Trump's path to 270
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:59:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump's path to 270
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump's path to 270  (Read 908 times)
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 14, 2016, 11:42:50 AM »

Despite the media talking about Ohio, it's pretty clear he is going to have to pull off one of the following maps in order to win.

279-259 Trump

OR

269-269 each. Even if ME-2 is red, the GOP house will break the tie if it's 269 all so it's largely irrelevant.

I don't really see any other path in a close election. MI is the bluest of MI, PA, WI trio and autoworkers are probably the least likely blue collar whites to defect. VA, CO clearly lean D at this point in time based on education levels, NH is not far behind. The NV/NH combo looks like a longshot for the GOP, NV polls could be off again and other than one poll, NH isn't close.

I just don't see a path for Trump without one of Pennsylvania or Wisconsin.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 11:44:51 AM »

I agree, and I think Path 2 is more likely.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 11:48:03 AM »

I agree at the moment (well MI rather than PA), as I just posted elsewhere, the Trump collapse in Oakland County Michigan, and the WOW counties in Wisconsin, representing his weakness with better educated white suburban voters, is just too great for Trump to carry either state, even if Trump, as he seems to be doing, is grabbing a considerable number of normally Democratic white working class voters in the hinterlands of those two states (which do make up a substantial percentage of the population in each states).  He needs to entice back a considerable number of those voters that normally vote Pub that don't like him. So far, there is no evidence of that happening. Ditto for the Philly burbs.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 11:50:13 AM »

I agree at the moment (well MI rather than PA), as I just posted elsewhere, the Trump collapse in Oakland County Michigan, and the WOW counties in Wisconsin, representing his weakness with better educated white suburban voters, is just too great for Trump to carry either state, even if Trump, as he seems to be doing, is grabbing a considerable number of normally Democratic white working class voters in the hinterlands of those two states (which do make up a substantial percentage of the population in each states).  He needs to entice back a considerable number of those voters that normally vote Pub that don't like him. So far, there is no evidence of that happening. Ditto for the Philly burbs.

The Marquette poll?
ursulahx
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 11:52:30 AM »

If PA flips to Trump, what are the chances WI would as well?
elcorazon

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 11:52:43 AM »

Don't forget he HAS to hold FL and NC for it to work, too. I think he WILL hold OH and take IA if he pulls off MI, WI or PA, but NC and FL have slightly different dynamics so the door could still be open for HIllary despite losing one of those states. FL is possibly the state she holds onto that kills the Trump bid.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 11:54:34 AM »

The Marquette poll?

Yes, for Wisconsin.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 11:56:17 AM »

We still see a pattern much as in 2008 and 2012: if the election is not set, then the Republican nominee must win four states that are close, states that are different enough and scattered enough that no appeal can be made to fit them all unless fundamentally changing the nature of the election very late in the election.

Donald Trump has not won over any significant Democratic constituency, but he offends some traditionally-Republican ones.  
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 12:00:40 PM »

The first one is more plausible, but neither seem likely.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2016, 12:28:09 PM »

What about Iowa, Nevada and New Mexico?

I'd like to see some New Mexico polls. Trump could be strong there.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 12:29:48 PM »

What about Iowa, Nevada and New Mexico?

I'd like to see some New Mexico polls. Trump could be strong there.

NM?  Really?  What percent of the voters there are Hispanic again?
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 12:30:07 PM »

I doubt that he can win PA or WI or any of the other states that have gone "blue" since 1988

most likely

less likely

NH is more likely than any of the other leaning Clinton states and the most likely (but highly unlikely) 269-269 tie is:

DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 12:31:09 PM »

Fraud. Namely ballot box stuffing.
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2016, 01:28:00 PM »

I think 2 is more likely also. Wisconsin has more non-college whites than Pennsylvania and by quite a lot too. Look here: http://cookpolitical.com/story/8608

Despite PA's blue collar reputation, Clinton will probably overwhelm Trump so badly in the Philly suburbs that Trump will be simply unable to close the gap. Even places like Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, State College will sprinkle in enough Democratic votes to keep Trump out.

Wisconsin is a problem for Trump in the Milwaukee suburbs compared to normal GOP showings but he has a chance to gain significant ground upstate.

As for Florida, it is going to be very interesting. Polls have Hillary doing better than Obama's 21% win with Latinos. Most have it around 25-32% for her. If Hispanics grow as a portion of the electorate, it can offset any Trump gains with whites. Obama lost FL whites by 22-23 in 2012 and some polls have it similar or less, others closer to 27%. In other words, Florida is going to be VERY close.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2016, 01:57:27 PM »

Only the Romney states plus the big three (FL, OH, PA). And eventually IA in addition. But ain't gonna happen. The Trumpster is trailing in PA in high single-digits or low double-digits. WI and MI are also not in play despite some GOPers wishful thinking.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies