Portugal's politics and elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:51:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Portugal's politics and elections
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 ... 72
Author Topic: Portugal's politics and elections  (Read 256029 times)
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1550 on: October 06, 2019, 12:58:32 PM »

Something interesting I have noticed in previous elections: Small parties tend to perform oddly well in the Algarve. In Faro district in 2015, EVERY SINGLE party that didn't win a seat (and PAN) outperformed their national average, sometimes by quite a bit too. In 2019, most of them were above the national average, albeit by less.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1551 on: October 06, 2019, 01:00:18 PM »

When do polls close? What is turnout typically like?

Polls close at 19:00h in mainland Portugal and Madeira, and close at 20:00h in the Azores. Only by that time, will the networks be allowed to release exit polls.

Turnout is typically around the high 50s in mainland Portugal, but if you add the overseas votes, it drops to the mid 50s. This time, because the electoral law was changed for overseas voters, turnout rates could be low as 50%, because of the high number of registered voters overseas, 1,4 million. Nonetheless, in a few second the turnout rates until mid day will be available.

Wow, that is abysmal. I had no idea a Western European country could have such a low turnout for its main election (aside from Switzerland).

This is because, like I said in posts above, of the automatic registration started in 2009. In 2005, there were 8,7 million voters in Portugal as a whole, but increased to 9,3 million in 2009. Many people that never changed their residence, and that left Portugal, became registered in their home towns, increasing the number of registered voters.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #1552 on: October 06, 2019, 01:00:57 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2019, 01:29:28 PM by Farmlands »

Just came back from the voting booth. Ultimately ended up going for the Left Bloc, based on the party leaders, since I couldn't decide otherwise. Let's see if I can get a close projection:

PS - 38% (S&D)
PSD - 28% (EPP)
BE - 11% (GUE)
CDU - 7% (GUE)
CDS - 5% (EPP)
PAN - 4% (EFA)
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1553 on: October 06, 2019, 01:04:20 PM »

Turnout projections:

RTP: 51-56%

SIC: 48.5-52.5%

CMTV: 52-56%

TVI (only mainland Portugal): 60.6-64.6%

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #1554 on: October 06, 2019, 01:05:13 PM »

Turnout projections:

Is it better of worse?
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1555 on: October 06, 2019, 01:06:53 PM »

Turnout projections:

Is it better of worse?

Worse, but expected.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1556 on: October 06, 2019, 01:14:43 PM »

Polls close at 19:00h in mainland Portugal and Madeira, and close at 20:00h in the Azores. Only by that time, will the networks be allowed to release exit polls.

Turnout is typically around the high 50s in mainland Portugal, but if you add the overseas votes, it drops to the mid 50s. This time, because the electoral law was changed for overseas voters, turnout rates could be low as 50%, because of the high number of registered voters overseas, 1,4 million. Nonetheless, in a few second the turnout rates until mid day will be available.

Wow, that is abysmal. I had no idea a Western European country could have such a low turnout for its main election (aside from Switzerland).

This is because, like I said in posts above, of the automatic registration started in 2009. In 2005, there were 8,7 million voters in Portugal as a whole, but increased to 9,3 million in 2009. Many people that never changed their residence, and that left Portugal, became registered in their home towns, increasing the number of registered voters.

I see. I guess Portugal would be one of the countries in Europe most affected by emigration, so this might artificially depress turnout. Still, even taking that into account, it's still a really low figure. Italy still is in the low 70s despite plenty of emigration.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1557 on: October 06, 2019, 01:18:40 PM »

I see. I guess Portugal would be one of the countries in Europe most affected by emigration, so this might artificially depress turnout. Still, even taking that into account, it's still a really low figure. Italy still is in the low 70s despite plenty of emigration.
The issue is that having 1,4 million voters overseas in a country of 10,3 million is too much. Overseas voting is always very small, so the turnout rate would always decrease a lot. A good idea would be to sent all 1,4 million overseas voters a letter saying it they want to vote or not, if they return it they registered, if they don't sent it back, they're out. At least that my opinion.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #1558 on: October 06, 2019, 01:19:13 PM »

Israel also has a lot of emigration, and voters abroad are registered to vote but aren't allowed to do so from abroad. Turnout is still between 65 and 70 percent.

Why and where are Portuguese emigrating, though? I always had the impression that a lot of Schengen citizens came to Portugal but not so much the other way around, and that a low birthrate was Portugal's main demographic challenge.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #1559 on: October 06, 2019, 01:24:33 PM »

When the exit polls will be out?
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1560 on: October 06, 2019, 01:24:40 PM »

Israel also has a lot of emigration, and voters abroad are registered to vote but aren't allowed to do so from abroad. Turnout is still between 65 and 70 percent.

Why and where are Portuguese emigrating, though? I always had the impression that a lot of Schengen citizens came to Portugal but not so much the other way around, and that a low birthrate was Portugal's main demographic challenge.
Many emigrated during the 1960's, 70's to France, Germany, Switzerland, UK, Canada, USA. In the early 20th century, many emigrated to Brazil, and most recently, during the troika years, to the UK and Germany.

Many emigrants, from the last century, left Portugal because of poverty, bad living conditions and the dictatorship. During the crisis, a lot people, especially young people, left the country in search of better job opportunities.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #1561 on: October 06, 2019, 01:25:42 PM »

Many emigrated during the 1960's, 70's to France, Germany, Switzerland, UK, Canada, USA. In the early 20th century, many emigrated to Brazil, and most recently, during the troika years, to the UK and Germany.

Many emigrants, from the last century, left Portugal because of poverty, bad living conditions and the dictatorship. During the crisis, a lot people, especially young people, left the country in search of better job opportunities.
And don't forget Luxembourg, around 15% of its population is Portuguese.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1562 on: October 06, 2019, 01:25:50 PM »

20:00h, in about 36 minutes.

Social media is already busing with rumored "exit polls".
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1563 on: October 06, 2019, 01:27:07 PM »

Yes, forgot about them. South Africa, Angola and Mozambique also have a lot or Portuguese emmigrants.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #1564 on: October 06, 2019, 01:29:51 PM »

Yeah, the Portuguese are our Mexicans

Better 55% turnout where 60% vote for the left than 75% turnout where 60% vote for fascists though eh? Tongue
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1565 on: October 06, 2019, 01:38:08 PM »

I mean, I take democratic participation seriously enough that even as a leftist this isn't self-evident to me, but point taken.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1566 on: October 06, 2019, 01:45:50 PM »

15 minutes...
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1567 on: October 06, 2019, 01:54:17 PM »

I will have a dinner party tonight, so I won't be able to post results, but here's the election results site:

https://www.legislativas2019.mai.gov.pt/
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1568 on: October 06, 2019, 01:57:45 PM »

Yes, forgot about them. South Africa, Angola and Mozambique also have a lot or Portuguese emmigrants.

...why? Gilded Luxembourg I get. But Angola? Really, Portugal?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #1569 on: October 06, 2019, 02:00:53 PM »

PSPartido Socialista   
38,41%111.442 votos
PPD/PSDPartido Social Democrata   
33,69%97.734 votos
B.E.Bloco de Esquerda   
6,70%19.428 votos
CDS-PPCDS - Partido Popular   
4,92%14.278 votos
PCP-PEVCDU - Coligação Democrática Unitária   
4,45%12.904 votos
PANPESSOAS-ANIMAIS-NATUREZA   
1,72%4.981 votos
CHCHEGA   
0,93%2.704 votos
R.I.R.Reagir Incluir Reciclar   
0,84%2.436 votos
PCTP/MRPPPartido Comunista dos Trabalhadores Portugueses   
0,68%1.963 votos
AAliança   
0,48%1.399 votos
LLIVRE   
0,48%1.391 votos
ILIniciativa Liberal   
0,43%1.238 votos
PNRPartido Nacional Renovador   
0,21%598 votos
NCNós, Cidadãos!   
0,20%583 votos
PDRPartido Democrático Republicano   
0,20%582 votos
PURPPartido Unido dos Reformados e Pensionistas   
0,19%547 votos
PPMPartido Popular Monárquico   
0,18%530 votos
PTPPartido Trabalhista Português   
0,17%490 votos
MPTPartido da Terra   
0,17%479 votos
JPPJuntos pelo Povo   
0,09%255 votos
MASMovimento Alternativa Socialista   
0,02%59 votos
bigic
Serbia and Montenegro

Political Matrix
E: 2.32, S: -7.30

« Reply #1570 on: October 06, 2019, 02:02:14 PM »

Angola was a Portuguese colony.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1571 on: October 06, 2019, 02:02:30 PM »

That's absentee voting, correct?
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #1572 on: October 06, 2019, 02:03:45 PM »

Angola has a booming economy thanks to its oil sector. It's a land of opportunity with the right skills. Mozambique also has a high growth rate.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1573 on: October 06, 2019, 02:03:48 PM »

Angola was a Portuguese colony.

Oh okay.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1574 on: October 06, 2019, 02:05:34 PM »

Exit polls:

SIC

RTP

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 ... 72  
« previous next »