What happens to the Democratic Party if Trump wins?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:05:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What happens to the Democratic Party if Trump wins?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What happens to the Democratic Party if Trump wins?  (Read 3302 times)
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 19, 2016, 03:33:31 PM »

If Trump wins this year by an acceptable margin, how does this affect the Democratic Party? What changes will they have to make for 2018 and 2020?
Monolith
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.82, S: -2.31

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 03:57:20 PM »

I'd imagine there'd be a shift away from the Democratic Party that fought for Liberal ideas, and into an Anti-Trump Party for a short period. In a way I could see if become more of a safe haven for Republican refugees who don't like Trump.

Talks would be more focused on what Trump's been doing poorly, less about the ways they plan to fix it, and they'd pick more moderate candidates to draw more republicans into voting booths. With Trump in office, they don't have to worry too much about securing the democrat vote.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 09:51:08 PM »

It would race to the left like a speeding train... perhaps even a little too much, too fast.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 10:26:44 PM »

I don't see them changing policy proposals much at all. They will become a Trump-opposition party because his endless flaws and weaknesses make him an exceptionally attractive target. 4 years of Trump doing and saying things like he has this past year will be hell on Earth for Republicans, especially when any sort of recession hits and when Trump supporters begin to realize he can't fix anything.

It's easy to run as a candidate and point to problems and say you can fix it all, but when you're in office, you are actually expected to do things and when bad things happen, voters will hold him accountable, just like they have with previous presidents. Unfortunately for him, most of America doesn't like him and he can't charm his way out of the blame.

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 05:38:52 AM »
« Edited: September 20, 2016, 07:52:42 AM by Spicy Purrito »

I don't see them changing policy proposals much at all. They will become a Trump-opposition party because his endless flaws and weaknesses make him an exceptionally attractive target. 4 years of Trump doing and saying things like he has this past year will be hell on Earth for Republicans, especially when any sort of recession hits and when Trump supporters begin to realize he can't fix anything.

It's easy to run as a candidate and point to problems and say you can fix it all, but when you're in office, you are actually expected to do things and when bad things happen, voters will hold him accountable, just like they have with previous presidents. Unfortunately for him, most of America doesn't like him and he can't charm his way out of the blame.

Wasn't Reagan good at that? But he never fully controlled Congress.
The point is that there will be uncertainty over whether to campaign for independents or whether to campaign for  the base if both parts caused the loss. A 2006-2008 strategy could be a good strategy where you run some libertarian-leaning (pro 2-A) , some socon (pro-life), and even some Big Oil/Coal Dems in 2018 but you try to get everyone to tow the line on a $11 minimal wage, at least the core of Obamacare (no patient dumping or cherry-picking by insurers), Anti-War in Iran/Syria, and Civil Rights/Justice Reform. Maybe try to get a consensus on immigration or stem-cell research if Trump pushes to the right and upends it. And run someone from the base in 2020.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 09:57:37 AM »

Wasn't Reagan good at that? But he never fully controlled Congress.

By 2018-2020, that will have been over a 10-12 years ago, depending on which election we're talking about. The party itself and the voters it is comprised of has changed and there are limits to what Democrats can really campaign on and where. Yes, Democrats can try to make inroads in more moderate/conservative regions by picking and choosing certain positions like that, but I don't think we'll see as large of a crowd as we did back then, mainly because of the way the parties/electorate has changed since. The growth of Millennials means the party itself as a whole is / has been shifting left.

As for Reagan - you mean do nothing and take no blame? Reagan was well-liked and he was a natural charmer. Trump and Reagan are nothing alike in this regard. Reagan/Republicans also controlled the Senate for most of his presidency, and he had a cooperative House chalk full of blue dogs/conservative Democrats.. and that was on top of a time in American politics where Congress wasn't completely polarized and hostile like it is now. You can thank Gingrich and Republicans for that.
uti2

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 10:15:44 AM »

I'd imagine there'd be a shift away from the Democratic Party that fought for Liberal ideas, and into an Anti-Trump Party for a short period. In a way I could see if become more of a safe haven for Republican refugees who don't like Trump.

Talks would be more focused on what Trump's been doing poorly, less about the ways they plan to fix it, and they'd pick more moderate candidates to draw more republicans into voting booths. With Trump in office, they don't have to worry too much about securing the democrat vote.

If the 'moderate republican outreach' strategy failed this year in the first place, why would they bother to continue with it, esp. when those guys don't vote reliably for the dems downballot?

It's more likely that they would minimize identity politics, and become a more focused economically left party taking more of Bernie's ideas, which ironically would boost their prospects electorally, esp. at the local levels. Even if the Dems win this year, you will start to see a slow shift in that direction, if they lose, it will be a fast shift, similar to what happened to the GOP between 2008 and 2010.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 12:04:36 PM »

If the 'moderate republican outreach' strategy failed this year in the first place, why would they bother to continue with it, esp. when those guys don't vote reliably for the dems downballot?

It's more likely that they would minimize identity politics, and become a more focused economically left party taking more of Bernie's ideas, which ironically would boost their prospects electorally, esp. at the local levels. Even if the Dems win this year, you will start to see a slow shift in that direction, if they lose, it will be a fast shift, similar to what happened to the GOP between 2008 and 2010.

Basically, you see being thrown in the wilderness from near absolute power as what cause the GOP to evolve from a pro-business religious party into a right-wing populist party. You think if the same happens to the Democrats that they will have a similar transformation from a party of modernity to a party of left-wing populism? (by populism, I mean where no one really talks about guns or religion or even economic orthodoxy but it is always in the background and racial issues and industrial policies go front and center)

A lot of people think that seeking compromise might be a response the same way Democrats did in the 80s. After a moderate D incumbent got slaughtered, they ran a liberal in 1984 and 1988 and got slaughtered both times but at least they won back the Senate. However, it took someone willing to triangulate to win after three terms.

It might not work now because I don't think any of those voters that put Bill over the top are ever going to come home again. A Joe Machin or Mark Pryor or even a Bob Casey would just assure that the base "forgets to vote" and Bubba will vote for the "real thing" instead.  Running a socon might actually cause some suburbanites in Denver or Arlington to vote Republican.

So "caving" might not work.

The alternative would be Left-Trumpism but I don't think there are enough crazy Democrats...yet.. that would tolerate that and that sort of thing might not even be something the Democrats can put up there based on who they can get. (That sort of person might not exist as a successful candidate or D primary voters won't ever go for it.) I am guessing this is just as likely as pushing to the center.

My guess is that Ds will steadily drift to the left and stay unpopular until Trump (or Pence, very much doubt it would take that long) causes us to lose a major war or gives us UE levels that are 11%+ and they just talk when people are ready to listen.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 12:53:33 PM »

I think a moderate Democrat is going to have a hard time winning the primary in 2020 if Trump wins. Sanders supporters will be angry at Clinton and the Dem leadership for blowing the election. They would lower the tone down on identity politics and move to the left on economics.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 05:38:12 PM »

If a number of Obama states in the Midwest (OH, IA, PA etc.) flip to Trump, will the Democratic Party do anything to stop hemorrhaging working class white voters to the GOP?
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2016, 06:56:40 PM »

Move far left, become the triggly puff/ blm party that will face of with what will become the breitbart party
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2016, 07:11:37 PM »

Move far left, become the triggly puff/ blm party that will face of with what will become the breitbart party

You're quite the optimist.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2016, 07:14:04 PM »

The young left seems to be occupied by sjws and BLM idiots, the young right is filled with the alt right and hardcore libertarians. The next 20 years of politics will be fun
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 07:18:45 PM »

The young left seems to be occupied by sjws and BLM idiots, the young right is filled with the alt right and hardcore libertarians. The next 20 years of politics will be fun
Libertarians seems more like a young center, really....or are you talking more paleocon?
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2016, 07:20:09 PM »

Libertarians seems more like a young center, really....or are you talking more paleocon?
I use the term libertarian but paleocon is probably more correct to describe the rand/cruz bots I know
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2016, 07:58:23 PM »
« Edited: September 20, 2016, 08:00:40 PM by Spicy Purrito »

I use the term libertarian but paleocon is probably more correct to describe the rand/cruz bots I know

How do you think the map will look like in the future if both these sides take over?

What major things get pushed through? Will this create a clear Incumbent party/Insurgent party or a 50/50 country?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2016, 09:44:23 PM »

If a number of Obama states in the Midwest (OH, IA, PA etc.) flip to Trump, will the Democratic Party do anything to stop hemorrhaging working class white voters to the GOP?
No, because people like Joe Sestak and Jack Markell, with legitimate appeal to working class whites, keep being ganged up on or kept out of major league politics. Joe Sestak would be a good nominee if Bob Casey retires and Wolf runs for Senate or if Wolf doesn't run for Senate. If Joe Sestak, Jack Markell, or someone similar pulls out the nomination, they should easily beat Trump.

I think a moderate Democrat is going to have a hard time winning the primary in 2020 if Trump wins. Sanders supporters will be angry at Clinton and the Dem leadership for blowing the election. They would lower the tone down on identity politics and move to the left on economics.
What moderate Democrats are there? Evan Bayh, Henry Cuellar, Gwen Graham, Ralph Northam, and maybe Gavin Newsom are the only ones I could see maybe running for President.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2016, 05:21:37 PM »

Even Republicans are now assuming we can't just back to the center. The likes of Michael Barone are hoping that's the parh to a permanent Republican majority but we can always run an Anti Trump midterm and can always find a way to change the party to counter the way Trump has changed his.
uti2

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2016, 05:56:19 PM »

Even Republicans are now assuming we can't just back to the center. The likes of Michael Barone are hoping that's the parh to a permanent Republican majority but we can always run an Anti Trump midterm and can always find a way to change the party to counter the way Trump has changed his.

Attacking one person is ridiculous, you need to sell yourself on something, that is what Bernie represents. Same effect Ron Paul had on increasing turnout with the Tea Party movement that followed him, a more progressive proper center-left Dem party would attract higher turnout.

The Dems gained in 2006 and 2008, not simply due to attacking Bush, but by slamming republicans in general on SS, iraq, etc.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2016, 06:51:11 PM »

What moderate Democrats are there? Evan Bayh, Henry Cuellar, Gwen Graham, Ralph Northam, and maybe Gavin Newsom are the only ones I could see maybe running for President.
By moderate, I mean anyone more moderate than Clinton. Gavin Newsom yes, but I would also include Kaine.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2016, 08:49:23 PM »

Attacking one person is ridiculous, you need to sell yourself on something, that is what Bernie represents. Same effect Ron Paul had on increasing turnout with the Tea Party movement that followed him, a more progressive proper center-left Dem party would attract higher turnout.

The Dems gained in 2006 and 2008, not simply due to attacking Bush, but by slamming republicans in general on SS, iraq, etc.

Attacking one person is a start but yeah I agree that something else needs to happen.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2016, 09:27:14 PM »

No, because people like Joe Sestak and Jack Markell, with legitimate appeal to working class whites, keep being ganged up on or kept out of major league politics. Joe Sestak would be a good nominee if Bob Casey retires and Wolf runs for Senate or if Wolf doesn't run for Senate. If Joe Sestak, Jack Markell, or someone similar pulls out the nomination, they should easily beat Trump.

Only one man could salvage the white working class for the Democrats in this scenario--and beat Trump at his own media-synergy game.

BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCE
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2016, 09:47:53 PM »

Only one man could salvage the white working class for the Democrats in this scenario--and beat Trump at his own media-synergy game.

BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCE

Bruce Poliquin would be great on a ticket, if he would defect.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2016, 10:35:39 PM »

I can only hope that they become more progressive and don't nominate people like Hillary or Bill Clinton.

Hillary Clinton is way too liberal . They need people like post 94 bill or webb
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2016, 09:26:44 AM »

I can only hope that they become more progressive and don't nominate people like Hillary or Bill Clinton.

Hillary Clinton is way too liberal . They need people like post 94 bill or webb
Basically a libertarian-leaning "neo-liberal liberal"? I don't really think the Democrats are going to a socon populist though maybe.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies