among Dems, ranks highest among moderates, lowest among conservatives

Bill Nelson's FL approval is 49% among both Reps & Dems, but disapproval among Reps is lower 26%, compared to 32% among Dems, Nelson ranks higher among conservatives & moderates than he does with liberals

Olympia Snowe ME  65% among Republicans 80% among Dems

Susan Collins ME  68% among Republicans 78% among Dems

Arlen Specter  PA 57% among Republicans 58% among Dems

Lincolin Chafee  RI 45% among Republicans 53% among Dems

Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 10:23:33 PM »

These polls have some really wacky internals.  Bill Nelson is net minus six among liberals, and net minus eleven among blacks?  What did he do to deserve that?  I'm very skeptical.
Overall, the same-party disapproval numbers seem unusually high for many of these Senators.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 10:40:25 PM »

These polls have some really wacky internals.  Bill Nelson is net minus six among liberals, and net minus eleven among blacks?  What did he do to deserve that?  I'm very skeptical.
Overall, the same-party disapproval numbers seem unusually high for many of these Senators.

As far as his #'s among liberals, that might be somewhat explained by him being a moderate & you have many people in Florida orignally from the Northeast who tend to favor more liberal Democrats.  Also some of the breakdowns in the internals might be somewhat misleading because of the sample size of the samples is quite small, the overall picture tends to make more sense.  Also some of these I think are pretty accurate for example collins, Snowe & Chafee doing better with Democrats than Republicans
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005, 10:41:11 PM »

This must be one of the 1 in 20 outliers.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies