The Poll Averages
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:21:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  The Poll Averages
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Poll Averages  (Read 460 times)
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 14, 2016, 07:07:45 PM »

Looking at the Upshot got me thinking - which of the poll averages do you think are closest to having it right?

538 has been the most bullish on Trump lately, but Nate includes some polls (i.e. all-landline Emerson and way-outdated Dem internals) that seem to be data for the sake of data. I've looked at HuffPost Pollster as well, seems a little less bearish on Clinton than, say RCP.

The two models that hype their correctness are Sam Wang's PEC and Pollyvote, which I discovered for the first time today. Both have shifted in Trump's direction but still strongly predict a Clinton win.

Anyways, what are some of your thoughts? Which averages are the most trustworthy?
Buffalo Bill
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 07:08:24 PM »

She was right where McCain was at in 2008 a week ago.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 07:23:45 PM »

As it was not enough to unskew the polls, Dems started to unskew 538 Cheesy
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 07:35:54 PM »

538 is, contrary to what you may believe, a site I visit multiple times a day. Just seems the various major averages (including RCP and HP) have some pretty wide divergences
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 07:43:06 PM »

I trust RCP and 538. They're both fairly accurate.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 07:43:44 PM »

538 is, contrary to what you may believe, a site I visit multiple times a day. Just seems the various major averages (including RCP and HP) have some pretty wide divergences

I think the main differences are that the 538 models include more uncertainty, and they're also quicker reacting and thereby "noisier" (now-cast more than polls-only, which is in turn more than polls-plus).  Whether this is better than other models such as Upshot is an open question.  Personally I think it's useful to look at models from multiple sources, on the same principle as looking at multiple polls.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 07:44:33 PM »

Huffington Post puts a few assumptions in, I think, and it also keeps more polls as part of the average, so it's slower to move.  It always does seem more Democratic, though.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 07:51:55 PM »
« Edited: September 14, 2016, 07:53:29 PM by Little Big Adorable »

Good!

I look only at 538 and Upshot. I really like how 538 weights and adjusts for trendslines, house effects etc; they often "guess" the results of new polls just by adjusting for trends by nationall polls and polls in states with similar elections. But their overall prediction is too noisy.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 10:58:19 PM »

Good!

I look only at 538 and Upshot. I really like how 538 weights and adjusts for trendslines, house effects etc; they often "guess" the results of new polls just by adjusting for trends by nationall polls and polls in states with similar elections. But their overall prediction is too noisy.

I like the house effect adjustments too. I think the drawback on Upshot is that it's including projections from Cook, Rothenberg and Sabato that may not be entirely numbers based, though I like the idea of an "aggregate of aggregates." RCP and HuffPo are not my favorites because they both strike me as having implicit biases (RCP more R-friendly, HuffPo too D-friendly, particularly with their non-polling related articles)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies