The liberal Republic
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:44:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The liberal Republic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35
Author Topic: The liberal Republic  (Read 107910 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #725 on: March 08, 2022, 02:28:14 PM »

August 1, 1981: President Brown pocket vetoes arms embargo bills

“Two bills passed by congress presented to the president were not signed into law”, a White House statement reads, “President Brown does not believe overturning arms embargos imposed by his administration contribute to solve ongoing conflicts peacefully or are in the national interests of the United States.” As expected, President Brown vetoed two bipartisan bills aiming to overrule his decision to stop arms deliveries to Afghanistan and Iraq. The administration didn’t change his stance after war broke out between Iran and Iraq. A spokesman for the president again underlined the positions these shipments were unnecessary and run a high risk of “getting in the wrong hands.”

As congress went on its regular summer recess, the president’s vetoes could not immediately be overturned. Ironically, Republicans were insisting on an early summer recess to buy additional time for negotiating on Brown’s proposed economic relief program. An attempt to delay the recess failed in last minute negotiations with Majority Leader Byrd and Speaker O’Neill. Proponents of the legislation already announced to re-introduce the bills. Meanwhile, insiders report that Vice President Frank Church wants to use the time flipping a group of lawmakers so that Brown’s veto would sustain.

August 3, 1981: Air Traffic controllers go on strike, causing air traffic disruption, Brown Administration urges further negotiations

The Professional Air Traffic Controllers (PATCO) voted in favor of a strike after months of negotiations for higher wages and paid vacation failed. Citing safety concerns, PATCO called for a reduced 32-hour work week, a $10,000 pay increase for all air-traffic controllers and a better benefits package for retirement. On August 3, the union formally announced a strike, severely disrupting air traffic in the United States.

Secretary of Labor Hugo Chavez has publicly backed PATCO’s demands as recently as July and offered to negotiate with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). However, the FAA’s superior is the Department of Transportation, headed by Republican William Ruckelshaus. His department and the FAA Director offered a pay increase of $5,000 and a 37-hour week, which was rejected. During a cabinet meeting in late July, President Jerry Brown formally backed Ruckelshaus’ position over his personal friend Chavez, surprising many observers. Brown, aiming to reduce the federal deficit, cited budget reasons for his order.

After formal announcement of the strike, the President Brown just gave a brief statement, urging a return to the negotiating table. Congressional Republicans and governors of both parties quickly slammed the president. “This is a major crisis, and where is the president?”, Republican House leader Michel asked. Sources from within 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue say Brown is pressured from all sides to either back the demands – likely causing the resignation of Ruckelshaus – or stand firm and ultimately threaten to fire air controllers refusing to return to work.

Mid-August: PATCO defies court order to return to work, Brown refuses to fire workers

A number of informal talks went on, while air traffic in the United States continues to be disrupted, with over a third of flights cancelled and the FAA trying to return retirees for the duration of the strike. On August 14, a federal court ordered an end to the strike and explicitly cited the Taft-Hartley-Act, allowing the president to fire workers defying orders to return.

Although pressure from congress, especially Republicans, mounted, President Jerry Brown on August 15 formally rejected calls to fire any FAA employees. “I don’t believe this is a probable way of dealing with such difficulty and certainly not a form to express any appreciation to working people. While I’m in close consultation with Secretary Ruckelshaus to make a new offer, I urge an end to the strike. We will be able to resolve this”, he stated.

However, pressure from congress, the press and business increased and on August 16, Attorney General Ramsey Clark – at Brown’s direction – announced that the Justice Department would seek to fine workers defying the court order. The president continued to refuse using provisions of the Taft-Hartley-Act, a legislation he has initially proposed to overturn or modify. Just days later, the Justice Department was filing the first lawsuits.

August 31, 1981: New Gallup poll

Eight months into office, President Jerry Brown's approval rating is negative for the first time in his term. Especially ongoing economic difficulties and the air controllers' strike lately hurt his public standing.

President Brown Job Approval
Approve: 47% ▼
Disapprove: 48% ▲

September 5, 1981: Air Traffic Controls accept offer, strike ends, President Brown demands repeal of Taft-Hartley Act

After a month of strike and ongoing negotiations and direct involvement from Secretary of Transportation William Ruckelshaus, PATCO and FAA finally agreed on new working conditions for employees: A 37-hour work week, pay increase of $5,000 starting on January 1, 1982, and another increase of 2,500 by January 1, 1983. With the agreement, the strike formally ended.

Experts estimate that the strike cost several hundred billions of dollars to the US economy. On September 6, President Jerry Brown officially demanded a repeal of the 1947 Taft-Hartley-Act, a proposal he has initially made during the Democratic primaries in 1980, but not repeated so far. “How we resolved this strike shows that this bill is not needed”, the president said. However, journalists wrote that a repeal was unlikely in this congress.

Mid-September: Economy officially in recession, pressuring congress to pass economic relief program

Although the strike of air controllers formally ended, it had a severe impact on the already struggling American economy. Data from August and September showed a decline of 0.5% of the GDP, while the unemployment rate remained at nearly 9%, a number not reached since 1941 and even exceeding the brief downturn of the mid-1970s during Nelson Rockefeller’s first term.

The new data increases pressure on the senate to finally pass a version of the Brown Administration’s economic relief program. On September 22, Majority Leader Robert Byrd announced that negotiations continued over the summer recess and that the senate – now back in session – would finally vote on a bill in early October. During a public event, Vice President Frank Church stated the White House was working hard to ensure legislation would finally reach President Brown’s desk by late October. Nonetheless, a number of economists and political observers criticized the administration and congressional leaders of both parties for the long process.

September 25, 1981: President Brown orders release of 20% oil reserves to combat inflation, says “economic turnaround is around the corner”

On September 25, President Jerry Brown surprisingly announced the release of 20% of oil reserves to meet increased oil demands in the aftermath of PATCO’s strike, as air traffic was strongly rebounding. Although inflation has shown first signs of decline over the month, Brown said his decision aims to “speed up the turnaround”. The president also again called upon congress to pass his economic relief program. “Economic turnaround for 1982 and 1983 is around the corner. If we act now.”

Sources from within the White House claim the president’s advisers recommended him to take more bold actions in public following a sharp decline in approval ratings.

September 30, 1981: New Gallup poll

Approve: 46% ▼
Disapprove: 49% ▲
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #726 on: March 08, 2022, 03:57:17 PM »

President Johnson
President Johnson
YaBB God

★★★★★

Grade President Brown’s Presidency so far
« on: October 1, 1981 8:47:11 pm »

I’d give him a solid B so far as I am supportive of his agenda on domestic policy and I hope he succeeds in repealing Taft-Hartley which is terrible law . I am also supportive of his stimulus plan and hope that some sort of deal passes and currently I’m happy that Reagan didn’t win as we are seeing how badly Thatcherism so far is failing in the UK and we don’t need the leading economic power on earth to go down the same route . Hopefully Labour and The Alliance Party work together in 1983 to bring a Brown style government to the UK

On foreign affairs I like that he is trying to reduce tensions with adversaries and think that’s the right approach to go . I do not agree with the Eisenhower era approach of arming rebels  just cause they are anti communist and it’s good to see President Brown not go down that approach

New School Republican
Computer69
YaBB God

★★★★★

« on: October 1, 1981 08:49:23 pm »

I’d give it a D as his foreign policy so far has been way too passive against the communists and I hope congress overrides his decision to block arms to anti communist rebels . His economic stimulus plan also doesn't go anywhere near as far enough and there needs to be major tax cuts all across the board for us to get out of this crises . Inflation was caused by a supply crises and supply side economics are the perfect antidote to get us out of this mess .

People should watch Milton Friedman’s free to choose series as it’s a great one and it explains why we are in the crises we are . Kemp 1984!!!!!
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #727 on: March 08, 2022, 04:00:51 PM »

President Johnson
President Johnson
YaBB God

★★★★★

I’d give him a solid B so far as I am supportive of his agenda on domestic policy and I hope he succeeds in repealing Taft-Hartley which is terrible law . I am also supportive of his stimulus plan and hope that some sort of deal passes and currently I’m happy that Reagan didn’t win as we are seeing how badly Thatcherism so far is failing in the UK and we don’t need the leading economic power on earth to go down the same route . Hopefully Labour and The Alliance Party work together in 1983 to bring a Brown style government to the UK

On foreign affairs I like that he is trying to reduce tensions with adversaries and think that’s the right approach to go . I do not agree with the Eisenhower era approach of arming rebels  just cause they are anti communist and it’s good to see President Brown not go down that approach

New School Republican
Computer69
YaBB God

★★★★★

I’d give it a D as his foreign policy so far has been way too passive against the communists and I hope congress overrides his decision to block arms to anti communist rebels . His economic stimulus plan also doesn't go anywhere near as far enough and there needs to be major tax cuts all across the board for us to get out of this crises . Inflation was caused by a supply crises and supply side economics are the perfect antidote to get us out of this mess .

People should watch Milton Friedman’s free to choose series as it’s a great one and it explains why we are in the crises we are . Kemp 1984!!!!!

Lmao, this actually reads pretty realistic. Good work!
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #728 on: March 08, 2022, 04:07:25 PM »

President Johnson
President Johnson
YaBB God

★★★★★

New School Republican
Computer69
YaBB God

★★★★★

Lmao, this actually reads pretty realistic. Good work!

Thanks , it would actually be interesting to see how many posters would be of the opposite party here . Fuzzy for sure would be a dem (though he was in IRL at this point too and said he liked Rockefeller  ) and S019 would probably be a Republican though he probably would have supported Brown over Reagan .

hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #729 on: March 08, 2022, 04:26:02 PM »

Really enjoying this, including the Brown administration so far. Between the economic plan, getting the first female SCOTUS approved, and a stronger focus on events at home, I look forward to see how the 80's evolve, and see what a liberal 1980s would've looked like. Dare I dream - universal healthcare? Maybe the early investment in infrastructure will prevent the early urban collapse in OTL, and encourage high speed rail, and earlier urban renewal? Maybe an earlier tech boom? Maybe free trade agreements, like an earlier NAFTA?

In OTL, the Canada-US free trade agreement was in 1988, which became NAFTA in 1994. I don't know much about 1980s economics, but outsourcing was already become prevalent by the 1980s OTL. The repeal of the Taft-Hartley Act would certainly play into that. The 1980s were also when China was starting to institute some reforms after they started opening up in 1979 (although those reforms came to a halt in 1989 during the Tiananmen Square protests and massacre).

Interestingly, without having Reagan in office, the US wouldn't have likely signed the 1985 Plaza Accord - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plaza_Accord - in that, the US dollar was weakened so it could be more competitive with the French franc, German marc, and the Japanese yen - this agreement caused a sugar rush to the Japanese economy, which then led to the lost decade of the 1990s. Without that, the US dollar likely remains strong throughout the decade, especially if more companies stay in the US. Japan stays competitive as a manufacturing hub (possibly to the detriment of China).

Also, assuming nothing has changed from OTL, then Portugal and Spain have transitioned to democracy by this point. We'll see how the butterflies of this timeline have affected Europe, the Cold War, the state of communism, all that fun stuff. Looking forward to it all!
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #730 on: March 08, 2022, 06:40:13 PM »

Percy 1984
theflyingmongoose

★★★★

« on: October 1, 1981 8:49:10 pm »

I agree with NSR that Brown's presidency has been a let down. His domestic policy has been pretty bad and flip-floppy. The whole ATC/FAA debacle was the biggest part, but maybe my dislike of labor unions is getting in the way (though I don't see how $5,000 more on between $20,000 and $30,000 isn't enough). Foreign policy has been worse, as we've been bowing to the Soviets.

We need to elect a moderate anti-tax elitist in 1984 at this point.

ERM64man
ERM64man
YaBB God

★★★★★

« on: October 1, 1981 8:50:19 pm »

This will lead to a Republican pickup of at least 100 seats in 1982 in the House. Reagan will then appoint Bork to SCOTUS and it will eventually vote 9-0 to repeal the Civil Rights Act!

MR RONALD RAYGUN
olawakandi
Atlas Institution

★★★★★

« on: October 1, 1981 8:52:37 pm »

lol ERM s dooming. Dems under MR JERRYALD BROWN will win, its 600 days until election, still time for SECULAR WAVE  🌊 🌊 🌊 🌊 🌊 🌊 🌊 🌊 🌊 🌊

theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #731 on: March 09, 2022, 01:38:21 AM »

Really enjoying this, including the Brown administration so far. Between the economic plan, getting the first female SCOTUS approved, and a stronger focus on events at home, I look forward to see how the 80's evolve, and see what a liberal 1980s would've looked like. Dare I dream - universal healthcare? Maybe the early investment in infrastructure will prevent the early urban collapse in OTL, and encourage high speed rail, and earlier urban renewal? Maybe an earlier tech boom? Maybe free trade agreements, like an earlier NAFTA?

In OTL, the Canada-US free trade agreement was in 1988, which became NAFTA in 1994. I don't know much about 1980s economics, but outsourcing was already become prevalent by the 1980s OTL. The repeal of the Taft-Hartley Act would certainly play into that. The 1980s were also when China was starting to institute some reforms after they started opening up in 1979 (although those reforms came to a halt in 1989 during the Tiananmen Square protests and massacre).

Interestingly, without having Reagan in office, the US wouldn't have likely signed the 1985 Plaza Accord - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plaza_Accord - in that, the US dollar was weakened so it could be more competitive with the French franc, German marc, and the Japanese yen - this agreement caused a sugar rush to the Japanese economy, which then led to the lost decade of the 1990s. Without that, the US dollar likely remains strong throughout the decade, especially if more companies stay in the US. Japan stays competitive as a manufacturing hub (possibly to the detriment of China).

Also, assuming nothing has changed from OTL, then Portugal and Spain have transitioned to democracy by this point. We'll see how the butterflies of this timeline have affected Europe, the Cold War, the state of communism, all that fun stuff. Looking forward to it all!

NAFTA without Mexico would give Free Trade a much better rep, and give us room for the TPP later on.
hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #732 on: March 09, 2022, 05:26:19 PM »

NAFTA without Mexico would give Free Trade a much better rep, and give us room for the TPP later on.

Mexico's economy was doing poorly in the 1980s, partly due to the high oil prices. NAFTA without Mexico, plus Australia, NZ, Japan, and the EEC (predecessor to EU), would certainly make a strong trade bloc. And given the Soviet Union's presence from Eastern Europe to near Alaska, politicians would still have a global perspective. That's as opposed to OTL 1990s, when there was so much attention on Europe, from the fall of the Berlin Wall to the Yugoslav Wars. And if the US has stronger ties to the East and the West, then China might not grow so quickly, and instead the Asian Tigers secure their place as industry hubs.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #733 on: March 15, 2022, 01:26:37 AM »

Percy 1984
theflyingmongoose

★★★★

I agree with NSR that Brown's presidency has been a let down. His domestic policy has been pretty bad and flip-floppy. The whole ATC/FAA debacle was the biggest part, but maybe my dislike of labor unions is getting in the way (though I don't see how $5,000 more on between $20,000 and $30,000 isn't enough). Foreign policy has been worse, as we've been bowing to the Soviets.

ERM64man
ERM64man
YaBB God

★★★★★

This will lead to a Republican pickup of at least 100 seats in 1982 in the House. Reagan will then appoint Bork to SCOTUS and it will eventually vote 9-0 to repeal the Civil Rights Act!

MR RONALD RAYGUN
olawakandi
Atlas Institution

★★★★★

lol ERM s dooming. Dems under MR JERRYALD BROWN will win, its 600 days until election, still time for SECULAR WAVE  🌊 🌊 🌊 🌊 🌊 🌊 🌊 🌊 🌊 🌊

Fake posts aren't complete without OC
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #734 on: March 15, 2022, 09:51:50 AM »

Percy 1984
theflyingmongoose

★★★★

ERM64man
ERM64man
YaBB God

★★★★★

MR RONALD RAYGUN
olawakandi
Atlas Institution

★★★★★

lol ERM s dooming. Dems under MR JERRYALD BROWN will win, its 600 days until election, still time for SECULAR WAVE  🌊 🌊 🌊 🌊 🌊 🌊 🌊 🌊 🌊 🌊

Fake posts aren't complete without OC

Here's more:

MR. MAYOR TOM BRADLEY
olawakandi
Atlas legend
★★★★★

Grade President Brown's Presidency so far
« Reply #13 on: October 1, 1981, 01:35:39 pm »

Who cares, theres over 1000 days to next prez election. Computer was Raygun hack and lost MO due to Kit Bond corruption. PREZ NROWN passed Freedom Information Act and stimulus is underway, his approvals are going up and R nut maps will be obsolete anyways. Last time Rs won was with Rockefeller, whom died in office and Ford dropped out. Consequently, theyre powerless despite MT Treasurer saying House is Safe R.

Blue Wave🌊 🌊 is building up for midterms and Mr. TOM BRADLEY will be socialist AA gov in Hispanic state. CA is done with Raygun anyways whom lost to Prez Brown when Computer69 had R authoritarian nut map winning. Rs were overpredicting and lost by 200 votes haha 😆😆

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #735 on: March 15, 2022, 02:23:07 PM »

October 2, 1981: Secretary of State Shriver starts new initiative to resolve Iran-Iraq War, Brezhnev agrees to peace plan

With the Iran-Iraq war going on in a stalemate, Secretary of State Sargent Shriver announced a new peace initiative after visits to Egypt, Israel and Turkey. In Cairo, he also met with a Soviet delegation to discuss the situation in the Middle East and Afghanistan. America’s chief diplomat announced a summit in Rome is scheduled for January with Iranian, Iraqi, Soviet and Egyptian representatives to resolve tensions. Moscow backing the effort came as a major surprise after US-Soviet relations deteriorated after the invasion of Afghanistan. However, General Secretary Leonid Brezhnev formally backed Shriver’s peace plan to call for a cease fire and again confirmed to use his diplomatic influence in Teheran.

According to reporters joining Shriver’s delegation, the secretary also discussed Afghanistan with the Soviet delegation. Not many details were revealed, though Shriver reaffirmed the Brown Administration’s policies towards offering the USSR a new round of disarmament talks for an end of the Soviet invasion.

October 6, 1981: President Brown sends US Special Forces to help restore order in Egypt after murder of President Sadat

During a victory parade was held in Cairo, Egyptian President Anwar Sadat was assassinated by members of the Egyptian Islamic Jihad. Since taking office a decade earlier, Sadat has sought closer relations with the US. He famously signed the Camp David Accords with Israel, which were initiated by the Rockefeller Administration. Sadat later was hosted for an official state visit by President Gerald Ford, where the two leaders signed a memorandum for closer cooperation between their two countries.

In conjunction with the assassination, an insurrection was organized in Asyut in Upper Egypt. Rebels took control of the city for a few days, and 68 policemen and soldiers were killed in the fighting. After closely monitoring the situation from Washington, President Jerry Brown ordered a group of US Special Forces to assist Egyptian troops to restore peace and order right after a meeting of the National Security Council. The operation was quickly conducted within 48 hours by American forces stationed in Greece and involved about 200 men. No casualties were reported, only seven were wounded and flown to a military hospital in West Germany.

So far, this was the largest military operation by the United States ordered by President Jerry Brown since taking office.

On behalf of the United States, Vice President Frank Church, Defense Secretary Edmund Muskie and former President Gerald Ford (in his first major appearance since leaving office) attended Sadat’s funeral.

October 9, 1981: Speaker O’Neill surprisingly backs Administration's arms embargo on Iraq, Afghanistan; Brown policy to sustain

A dramatic turn on the question of the administration’s arms embargo to Afghanistan and Iraq: Speaker Tip O’Neill came out in opposition to a second attempt to override the president’s veto on legislation that seeks to overturn the embargo imposed soon after his inauguration. “With Secretary Shriver renewed efforts to seek diplomatic solution to ongoing conflicts, I don’t believe additional arms would make any good”, a statement by the Massachusetts politician reads. It is rumored that Vice President Frank Church had a lengthy conversation with the speaker, seeking his support for Brown’s policies. Sources familiar with Church’s office claim the vice president succeeded in convincing O’Neill.

With O’Neill coming out against another attempt to pass the two bills introduced before the summer recess, it effort is dead for the moment. While Republican leaders issued statements criticizing O’Neill, Democratic Senate Majority Leader Robert Byrd, who earlier backed the effort, remained vague when asked for a statement. “I’m in close consultations with all involved actors and I’m confident, there will be a solution at the proper time”, Byrd told a journalist.

October 22, 1981: Senate passes and President Brown signs Economic Relief and Reform Act into law

After months of intense negotiations, the senate has finally passed its own version of the Economic Relief and Reform Act of 1981, which was a cornerstone of President Jerry Brown’s economic relief program after more than a year of economic hardship. Nearly 80 amendments were offered from numerous members, and well over two dozens were enacted into the final piece of legislation. However, it’s a significantly reduced version of the program that Brown presented to congress in his first speech before a joint session back in spring.

The bill includes:

- Phased-in 12% cut in individual tax rates over two years for any individual not in the top range; top rate increase from 70% to 72%
- 320 Billion Dollars in public infrastructure programs
- Accelerated depreciation deductions, with a special program for small businesses

A major item the administration and liberal Democrats, such as Senator Mario Cuomo (D-NY), demanded, an increase of the minimum wage, was not agreed to. Several liberal Democrats publically expressed their disappointment, but a majority still voted for the bill. Sources familiar with the negotiations say Republican senate Whip John Tower offered the administration a minimum wage raise in exchange for dropping the increase of the top tax rate, which President Brown rejected for deficit concerns. The president also objected to Republican proposals to lower the corporate tax, which Hatfield was ultimately forced to drop.

However, a White House spokesman confirmed that an increase of the minimum wage was not off the table for future negotiations. During an interview, Labor Secretary Hugo Chavez said the Brown Administration was working with its congressional allies on legislation for a major overhaul of labor laws, including a repeal of the Taft-Hartley-Act, which the president already called for.

The final version of law passed the senate on October 17 with 64 votes in favor and 33 against. This came a day after Brown, Church, Byrd, Hatfield and Tower announced a breakthrough following a five-hour meeting at the White House. The House of Representatives finally approved the bill on October 20, where it received 275 votes, several more than the previous version. On October 22, President Jerry Brown formally signed the bill into law during a ceremony in the Oval Office.

Over the next days, the stock market increased by over 20%.

October 31, 1981: New Gallup poll

Approve: 50% ▲
Disapprove: 45% ▼
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #736 on: March 18, 2022, 02:09:09 PM »

November 3, 1981: Democrat Chuck Robb wins Virginia governorship

Democrats gained a gubernatorial seat: Democrat Chuck Robb, outgoing lieutenant governor and son-in-law of former President Lyndon Johnson, was elected governor of the Commonwealth of Virginia: He defeated Republican Marshall Coleman 51.3%-48.1% after a hotly contested campaign.

This is the second Virginia gubernatorial election in a row in which the president’s party successfully won the seat. In 1977, Republican John Dalton was elected governor during the presidency of fellow Republican Nelson Rockefeller.

November 9, 1981: Constitutional Amendment for direct popular vote presidential election fails in House

A constitutional amendment proposed by a group for Republican congressmen to elect the president by direct popular vote failed in the House, just winning 115 votes. A majority of these (89) were Republicans. Following Ronald Reagan’s loss in the 1980 presidential election despite winning a plurality of the national vote caused several Republicans demanding a constitutional amendment for a popular vote election, abolishing the Electoral College. Leading proponent of this reform proposal was Georgia congressman Newt Gingrich.

In the aftermath, Gingrich and his supporters indicated to back an alternative proposal, granting the winner of the national popular vote an extra 50 electoral votes. This proposal is expected gain wider support and Reagan himself spoke in favor of it. However, it is unclear whether Reagan would actually campaign for the amendment. Following his loss, he has limited his public appearances to few occasions.

November 10, 1981: President Brown backs additional Electoral Votes proposal, vote scheduled for Q1 1982

Over recent months, President Jerry Brown remained vague on his stances about constitutional amendments to ensure the popular vote winner is elected president. However, the day after the Gingrich-proposal failed in the House, the president spoke highly of an alternate suggestions to award the winner of the national vote 50 additional electoral votes. “A few questions remain open how that exactly works”, the president told a reporter, “however, if properly administered, I would strongly towards backing this one. So, yes, I think this is a good idea and I would recommend voting for it.”

According to sources from within the Capitol, Speaker Tip O’Neill plans to hold a vote in the first months of 1982 as a working group of lawmakers currently works on the text. Numerous news outlets report that the proposal is supported by a majority of Democratic and Republican members.

November 16, 1981: Supreme Court reaffirms death penalty moratorium, President Brown commutes all federal death sentences

In a 5-4 decision, the US Supreme Court in Georgia v. Clark reaffirmed the national moratorium on the death penalty that was first imposed after the Furman v. Georgia ruling in 1972. A number of states seeking to reinstate capital punishment filed various lawsuits to overturn the decision. Under the Rockefeller and Ford Administrations, the Justice Department pursued a neutral policy, neither defending nor challenging the ruling of 1972.

After taking office, Jerry Brown signed a presidential memorandum in February 1981 instructing the Justice Department under Attorney General Ramsey Clark to argue in favor of keeping the moratorium in place. With the liberal majority on the bench, the Supreme Court finally sides with the Brown Administration. However, it did not rule that capital punishment was per se unconstitutional, only the current laws on the books. The court called upon congress to pass legislation to regulate or abolish the death penalty. The majority opinion was written by newly appointed. Thurgood Marshall, Louis Lefkowitz, Arthur Goldberg and William Brennan sides with her.

Just hours after the court decision was announced, President Jerry Brown signed a proclamation that formally commuted all remaining federal death sentences to life imprisonment. Brown has already been a skeptic of capital punishment while governor, a policy that his Republican successor Mike Curb sought to overturn. The president already considered such a commutation after taking office, but his advisors urged him to wait for the Supreme Court to clarify first.

Furthermore, the White House announced that President Brown would call for federal legislation to ban capital punishment in his annual crime message to congress.

Late November: Increasing number of liberal Democrats express unease with economic relief package

Although the Brown Administration finally secured passage for an economic relief and tax reform package, a growing number of liberal Democrats in congress voiced their dissatisfaction. In a written essay in the New York Times, Senator Elizabeth Holtzman (D-NY) called upon congress to pass a raise of the minimum wage, a bigger infrastructure program, farmer’s relief programs and a higher top-tax rate. Although not quoted by name, a group of Democratic lawmakers in the House expressed unease with President Brown’s negotiating approach and his concerns over the federal budget. Brown also reportedly blocked further tax cuts for middle incomes for budget concerns and rejected calls for a smaller defense budget.

A group of two dozen left-leaning economists wrote an essay on November 25, siding with Holtzman and urging the passage of another economic relief program, as the labor market shows few signs of recovery.

November 30, 1981: New Gallup poll

Approve: 46% ▼
Disapprove: 48% ▲
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #737 on: March 18, 2022, 03:31:01 PM »

Interesting solution to the electoral college. Was this actually something that was discussed back in the day?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #738 on: March 18, 2022, 03:39:47 PM »

Interesting solution to the electoral college. Was this actually something that was discussed back in the day?

Not sure about the aftermath of 2000, though I read about the additional votes proposal for the national vote winner in recent years as a compromise that wouldn't require a constitutional amendment. I doubt this was much of an issue in the actual 1980s since all popular vote winners between 1888 and 2000 actually won the Electoral College. Remember the initial point here is Reagan losing the election while winning the popular vote.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #739 on: March 23, 2022, 02:35:24 PM »
« Edited: March 23, 2022, 04:41:41 PM by President Johnson »

December 5, 1981: President Brown signs historic Space Research and NASA Reorganization Act into law, announces massive expansion of space program

It was a key promise of his campaign, now President Jerry Brown signed the Space Research and NASA Reorganization Act into law. Months in the making, the bill finally passed both houses of congress with a clear bipartisan majority. The act reorganizes and expands America’s space program to a new level, appropriating more than 92 billion dollars for the remainder of the decade. With this record sum to NAFTA, the administration intends to expand space research and launch of new series of space exploration missions. Additionally, historic investments in the construction of space telescopes across the United States are planned. For oversight of the space exploration program, President Brown appointed former Vice President William Scranton, who lobbied fellow Republicans to support the legislation.

Additionally, the act reorganizes NASA as a whole, aiming to make it more efficient. The bill also creates a program to make it easier for foreign scientists to join NASA and become permanent residents of the United States.

The reset of the American space program reverses a Rockefeller era policy, drastically limiting America’s role in space. After budget shortfalls in his first term, then-President Rockefeller drastically cut back the space program from the Johnson Administration that landed the first man on the moon. “Today, I can announce, that America is back in space like we have never been before”, Brown said, “but we are not doing this for ourselves only. We do it for the world, because we want our children and grandchildren to know more about the world we live in than we do.”

December 14/15, 1981: Justice Department suspends investigation into Nixon, takes job as president of the Council on Foreign Relations

The Justice Department formally announced that the investigation into former Secretary of State and two-time Republican presidential nominee Richard Nixon has been suspended at the direction of Attorney General Ramsey Clark. The decision came after a report found not enough evidence to continue the effort or issue an indictment. Nixon was under investigation for potential Logan Act violations, a federal statute prohibiting private citizens from negotiating on behalf of the United States. Since leaving office as America’s chief diplomat back in January, Nixon made a number of international trips and met with foreign diplomats and heads of state. During his meetings, Nixon repeatedly criticized the Brown Administration’s foreign policy, particularly arms embargos issued by President Brown. Some reports suggested Nixon lobbied for various other governments to deliver arms in the meantime, directly or indirectly. Also, Nixon publically and privately called upon congress to overturn Brown’s embargo. However, congress so far was unable to override a presidential veto on said matter.

The next day, it was announced that Nixon would be appointed president of the Council on Foreign Relations, taking the job January 1. Initially, former White House National Security Advisor to Presidents Rockefeller and Ford, Henry Kissinger, was rumored for the position, but declined.

Late December 1981: Economy remains in stagflation

Despite a compromise version of President Brown’s economic relief program enacted into law, the economy remains a top priority (and concern) for the administration. Numbers for the fourth quarter of 1981 remain underwhelming. Although unemployment slightly declined to 8.5%, it remains high, as does inflation at 7.5%. However, economic growth went back in positive, remains at a staggering 0.6%.

Democratic allies of the president, especially liberal Democrats in congress, again called for a spending program and stimulate growth and another increase in the top tax rate. Meanwhile, Republicans such as House Minority Leader Bob Michel proposed a 15% tax cut for individuals and businesses, saying the first tax cut from the October bill was not enough. However, the president only wants a revenue neutral tax reform and favors reducing the increase of the military budget. According to White House sources, President Jerry Brown intends to propose a number of new policies in his upcoming State of the Union Address. That also includes a new attempt to raise the minimum wage and pass a new labor reform bill that includes overturning the Taft-Hartley Act. Sources from 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue also indicate increasing concern over public opinion over the presidents handling of the economy. A November survey already found Brown’s approval rating on the economy has slipped under 40%.

December 31, 1981: New Gallup polls, including for 1984, shows trouble for Brown

A round of new Gallup polls has the White House on alarm: For the first time, President Jerry Brown’s disapproval rating has reached 50%, while approval slipped to 44%. Analysts identified the economic situation as main cause; foreign policy remains the only issue his approval rating remains slightly positive.

Approve: 44% ▼
Disapprove: 50% ▲

1982 congressional generic ballot
Republican: 45%
Democratic: 44%

1984 Democratic presidential primary
Jerry Brown (incumbent): 78%
Someone else: 10%
Undecided: 12%

1984 Republican presidential primary
Howard Baker: 21%
Paul Laxalt: 15%
Mark Hatfield: 9%
Bob Dole: 6%
Jack Kemp: 6%
Mike Curb: 4%
Phil Crane: 3%
Someone else: 10%
Undecided: 26%

1984 General election matchups

Howard Baker (R): 47%
Jerry Brown (D, inc.): 43%

Paul Laxalt (R): 46%

Mark Hatfield (R): 47%
Jerry Brown (D, inc.): 42%

Bob Dole (R): 47%

Jack Kemp (R): 46%

Jerry Brown (D, inc.): 45%
Mike Curb (R): 44%

Jerry Brown (D, inc.): 44%
Phil Crane (R): 43%

Although neither has indicated to run for president again or was included in the primary question, Gallup also polled former President Gerald Ford and 1980 Republican nominee Ronald Reagan how they would fare in a general election. The survey found that both would handily defeat President Brown if they were the candidates and if the election was hold that day.

Gerald Ford (R): 54%
Jerry Brown (D, inc.): 40%

Ronald Reagan (R): 51%
Jerry Brown (D, inc.): 41%
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #740 on: March 23, 2022, 03:46:51 PM »

More space action is good.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #741 on: March 24, 2022, 09:48:31 AM »

My prediction: Brown will remain look vulnerable through 1982 and rebound at some time in 1983 before winning a landslide reelection in 1984, similar to Reagan IRL.
LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #742 on: March 25, 2022, 02:03:04 PM »

My prediction: Brown will remain look vulnerable through 1982 and rebound at some time in 1983 before winning a landslide reelection in 1984, similar to Reagan IRL.
I think you might be on to something.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #743 on: March 29, 2022, 01:51:39 PM »

January 5, 1982: President Brown signs National Security Directive, prohibiting support for Contras in Nicaragua

Just after returning to Washington from his California home, President Jerry Brown signed a National Security Directive, prohibiting any American support for Contras in Nicaragua. The directive not only includes the federal government and its agencies, but also applies to individuals and American businesses. In a public statement, the Brown Administration justifies the decision with the Contras’ “apparent lack of respect for democracy and human rights”.

Several Republicans in congress, as well as few Democrats, criticized the move. Although the same day, Brown also issued a proclamation condemning the socialist government of the Nicaragua, Senator Paul Laxalt (R-NV) accused him of being “weak on communism”. A White House spokesman rejected criticism, saying “the president isn’t into this black and white thinking. Not anyone fighting communism is automatically our friend and the administration has already made this clear in its Middle East policy.”

January 15, 1982: New York Governor Robert Kennedy signs landmark public-private healthcare law

Robert Kennedy begins the final year of his second term as New York Governor with a major legislative success: After more than two years of negotiations with lawmakers, he was finally able to secure passage of the New York Healthcare Act. The bill provides creation of the Health Connector; the establishment of the subsidized Commonwealth Care Health Insurance Program; the employer Fair Share Contribution and Free Rider Surcharge; and a requirement that each individual must show evidence of coverage on their income tax return or face a tax penalty, unless coverage was deemed unaffordable by the Health Connector. Furthermore, the statute expands coverage for children of low income parents under a Medicaid Expansion federal law created during Lyndon B. Johnson’s second full term, in which Kennedy was vice president. In addition, residents of New York must have health insurance coverage under the reform that takes effect on January 1, 1983. Residents must indicate on their tax forms if they had insurance on December 31 of that tax year, had a waiver for religious reasons, or had a waiver from the Connector. Employers with more than 20 full-time equivalent employees must provide a 50% contribution to the premium of health insurance for employees.

The bill was passed with the support of about three quarters of Democratic lawmakers and about a third of Republican members. Many of the latter were associates to former president and governor Nelson Rockefeller, who sought to implement a similar program at the national level in 1977/78, but narrowly failed in the House of Representatives.

Kennedy, who served as governor of the Empire State since 1975, largely retreated from national politics after his narrow loss to Nelson Rockefeller in the 1972 presidential election, although supporters urged him to jump into presidential races in 1976 and 1980. However, as governor, Kennedy successfully continued and expanded Rockefeller’s reforms on housing, education, the environment and civil rights. He also signed legislation to take back harsh drug laws during his first term and invented drug prevention programs over his second term. Kennedy’s seat is up for reelection later this year. The governor has not announced a decision whether to seek a third term. After Shirley Hufstedler’s appointment in 1981, fulfilling President Brown’s promise to nominate a woman first, some Democratic politicians raised Kennedy’s name for an appointment another Supreme Court vacancy comes up.

January 28, 1982

State of the Union Address: President Brown urges economic reforms, health care expansion

“Ladies and Gentlemen, members of congress, the President of the United States!”, Speaker Tip O’Neill introduced President Jerry Brown to his first State of the Union Address, a little more than a year after taking office. In the chamber of the US House, the 39th President of the United States addressed all 535 lawmakers in person and millions of Americans at home.

The president’s speech largely focused on domestic policy and economic recovery as, for the first time, some economic data from January indicated signs of a small recovery. Brown’s first call was a raise of the minimum wage: “I am urging congress to pass legislation to increase of the federal minimum wage to 4 dollars and 25 cents. It’s been a while since our workers saw a raise, and after more than two years of economic hardship, let us give them what they deserve. The men and women that run the factories, keep our offices clean, build our homes and sweat on agriculture fields earned it! Every single penny!” The president also addressed criticism over potential job losses: “I know that some of you have questions. Does it cost jobs? Hurt businesses? I tell you: No! We have already passed measures to lift financial burdens for our businesses and I’m ready to talk to you about what else we can do. But let me make it clear: We will not get into massive tax breaks for a few at the top and then cut vital social services because the federal government runs out of money”, he said. And added: “What my administration wants to do is increase purchasing power. And we’re going to do that by paying workers what they need to make a living.”

Brown also demanded a repeal of the Taft-Hartley Labor Act again and a second infrastructure bill, saying the economic relief program passed in October wasn’t big enough. According to his plan, significant sums of that proposal would be spent on railway construction, ports and scientific research.

Another key issue for the president this time around was healthcare, and he provided a lenghty praise of New York's recently passed healthcare law. "My friend Bobby Kennedy has accomplished something amazing in New York. Now let us sit together and find out whether we can do it for all of America. Wouldn't that be great?", he asked.

Towards the end, President Brown briefly highlighted the new space program, thanked lawmakers for its bipartisan passage, and then turned to foreign policy in the remaining ten minutes of the 41 minute speech. Brown again defended his arms embargo policies towards Iraq and Afghanistan and reported on Secretary Shriver’s efforts to end the Iran-Iraq war. The president also announced a state visit by newly inaugurated Egyptian president Mubarak. “We seek a strategic partnership with Egypt to ensure lasting stability in the region”, he said.

Lastly, the president closed his speech: “I can report, that the State of the Union is improving. The worst days of this recession are over. But how fast we’re getting out is in our hands. The hands of us, the elected representatives of the people. Here in this chamber. Let us seize the moment and get it done!”

A Gallup poll conducted on January 29 found that 52% of viewers rated the speech “positive” or “very positive”, while 39% rated it “negative” or “very negative”. The remaining group didn’t have an opinion. However, the same poll found the president’s approval rating with the economy under water, 44-49%, a small improvement from December.

Jack Kemp’s Republican response: President failed to address international issues, weak on defense, ineffective on economy

Congressman Jack Kemp (R-NY) was chosen to give the Republican response to the State of the Union Address. This came after a controversy with California governor Mike Curb, Brown’s successor in Sacramento, who wanted to give the speech and got under fire in December, after telling the Los Angeles Times that he has already been selected for the role. However, this received a lot of backlash in Republican circles from conservatives and moderates alike.

The main theme of Kemp’s speech was on foreign policy, criticizing the Brown Administration as naive and “full of wishful thinking”. “Where was the president, when Brezhnev intensified his attacks in Afghanistan? Where is the president, when it comes to counter Iranian aggression? Where is the president, when it comes to communist movements in Latin America? Ladies and Gentlemen, the president is absent in that regard”, the congressman said. “Where is the president on defense?” he continued, “Mr. Brown’s proposed budget has the smallest increase in defense spending since we got out of Vietnam. While the Soviets and others build up and wage war, the president of the United States is absent. Instead, he’s focused on punishing those who create jobs and have been successful here at home. The president continues to perpetrate a failed ideology under the mantle of helping the poor and workers.”

Instead, Kemp proposed to cut corporate taxes by a third and a phased-in second tax cut for individuals as well as spending cuts on a number of social programs that weren’t mentioned by name.

January 31, 1982: New Gallup poll

Approve: 47% ▲
Disapprove: 49% ▼
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #744 on: March 30, 2022, 09:40:42 AM »

Interesting, the NY bill is de facto Romneycare. If that's already passed in 1982, either Brown or whoever is the Dem prez after him can make it a national law. 20-30 years ahead of time.
hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #745 on: March 30, 2022, 10:31:31 AM »

Interesting, the NY bill is de facto Romneycare. If that's already passed in 1982, either Brown or whoever is the Dem prez after him can make it a national law. 20-30 years ahead of time.

Canada passed their universal healthcare law in 1984 in OTL, so the timing is there, especially in a timeline that didn't see the end of the era of big government (w/ Reagan/Bush/Clinton/Bush2)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #746 on: April 04, 2022, 01:08:59 PM »

February 4, 1982

BREAKING: U.S. HOUSE passes Constitutional Amendment for 50 national electoral votes

Historic vote on the floor of the US House of Representatives: The lower house of congress has approved the adoption of a constitutional amendment to allocate 50 extra electoral votes to the national popular winner in a presidential election. 321 lawmakers voted in favor of the measure, 105 against. Consequently, the necessary two-thirds necessary for constitutional was easy passed, with 73% support. After the passage by the House, the amendment now heads over to the senate, where lengthy discussions are expected. Should 67 members of the body support the measure, it would head to the states, requiring ratification by three quarters (38).

The amendment was proposed after Republican Ronald Reagan lost the 1980 presidential election while winning the popular vote by less than a percentage point, making him the first to do so for nearly a century, when President Grover Cleveland lost reelection 1888 despite winning more votes in total than Benjamin Harrison. Reagan also become the first Republican to win the popular vote while falling short of an Electoral College majority. In the 1980 election, he lost the tipping point state of Missouri by 210 votes, following an extensive legal battle over provisional ballots. A previous proposal, that would switch to a pure popular vote election of the president, was previously defeated on the House floor. In advance, both President Jerry Brown and Ronald Reagan came out in support of the proposal.

February 12, 1982: Republican George Deukmejian launches primary challenge to Gov. Mike Curb in California, setting stage for brutal contest

14 months after taking office following the resignation of Jerry Brown, California Governor Mike Curb, a Republican who was elected lt. governor in 1978 on a separate ballot, is in deep political trouble: Extensive battles with the Democratic-controlled state legislature over spending and taxes left the most populous state without a regular budget for several months. In addition, Curb’s crime policies have been controversial and two of his aides were charged of fraud. A January 1982 poll found his approval down to 31%, from 59% after taking office in December 1980. Right after taking office, Curb, at 38 years, was considered a “Republican version of Brown” and even mentioned as a potential presidential candidate for 1984 or 1988.

On February 12, State Attorney General George Deukmejian officially launched his gubernatorial campaign, challenging Curb for the Republican nomination. “I am running, to move California into the right direction. California needs a governor who can lead this state with vision, integrity and bring people together. I am running to end political stalemate, return to growth and combat crime and the drug epidemic”, Deukmejian told supporters. In his entire speech, he didn’t mention Curb by name. Some observers labeled the popular Attorney General, as a more moderate Republican with a “tough on crime” approach. Meanwhile, a spokesman for the Curb campaign, that was launched in January, dismissed Deukmejian’s bid: “Governor Curb is focused on his job, and if Mr. Deukmejian wants to complain about crime, I suggest he – as chief law enforcement officer – better focuses on his job instead of using it as a cheap stepping stone for personal ambition.”

On Democratic side, Los Angeles Mayor Tom Bradly is considered the frontrunner for the nomination. President Jerry Brown has not weighed in on the race in his homestate yet, but is expected to endorse Bradley at some point.

Former President Gerald Ford endorses Deukmejian

George Deukmejian receives his first major endorsement days after announcing his bid for governor: Former President Gerald Ford publically endorsed him during an interview for the Los Angeles Times. “I believe that the Attorney General brings the right kind of character and policies to the table required for this difficult job. Although we realize Mr. Curb came to office under difficult circumstances and has to be credited for keeping Democratic spending wishes in check, I believe that California would be better served with George Deukmejian”, the former president said. After leaving office in January 1981, President Ford and his family relocated from Grand Rapids, Michigan, to California in September 1981.

California Republicans other big name, Ronald Reagan, has not made an endorsement. In recent statements, he praised both candidates. Close confidants of the former governor and Republican presidential nominee told reporters Reagan may not make an official endorsement.

A Los Angeles Times poll released on February 17 found Deukmejian leading Curb 52-40% for the Republican nomination. However, while Deukmejian tied Democrat Bradley at 44% support each, Curb trailed 41-46%.

February 23, 1982: Brown Administration backed minimum wage bill passes House 217 – 215

A major legislative priority for the Brown Administration and its liberal Democratic allies in congress has passed the first hurdle: After months of negotiation, the House of Representatives voted for an increase of the federal minimum wage from 3.10$ to 3.50$. With narrowest of margins, the bill was approved with 217 votes for and 215 against. Only nine Republicans voted in favor, all members of the moderate wing. Besides the president, Labor Secretary Cesar Chavez was one of the staunchest supporters for the increase. In the weeks and days leading up to the vote, Chavez held several public events and appeared in TV to rally public support and pressure congress. He rejected conservative criticism over negative impacts on the job market. “The modest increase we proposed is hardly a job killer”, the secretary said on CBS News, “instead, we give workers some respect and dignity. Additionally, higher wages help the government to collect more in income taxes, providing some relief for the federal budget.”

According to Senate Majority Leader Robert Byrd (D-WV), the upper chamber will discuss the bill in March and expected to vote on it later that month. President Brown and his senior White House staffers have already reached to senators to lobby for passage.

February 28, 1982: New Gallup poll

Approve: 47% ▬
Disapprove: 47% ▼
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #747 on: April 09, 2022, 01:47:13 PM »

March 7, 1982

CBS News – Special Coverage with Dan Rather

BREAKING: SHOTS FIRED AT VICE PRESIDENT CHURCH

Vice President wounded at Washington event, hospitalized, condition unclear

Dan Rather: Ladies and Gentlemen, CBS is interrupting our program for an important development that just broke. We are hearing that shots have been fired at Vice President Frank Church about little over ten minutes ago, at 7.45 p.m. EST. The vice president was on his way back to his residence after he gave a speech at the Washington Hilton Hotel, here in Washington DC. As we hear, shots were fired at the vice president from a greeting crowd just outside the hotel. We are turning now to our reporter next to the building where the tragedy occurred. What do we know?

Reporter: Good evening Dan, about 14 minutes ago, Vice President Frank Church left the Washington Hilton Hotel toward his waiting limousine as a man in a crowd of supporters opened fire at the second highest official in the federal government. As several hundred people applauded Vice President Church, Jerry Brown’s deputy unexpectedly passed right in front of this man, whose identity we don’t know yet and who was immediately arrested by Secret Service agents and police. According to eye witnesses, Frank Church was hit in the chest and fell to the ground. We also hear that a Secret Service Agent was hit in the arm. Immediately after, Mr. Church was carried into his limousine and rushed to a hospital few minutes away.

Dan Rather: How exactly did that happen? You would assume that public officials are properly protected, especially after President Kennedy’s assassination in 1963 and the near-fatal attempt to end Robert Kennedy’s life in 1968.

Reporter: Dan, this will certainly be investigated extensively. From what we know, the Secret Service, which is also responsible for protecting the vice president, had extensively screened those attending the vice president's speech, but greatly erred by allowing an unscreened group to stand within 20 feet of him, behind a rope line.

Dan Rather: Now one of the most important questions: What do we know about the condition of Vice President Church?

Reporter: Our information is very limited here, Dan, so I'd rather not speculate here. What we do know is, that the 57 year old vice president was apparently hit on the right side of his chest and wounded. A police officer I was able to talk said, both the vice president and the wounded Secret Service Agent were promptly rushed to a hospital not far from here. We don’t know what his current condition is. Out from the five shots fired, one hit Church and one the agent. The others apparently missed.

Dan Rather: This sounds pretty bad, and we can just hope Vice President Church recovers fully. Is too soon to ask about the shooter? What do we know?

Reporter: We don’t know much, Dan. All we know is that a man, apparently around 25-30 years old, pulled out a gun while in the crowd and opened fire. He certainly wanted to hit Vice President Church. We don’t know about his motive, whether it’s political or not. Secret Service and police are expected to issue a statement later on. However, we can report that he was quickly overwhelmed and arrested, thanks to courageous agents.

Dan Rather: Indeed. Do we have any reaction from the White House yet? Is it known where President Brown is?

Reporter: A colleague reporting from the White House just phoned our team here and said the president did not have any events outside the White House on his schedule today. We were told Jerry Brown was in a meeting with senators to discuss the legislative calendar and lobby for his minimum wage bill. We can certainly assume that President Brown was already briefed about the situation. No word yet when he will address the nation, though that could happen any moment now.

Dan Rather: Thank you very much for these important, albeit tragic, news. We’re now waiting for an official reaction.

President Jerry Brown reacts to attack on Vice President Frank Church, provides updates

Dan Rather: Ladies and Gentlemen, we just were told the President of the United States is about to address the American people. Let’s turn over to the White House.

President Brown: Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen, my fellow Americans: Just about an hour ago, I was informed that in the aftermath of a public event shots were fired at Vice President Frank Church. Linda, the entire administration and I were deeply shocked and quite frankly, immensely saddened by the news that our beloved friend and my governing partner became the target of a man man’s bullet. Immediately I requested further updates on the state of his condition. Tonight, I want to share those information with the nation in the world, as many of you are in grave concern about his well-being.

Now, the following information I can provide to the public: A bullet entered Vice President Church’s chest and caused severe injuries. An immediate emergency surgery begun after reaching hospital. This surgery is still going on and we don’t know how long it will take. I was told it could be a matter of several hours. And while the best doctors in this country are taking care of the vice president‘s health, I was honestly told that no serious prediction about his recovery can be made at this point in time. I’m fully aware that this is an answer we all can hardly live with. Nonetheless, this is the honest picture at this moment. I chose to be as transparent as possible to prevent baseless speculation from spreading. Nonetheless, I can hereby assure that the federal government fully functions and that all major cabinet secretaries have been called to return to Washington immediately.

This is an incredibly difficult time for all of us and especially the Church family. I had the opportunity to talk to the Second Lady, who was rushed to hospital. I ask all of you that you join me and Linda to pray for the best possible outcome of all of this. We will pray for our beloved vice president, Frank Forrester Church, an outstanding public servant whose friendship I have come to value even more since this chapter begun 14 months ago. I will continue to be briefed about all developments and will inform you, the American people, at any time necessary.

Thank you all very much, may god bless our beloved vice president, his wonderful family, and the United States of America. Good night.

Dan Rather: That was President Jerry Brown, visibly moved during this impromptu speech. He just had a few notes with him and spoke without a full script. It would be premature to draw any conclusions from his words, however, I believe that it didn’t sound very optimistic. Unfortunately, I have to say. I don’t even feel comfortable touching this issue, but I’m sure some of you already asked what would happen in a worst case scenario here. Now, if the vice president were to die, for the second time the 25th Amendment would take effect, allowing President Brown to nominate a successor, who would need confirmation by both chambers of congress. Since its adoption in 1967, one vice president was already named under its provisions. That was just two years ago, when Gerald Ford assumed the presidency after Nelson Rockefeller’s passing. He appointed UN Ambassador William Scranton to the position, and Scranton served after his confirmation until Ford left office last year. It would get more complicated should Vice President Church remain incapable of serving. While the constitution provides a mechanism how to deal with an incapable president, it doesn’t with an incapable vice president. Now, this isn’t necessarily an issue, but only as long as the president fully functions.

But, as of now, we don’t know what ultimately happens and we all wish Vice President Church a speedy and full recovery. We already have several reactions from Capitol Hill, Democratic and Republican lawmakers expressing their best wishes to the vice president and his family, including Senator Howard Baker, Church’s opponent in the 1980 campaign. Also, former President Gerald Ford, 1980 Republican nominee Ronald Reagan, former Vice President Bill Scranton and Governor Robert Kennedy issued written statements, praying for Vice President Church.

We come back as soon as we have more information. Stay with us.
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #748 on: April 09, 2022, 03:32:53 PM »

Assassination? That’s an odd way of saying "pancreatic cancer"
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #749 on: April 11, 2022, 08:37:44 AM »

Ugh, and I wondered how Church's death in April 1984 would affect the next race 4 prez? Seems like we're about to get a new VP before that.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies