White Privilege
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:27:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  White Privilege
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: White Privilege  (Read 2365 times)
Buffalo Bill
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 14, 2016, 05:29:37 PM »

I've always taken a strong stance against white privilege.  When I look at Chelsea Clinton, I see someone with a high paying job with no qualifications other than her last name.  Then there's her mother who got a pass on treason because of her high status within the ruling class regarding her e-mails that she allowed to go unprotected.  Of course we all know of the Kennedies and their privilege.  Ted Kennedy's opportunities should make those of us in the equal rights movement sick.  We can't forget Matt Damon championing public schools and criticizing Republicans over their stances on education and then throwing a hissy fit like a seven year old girl when his kids aren't accepted by an elite private school.  Jay Rockefeller and Diane Feinstein seem to have done well just by having their last names.  What can the common man do to make things better in America for those of us who don't come from white privilege? Or when Democrats talk about "white privilege" do they really mean something else? 
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 09:08:33 PM »

makes u think
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 09:09:49 PM »

bro, u has of be so progressive. u fite the good fite, bro.
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 12:05:30 AM »

Anyone who actually thinks that white privilege exists is literally stupid. 
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 09:29:11 AM »

You described rich white folks. There's a pretty damn big difference in the privilege of rich white folks and most others.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 09:37:59 AM »

Al had it right on this.

The term refers to an observable social reality but is not in itself helpful or exactly accurate. Amongst other things it frames matters in the wrong way; the issue is not that the majority is 'privileged' but that certain minorities are disadvantaged and that certain others are discriminated against.
Buffalo Bill
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 01:21:54 PM »

Silence from Democrats? Gotta love it!
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 04:05:33 PM »

This is a Democrat:
You described rich white folks. There's a pretty damn big difference in the privilege of rich white folks and most others.
Buffalo Bill
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 04:22:19 PM »

I described the privileges of Ted Kennedy and Chelsea Clinton.  Now we have Kerry's daughter being paid for by our State Department.  Does that describe it for you? Still not much of anything on here about Democrats whining about the 99% of us who haven't been elected to office.  We are the 99%!
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 04:31:29 PM »

Isn't this, if anything, class privilege?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 04:32:41 PM »

White privilege is usually about how rich white people are, so, yeah, white privilege is basically rich privilege.
Buffalo Bill
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 04:39:49 PM »

White privilege is usually about how rich white people are, so, yeah, white privilege is basically rich privilege.

And Democrats change rich to white.  It used to be wealthy was code for Jews and now it's code for whites.  Instead of raising taxes on the whites they're raising taxes on the "wealthy."
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2016, 05:08:19 PM »

And Democrats change rich to white.  It used to be wealthy was code for Jews and now it's code for whites.  Instead of raising taxes on the whites they're raising taxes on the "wealthy."

I feel so sorry for those poor rich white people.
Buffalo Bill
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 06:36:35 PM »

Your take on the politics of it though?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2016, 06:37:43 PM »

I know this might be a shock, but not all white people are the Kennedy family or George Clooney.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2016, 06:48:49 PM »

I accept your sympathy.
Buffalo Bill
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2016, 07:10:36 PM »

I know this might be a shock, but not all white people are the Kennedy family or George Clooney.

Tell that to Clinton's supporters because they need to hear it.  Notice how none of her supporters want to talk about Democrats who benefit from white privilege and if they do they're quick to talk about Bush or Trump or someone in the other party whose come from wealth.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2016, 07:17:30 PM »
« Edited: September 15, 2016, 07:22:30 PM by Spicy Purrito »

And Democrats change rich to white.  It used to be wealthy was code for Jews and now it's code for whites.  Instead of raising taxes on the whites they're raising taxes on the "wealthy."

Tell that to Clinton's supporters because they need to hear it.  Notice how none of her supporters want to talk about Democrats who benefit from white privilege and if they do they're quick to talk about Bush or Trump or someone in the other party whose come from wealth.
I thought about taking this thread seriously but it seems to be a thread about people who vote against their interests complaining about people voting against their interests. And I know that complaning about people voting against their interests gets no one anywhere. So no. This isn't about "reverse racism", this is a circle jerk. Cheesy Right up there with John Kerry sipping champagne telling people how much empathy he has for the poor or JTP talking about how taxes on people over 300K "hurts people".
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2016, 07:26:57 PM »

White Privilege doesn't exist. Class/Income privilege does
Buffalo Bill
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2016, 07:30:27 PM »

And Democrats change rich to white.  It used to be wealthy was code for Jews and now it's code for whites.  Instead of raising taxes on the whites they're raising taxes on the "wealthy."

Tell that to Clinton's supporters because they need to hear it.  Notice how none of her supporters want to talk about Democrats who benefit from white privilege and if they do they're quick to talk about Bush or Trump or someone in the other party whose come from wealth.
I thought about taking this thread seriously but it seems to be a thread about people who vote against their interests complaining about people voting against their interests. And I know that complaning about people voting against their interests gets no one anywhere. So no. This isn't about "reverse racism", this is a circle jerk. Cheesy Right up there with John Kerry sipping champagne telling people how much empathy he has for the poor or JTP talking about how taxes on people over 300K "hurts people".

Exactly what I was looking for.  John Kerry is the epitome of white privilege and higher taxes aren't enough to stop him.  Teaching children how to read would help.
Buffalo Bill
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2016, 07:30:53 PM »

You're right but that's not exactly how Democrats sell it.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2016, 07:49:35 PM »

Exactly what I was looking for.  John Kerry is the epitome of white privilege and higher taxes aren't enough to stop him.  Teaching children how to read would help.
And unless you think we don't need Government, you need need taxes to do things like that. There are also people like that will donate all their estate to charity, leacing only enough to retire and care for the family home to the kids. I don't believe we necessarily need government, I just believe that if we are serious about problems that we need to keep an open mind.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2016, 07:52:03 PM »

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2016, 08:13:45 PM »

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2016, 10:12:38 PM »

I don't know if I would say that it doesn't exist at all, but it is definitely not relevant or useful as a concept. One of the greatest (out of many, many) flaws of modern social justice discourse is to not only fixate on white privilege, but to treat it as the most fundamental form of privilege in modern society. When a rich black guy can talk about how he envies the privilege of white homeless people, something truly absurd is happening.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies