Is "basket of deplorables" Hillary's 47% moment?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:28:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is "basket of deplorables" Hillary's 47% moment?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13
Poll
Question: -skip-
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 233

Author Topic: Is "basket of deplorables" Hillary's 47% moment?  (Read 23343 times)
MK
Mike Keller
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: September 12, 2016, 12:39:28 AM »

Ok. Let me make a serious statement, for once.

1. I, actually, understand where the Trump support is coming from. Yes, there are many people in the US who feel that "the elites" are usurping the power, do not care about them, do not share their values, etc. I, of course, do not share those sentiments, but I do see how this can be a strong feeling.

2. This feeling is not limited to the US, of course. In fact, in much of the world the same feeling of impotent rage against the elites that many Americans feel domestically is directed against all Americans as a group. Aren't Americans the worldwide "elite"? Many Russians, for instance, would, as a matter of course, answer in the affirmative. The world, in their worldview, is governed by the "Washington obkom".

3. Of course, there are no real elites governing the world. Society is a complex organism, and no group of people can control or direct it. Nor is there a cohesive group with alligned interests that could try to do so. The world, really, is a lot more chaotic than many people suppose.

4. Miraculously, this chaos over the last 70 years has been, at least in the "first world", resolved without major conflagrations that had been the norm for most of our history, and remain the norm in many places till now. This has been achieved, in great part, because after the catastrophe of the two world wars societies converged to some modicum of political and social moderation. They say that Mexicans are so polite (and Mexican conventions are those of exaggerated politeness) because 100 years ago an impolite word could have resulted in shooting. In a sense, the same has been true of our societies in general. We could continue to think whatever we thought of those not like us (be that socially, ethnically, religiously, racially or whatever) but we tended to hold our mouths under some control. Having survived the World Wars nobody was willing to risk provoking them anew.

5. Well, this is, increasingly, no longer the case. The generation which survived the wars is gone. Their children do not understand where the politeness conventions are coming from: they think these are elite plots to subdue the straight-talking simple folk.

6. Trump has done away with courtesies of the recent decades and his supporters love it. Well, I view my role here as educational. I am performing, of course and I am being nasty and offensive. I do this for a reason. You have insisted on taking away the veneer of civilization that has maintained peace. Well, live with it. Smell the urine. Alas, unless we collectively recoil, soon we all will be smelling blood.

Yes, I am scared. And I am screaming.

You make is sound as if Donald Trump is the key to all problems facing the world and people lives today. That makes you sound dishonest about any beliefs you espouse.

ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #176 on: September 12, 2016, 01:04:18 AM »

1. I, actually, understand where the Trump support is coming from. Yes, there are many people in the US who feel that "the elites" are usurping the power, do not care about them, do not share their values, etc. I, of course, do not share those sentiments, but I do see how this can be a strong feeling.

2. This feeling is not limited to the US, of course. In fact, in much of the world the same feeling of impotent rage against the elites that many Americans feel domestically is directed against all Americans as a group. Aren't Americans the worldwide "elite"? Many Russians, for instance, would, as a matter of course, answer in the affirmative. The world, in their worldview, is governed by the "Washington obkom".

3. Of course, there are no real elites governing the world. Society is a complex organism, and no group of people can control or direct it. Nor is there a cohesive group with alligned interests that could try to do so. The world, really, is a lot more chaotic than many people suppose.

4. Miraculously, this chaos over the last 70 years has been, at least in the "first world", resolved without major conflagrations that had been the norm for most of our history, and remain the norm in many places till now. This has been achieved, in great part, because after the catastrophe of the two world wars societies converged to some modicum of political and social moderation. They say that Mexicans are so polite (and Mexican conventions are those of exaggerated politeness) because 100 years ago an impolite word could have resulted in shooting. In a sense, the same has been true of our societies in general. We could continue to think whatever we thought of those not like us (be that socially, ethnically, religiously, racially or whatever) but we tended to hold our mouths under some control. Having survived the World Wars nobody was willing to risk provoking them anew.

5. Well, this is, increasingly, no longer the case. The generation which survived the wars is gone. Their children do not understand where the politeness conventions are coming from: they think these are elite plots to subdue the straight-talking simple folk.

6. Trump has done away with courtesies of the recent decades and his supporters love it. Well, I view my role here as educational. I am performing, of course and I am being nasty and offensive. I do this for a reason. You have insisted on taking away the veneer of civilization that has maintained peace. Well, live with it. Smell the urine. Alas, unless we collectively recoil, soon we all will be smelling blood.

You make is sound as if Donald Trump is the key to all problems facing the world

No, not Trump. Trump's supporters. The are the "deplorables". Trump is a run-of-the-mill scoundrel. His supporters are much worse.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #177 on: September 12, 2016, 01:14:04 AM »

You make is sound as if Donald Trump is the key to all problems facing the world

No, not Trump. Trump's supporters. The are the "deplorables". Trump is a run-of-the-mill scoundrel. His supporters are much worse.

Racial relations got worse under a liberal black president.  Just saying..
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #178 on: September 12, 2016, 01:17:40 AM »

Have they? In whose eyes?
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #179 on: September 12, 2016, 01:20:21 AM »

Yeah, they have the last time race relations were this poor were in the 60s. Obama's chosen to 'stick it to whitey' rather than any sort of rapprochement. When we see people losing their jobs for stating that "All lives matter", and the statement that, "everybody's lives are important" is considered a 'racist' statement', pretty much everybody is going to 'check out' of the movement.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #180 on: September 12, 2016, 01:27:12 AM »

Yeah, they have the last time race relations were this poor were in the 60s. Obama's chosen to 'stick it to whitey' rather than any sort of rapprochement. When we see people losing their jobs for stating that "All lives matter", and the statement that, "everybody's lives are important" is considered a 'racist' statement', pretty much everybody is going to 'check out' of the movement.

Framing this deranged rant. Just so that you never can argue you are not a racist.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #181 on: September 12, 2016, 01:28:45 AM »
« Edited: September 12, 2016, 01:33:08 AM by ProudModerate2 »

I honestly might vote for Trump because of this. I expect this kind of thing from atlas hack posters but calling 25 % of the country awful irredeemable people because they support your opponents political campaign is disgusting. How can she unite he country when she finds such a large percentage of it so awful? I'm sick of leftist identity politics telling me that my dad is the main thing holding America back today.

It's hard to believe that someone offended by that comment was not already voting for Trump. The truth is often painful.

I was turned off by Trump's comments on Judge Curiel among other things. I'm not a fan of this idea that the majority of the people in my town and family  are awful people just because they aren't voting for Hillary Clinton. Always good to hear such judgment from the tolerant and open minded left.

The point wasn't about people not voting for Hillary Clinton, it was about them voting for someone who is extremely bigoted. Plus, there is the fact that Trump has more openly racist supporters than any previous Republican nominee. McCain and Romney didn't have people holding up confederate flags, shout racial slurs and death threats. There is also the small matter of David Duke endorsing him.

Unfortunatly there are only two real options in American elections. Is it really fair to call millions of people horrible just because they would rather take their chances with Trump than vote for Clinton? My parents voted for Kasich in the primary and are voting for Trump. I take offense at calling my parents racist or homophobic because calling them that is rediculous.

St. Alphonso,
First of all, Hillary almost immediately corrected herself with the matter of "half" (50%) of trump supporters being in the "basket of deplorables." She hasn't indicated a new number, but she is basically saying it is less than half.

Secondly, she never said that all trump supporters are "deplorable." Her definition of these people are ONLY those who are racist, sexist, homophobic, etc.
So if your parents are not "racist or homophobic," etc, then they are not in this "basket."
You need to go back to page 1 and read exactly what she said. She also indicated (in that same speech) that the other segment of trump supporters are nothing like "deplorables."

I'm sure you will agree though, that more than any other recent presidential election, that there are more "openly" racist and bigoted followers of a major candidate (some supporters of our very own orange-haired clown, Mr trump). Clinton is just calling-out this fact, and is also calling-out those specific scumbags within our society.
Conclusion: If you and your family (mom, dad, etc) are not part of this segment of our population, then you don't need to take any personal offence to what Clinton is saying.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #182 on: September 12, 2016, 01:31:08 AM »

So if your parents are not "racist or homophobic," etc, then they are not in this "basket."

On this I happen to disagree with both you and Mrs. Clinton.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #183 on: September 12, 2016, 01:32:10 AM »

Have they? In whose eyes?

According to the left.  

You know rogue white policemen are going out onto the streets of America and shooting every black male in sight.  

ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #184 on: September 12, 2016, 01:34:04 AM »

You know rogue white policemen are going out onto the streets of America and shooting every black male in sight.  

The have been doing that since times immemorial. It is just that recently people (of all races, though, of course, not you) started objecting to it. If you consider that "deterioration", I will have to disagree. I find that a major improvement.

I realize that you are upset that killing blacks is no longer viewed as innocent fun, but, if I were you, I would keep that sentiment private.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #185 on: September 12, 2016, 01:47:07 AM »

The have been doing that since times immemorial. It is just that recently people (of all races, though, of course, not you) started objecting to it. If you consider that "deterioration", I will have to disagree. I find that a major improvement.

I realize that you are upset that killing blacks is no longer viewed as innocent fun, but, if I were you, I would keep that sentiment private.

This is ridiculous and once again dishonest of you.  People with your view are 10x more dangerous than any white Trump supporter could ever be.

No one views murder as innocent fun but of course anarchist types.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #186 on: September 12, 2016, 01:48:12 AM »
« Edited: September 12, 2016, 01:50:28 AM by ag »

This is ridiculous and once again dishonest of you.  People with your view are 10x more dangerous than any white Trump supporter could ever be.

Well, seems like you are an anarchist then.

A deplorable anarchist.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #187 on: September 12, 2016, 01:58:23 AM »

This is ridiculous and once again dishonest of you.  People with your view are 10x more dangerous than any white Trump supporter could ever be.

Well, seems like you are an anarchist then.

A deplorable anarchist.

No more than far leftist posters that believe 50% of the other political parties voters should be exiled from the country Smiley 

I was referring to those anarchists that also partake in disruptions of political events and other constitutional protected activities.   Ag you approve of that type of stuff right?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #188 on: September 12, 2016, 01:59:24 AM »

Ag you approve of that type of stuff right?

I am a solid conservative, who believes in the traditional right of vigorous protest, yes.

But, unlike you, I dislike murder and murderers.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #189 on: September 12, 2016, 02:02:55 AM »

I am a solid conservative, who believes in the traditional right of vigorous violent protest, yes.

Fixed.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #190 on: September 12, 2016, 02:04:57 AM »

I am a solid conservative, who believes in the traditional right of vigorous violent protest, yes.

Fixed.

I am happy you do no disagree about your personal predilection for outright murder. I can respect honesty, even if it comes from a self-declared fascist (though, of course, I still detest the fascist).

Have you stopped participating in lynchings?
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #191 on: September 12, 2016, 02:10:14 AM »

Fixed.

I am happy you do no disagree about your personal predilection for outright murder. I can respect honesty, even if it comes from a self-declared fascist (though, of course, I still detest the fascist).

Have you stopped participating in the sell of aborted fetuses ?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #192 on: September 12, 2016, 02:11:50 AM »
« Edited: September 12, 2016, 02:14:29 AM by ag »

Fixed.

No. Alas, I do not get enough of those anymore. Too much competition in this business.

You should learn how to answer simple questions.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #193 on: September 12, 2016, 02:22:27 AM »

Fixed.

No. Alas, I do not get enough of those anymore. Too much competition in this business.

For a moderator you shouldn't post such ridiculous nonsense.

You should maybe delete your account.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #194 on: September 12, 2016, 02:23:10 AM »

Fixed.

For a moderator you shouldn't post such ridiculous nonsense.

You should maybe delete your account.

Nonsense? I am damn serious here. Nothing like a juicy foetus for a steak.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #195 on: September 12, 2016, 02:58:53 AM »

Had anyone ever heard the expression "basket of deplorables" before?

Was this focus-group tested, or was it due to an adverse drug reaction?
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #196 on: September 12, 2016, 03:02:50 AM »

You really think you are, don't you? Grin
Being stupid = being stupid. No more, no less Smiley

Smiley
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #197 on: September 12, 2016, 03:12:27 AM »

I see, your masculinity has recovered after... you know what Smiley

Keep update us! Smiley
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #198 on: September 12, 2016, 06:35:03 AM »

I see, your masculinity has recovered ...

Never had it. And hope never to have it.
Monolith
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.82, S: -2.31

« Reply #199 on: September 12, 2016, 11:13:09 AM »
« Edited: September 12, 2016, 11:18:52 AM by Monolith »

In a race with such an unprecedented amount of mudslinging, this is fairly tame. I miss when "47%" and "Binders of women" were race-losing scandals.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies