India Assembly elections 2017- UP,Punjab,Uttarakhand,Manipur,Goa,HP,Gujarat (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:42:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  India Assembly elections 2017- UP,Punjab,Uttarakhand,Manipur,Goa,HP,Gujarat (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: India Assembly elections 2017- UP,Punjab,Uttarakhand,Manipur,Goa,HP,Gujarat  (Read 45819 times)
Shadows
YaBB God
« on: January 03, 2017, 05:41:42 AM »

It is probably a good idea for BJP to not get Upper House majority since then it becomes insanely autocratic & does stupid things like demonetization!
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 12:00:38 PM »

It is probably a good idea for BJP to not get Upper House majority since then it becomes insanely autocratic & does stupid things like demonetization!

Well, I can take the opposite position that as someone that would back Modi's professed neo-liberal policies if he really believed in it (which I do not believe he does ergo my non-support for BJP) that if NDA could get a majority in the Rajya Sabha then a neo-liberal NDA agenda can be passed and implemented without having to resort to non-conventional strategies like demonetization. 

That is not true & you know it. Let's not not give a political spin. He ordered a disastrous demonetization on his own without consulting people something which was planned by a fundamental right wing think-tank for a decade who had pitched this to Modi for years.

Besides the opposition has been incredibly supportive - Insurance Bill, Coal Auction, GST etc - BJP used to be like the Republicans opposing everything.

He is incredibly authoritarian, makes cheap attacks @ people & doesn't want to work with people ( & to be honest there are few high quality right wing people). It is better for him to not have Super-majority (although the Upper house has no powers except constitutional amendment, Budgets are passed by lower house controlled by BJP) so that he can become a mini-dictator!
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 03:07:02 PM »

Well, I can take the opposite position that as someone that would back Modi's professed neo-liberal policies if he really believed in it (which I do not believe he does ergo my non-support for BJP) that if NDA could get a majority in the Rajya Sabha then a neo-liberal NDA agenda can be passed and implemented without having to resort to non-conventional strategies like demonetization. 

That is not true & you know it. Let's not not give a political spin. He ordered a disastrous demonetization on his own without consulting people something which was planned by a fundamental right wing think-tank for a decade who had pitched this to Modi for years.

Besides the opposition has been incredibly supportive - Insurance Bill, Coal Auction, GST etc - BJP used to be like the Republicans opposing everything.

He is incredibly authoritarian, makes cheap attacks @ people & doesn't want to work with people ( & to be honest there are few high quality right wing people). It is better for him to not have Super-majority (although the Upper house has no powers except constitutional amendment, Budgets are passed by lower house controlled by BJP) so that he can become a mini-dictator!

Well, my statement was more under the assumption that the Modi regime has a real vision of neoliberal economic reform which I do not think he really has so the entire statement should be seen as counterfactual.  The Modi agenda has been blocked/delayed in the Rajya Sabha by non-NDA forces although Modi should take a major part of the blame with the way he tried to ram through his changes without negotiation.  Modi trying to topple various local INC  administrations makes it less likely that UPA will cooperate.  Anyway  demonization is really about projecting an image of action.  Modi promised revolutionary changes in 2014 and will be in trouble in 2019 if he is seen as not delivering.  Demonization, even if it is executed poorly, helps project the image of Modi as a man of action and I suspect that even if the economic effects are not positive, and it is not, at least on the short run, that the BJP will not be hurt much by it and in fact could gain. 

Again the Upper house can't do anything because Modi controls both Lower House & PM office. And Upper house has no jurisdiction over budget & financial matters. Upper House has almost no power except in constitutional amendment which is VERY VERY rare.

Demonetization is a disaster, you can't do anything for the sake of it - People were rationed money - Most small business came to a close, daily workers went hungry, people died & almost the entire money came back into the system from what I heard proving it a failure.

Based on the exit poll, I think the current government could sail through if they solve the feud & form an alliance with INC as the extra Voting % will give decisive victories in many marginal seats. Also, there's a huge fall in votes of the BJP as per your data from national polls.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 12:07:27 PM »

Anonymous INC sources in UP indicates that a SP Akhilesh Yadav faction - INC talks has resulted in a basic framework for an SP-INC alliance.  It will be INC getting around 100 seats and (RLD, JD(U), AD Krishna Patel faction) will get around 30 seats with around 275 going to SP.  Akhilesh Yadav will be projected as the CM candidate for this alliance and there will be joint campaign for this alliance.  If so it will be a SP-INC-RLD-AD(Krishna Patel)-JD(U) alliance which should lock up the Muslim votes, might lose some Yadav votes depending on how strong SP Mulayam Singh Yadav faction is and quiet competitive with Upper Caste and higher OBC votes.   

Based on your Exit poll data, the INC looks quite weak & gets too few seats. While the other 30 is okay & would consolidate seats of smaller parties giving a decisive edge in marginal seats, 100 seats will be a waste for INC.

If the SP led faction wants to come to power, then I think INC should fight 60-70 at best & SP fight atleast over 300 seats.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 12:04:46 PM »

Modi is coming under fire due to some communally & religiously discriminating comments against Muslims?
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 09:43:34 AM »

This guy is a complete religious nutjob & a radical guy & has a history of making anti-Muslim statements. I hope he doesn't try to resurrect that Ram Mandir stuff which will once again lead to mass communal riots.

One of the worst possible choices ever made for the CM - Is there any one who is more of a radical religious nutjob ? I think the BJP had a host of moderate decent leaders way better than this guy. The mask of development is falling off & naked brute communal-ism & Hindu Majoritarian politics are coming to fore-front.

Very disappointing - Complete against the mandate where Modi got big Muslim votes. I don't think BJP would have won if Yogi guy was projected as the CM candidate.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 11:01:21 AM »

The Mandir stuff is sub judice in the courts & any act of construction is illegal & a crime (violation of laws).

Just to add, apart from his ridiculous religiously bigoted statements against Muslims, I found this in Google -

http://www.indiatimes.com/news/india/yogi-adityanaths-men-telling-hindus-to-rape-dead-muslim-women-is-beyond-shocking-230679.html

(This man has to not just the most radical pick but a complete threat to multi-cultural-ism, freedom ore religion & secularism)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies