Shoud you be able to buy your way out of jail time?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 21, 2024, 12:58:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Shoud you be able to buy your way out of jail time?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: Shoud you be able to buy your way out of jail time?  (Read 7920 times)
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 28, 2005, 10:18:55 PM »

I mean, if you were sentenced to a period of time in prison could you pay for, say, $1,000 a day to reduce (or eliminate) your term?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 10:34:40 PM »

of course not. Think of white collar supercriminal CEOs.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 11:24:53 PM »

definitely not.  A rich murderer could walk.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 11:43:10 PM »

no. you could steal from a bank, invest it (maybe off-shore) and use it to get out, most likely with some to spare.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 11:51:20 PM »

Uh, no.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 01:31:41 AM »

Yes, but you need to do like I think Finland does with traffic tickets and the like where the size of the fine is a percentage of your annual income, and it shouldn't apply to crimes of violence as the purpose there is more than just punishment but the protection of society.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 01:32:52 AM »

No. Why was this even asked? I would assume that for this to be asked, someone would have to believe in this cause, but I can't see anybody on these forums agreeing to this injustice.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 01:49:44 AM »

No.  That defeats the point of jail time.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 01:56:08 AM »

Yes, but you need to do like I think Finland does with traffic tickets and the like where the size of the fine is a percentage of your annual income, and it shouldn't apply to crimes of violence as the purpose there is more than just punishment but the protection of society.
Yeah, apparently the record for most expensive speeding ticket goes to a director of Nokia.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 03:32:40 AM »

yes, if you paid restitution.
I don't care about fees.
This was teh system in saxonic England, and it's a shame that those pesky Normans got rid of it.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2005, 07:54:36 AM »

Depends on the nature of your crime. I would definitely say no to murderers, rapists, any other violent criminals, or thieves because their crime did direct harm to another person, and thusly the point of keeping them in jail is to both punish them and prevent them from commiting their crime again. Now, non-violent drug users(who shouldn't be jailed in the first place), corporate crooks, and other non-violent people who aren't dangerous to others would be a possible yes - though the fee should be proportionate to the crime, and the cost should be more than whatever was gained from the crime(if anything) in order to make it some kind of punishment, for instance, say Martha Stewart would have to pay double the money her actions cost investors(half for restitution to her victims, half going to the prison system budget). Also, anyone released like this should be under parole status, of course.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 08:18:13 AM »

No
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2005, 10:00:23 AM »

Depends on the nature of your crime. I would definitely say no to murderers, rapists, any other violent criminals, or thieves because their crime did direct harm to another person, and thusly the point of keeping them in jail is to both punish them and prevent them from commiting their crime again. Now, non-violent drug users(who shouldn't be jailed in the first place), corporate crooks, and other non-violent people who aren't dangerous to others would be a possible yes - though the fee should be proportionate to the crime, and the cost should be more than whatever was gained from the crime(if anything) in order to make it some kind of punishment, for instance, say Martha Stewart would have to pay double the money her actions cost investors(half for restitution to her victims, half going to the prison system budget). Also, anyone released like this should be under parole status, of course.

I agree with that. Victims of fraud for example would probably be happier getting their money back than seeing the perpetrator in jail, as long as the amount of restitution is enough to cover the loss and provide sufficient deterrent to future crimes. This would also be less expensive to the state than imprisonment.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2005, 10:47:43 AM »

No.  You do the crime, you do the time.  Otherwise, the laws become meaningless.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2005, 11:49:50 AM »

No. This system would favor the rich.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2005, 11:52:57 AM »

No

Dave
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2005, 12:22:00 PM »

For what? Murder? No. If you beat someone up, and the other guy is willing to take cash and not hold it against you, that's fine.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2005, 04:21:25 PM »

I agree with that. Victims of fraud for example would probably be happier getting their money back than seeing the perpetrator in jail, as long as the amount of restitution is enough to cover the loss and provide sufficient deterrent to future crimes. This would also be less expensive to the state than imprisonment.

That's actually a good point, although there might also be victims of fraud who would be much happier seeing the guy do jail time than getting their money back.  Maybe we could leave it up to the victim?  It seems like it isn't exactly justice to just give the victim back his money with compensation if the victim doesn't even care about it.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2005, 04:24:42 PM »

Maybe we could leave it up to the victim?
That would undermine the whole basis of the criminal justice system. Settlements are appropriate in civil cases, as a tort is deemed to harm just the defendant. However, a crime is an offense not only against the victim, but also an offense against society, against the People. Thus, victims should not be able to determine the sentences of criminals.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2005, 04:24:55 PM »

That's actually a good point, although there might also be victims of fraud who would be much happier seeing the guy do jail time than getting their money back.  Maybe we could leave it up to the victim?  It seems like it isn't exactly justice to just give the victim back his money with compensation if the victim doesn't even care about it.
How about crimes that don't have victims?
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2005, 04:26:11 PM »
« Edited: June 29, 2005, 04:51:53 PM by Bono »

However, a crime is an offense not only against the victim, but also an offense against society, against the People.
I'd like to see a philosophical justification of that.
How is it an offense against me that some guy in teh otehr end of the country pickpockets someone.
And don't use hipotheticals, as they are worthless.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2005, 04:58:41 PM »

I'd like to see a philosophical justification of that.
How is it an offense against me that some guy in teh otehr end of the country pickpockets someone.
And don't use hipotheticals, as they are worthless.
It is not a philosophical argument, but an assumption of the law. The entity in which ultimate sovereignty and power is vested is the one against whom the crime is committed. Under the common law, for instance, a crime is an offense against The Crown, the ultimate repository of power. Similarly, in the U.S., a crime is assumed to be an offense against the People. The issue is not philosophical, but legal.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2005, 06:08:21 PM »

Maybe we could leave it up to the victim?
That would undermine the whole basis of the criminal justice system. Settlements are appropriate in civil cases, as a tort is deemed to harm just the defendant. However, a crime is an offense not only against the victim, but also an offense against society, against the People. Thus, victims should not be able to determine the sentences of criminals.

Well, I don't personally agree with the notion in the first place that a person should be able to pay money to get out of serving a jail term, but if you ask me, if we do allow someone to do so, it should not occur without the victim's consent.  Personally, I would not exactly like the thought of someone stealing money from me and then getting off by simply paying it back with a little extra.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2005, 06:37:43 PM »

Ted Kennedy did it...
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix