Is "basket of deplorables" Hillary's 47% moment?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:31:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is "basket of deplorables" Hillary's 47% moment?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13
Poll
Question: -skip-
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 233

Author Topic: Is "basket of deplorables" Hillary's 47% moment?  (Read 23313 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2016, 01:36:05 PM »

My earlier post still standing, I still find it disingenuous that Clinton says "Make America Whole Again" and talks of unity while simultaneously castigating 25% of the country. I know that wasn't the point she was actually trying to make, but the optics are just hilariously bad.  
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2016, 01:38:06 PM »

No, it's sad, though, because there's some truth to it.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2016, 01:38:45 PM »

Kinda looks like a backing down, sorta.    Oh well.

Impossible. Atlas told me this was going to help her.

Shes not backing down though...
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2016, 01:43:20 PM »

I don't really know how you read that statement and get "backing down" from it...
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2016, 01:44:09 PM »

She really said that only saying "half" was wrong. So Hillary thinks that there is a segment of Trump supporters who are racist and stuff, it just isn't 50%. And she's right, it's much more than that.
Southern Delegate matthew27
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -1.22

« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2016, 01:47:14 PM »

Anyone that could stand by Trump for all the insulting and ugly crap that he has said is kind of deplorable. Of course she can't say this reality.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2016, 01:49:45 PM »

She really said that only saying "half" was wrong. So Hillary thinks that there is a segment of Trump supporters who are racist and stuff, it just isn't 50%. And she's right, it's much more than that.
Lol, yeah, it is exactly what she meant Smiley
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2016, 01:51:18 PM »

I don't see it as backing down at all.  I see her Facebook statement as a reinforcement of what needs to come out--an acknowledgment that a sizable percentage of Trump's support comes from the dark side.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2016, 01:58:11 PM »

My earlier post still standing, I still find it disingenuous that Clinton says "Make America Whole Again" and talks of unity while simultaneously castigating 25% of the country. I know that wasn't the point she was actually trying to make, but the optics are just hilariously bad.  

So what are you saying ?
That trump is a candidate who talks/brings division and not "unity" ?
And since his campaign is based on dividing, and attracting the "deplorables," then we cant hold that against him (or "those" supporters) ?
Talk about denial.
It's also a poor attempt on your part to deflect from the actual message (FAIL!).
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2016, 02:06:21 PM »

No,

She is 100% right and this plays into her alt-right speech.
Yes. It could and should put another nail in her coffin.

She is a despicable human being that has no business running a campaign that degenerates good taxpaying Americans. There will be revenge here. At the ballot box.

Lyin' Crooked Hillary needs to go back to Chappaqua where she belongs and annoy Bill Clinton for the rest of his miserable life.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2016, 02:10:31 PM »

She shouldn't have said it that way. Tact is always a better route to take.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2016, 02:39:27 PM »

She is a despicable human being that has no business running a campaign that degenerates good taxpaying Americans.

So, I guess good, taxpaying Americans are "racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic — you name it." That's who she was talking about - racists, sexists, xenophobes. You know, "good" Americans.

If you want to know more about what she said about the other half:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

HOW INSULTING! Oh, wait.

"If you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, the one that yelps is the one you hit."
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2016, 02:44:51 PM »

The guy insults and attacks
-Mexicans
-Blacks
-The disabled
-our veterans
-women

Yet, hillary stating the obvious suppose to be wrong? lol...

Trump is deplorable.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2016, 02:58:12 PM »

No,

She is 100% right and this plays into her alt-right speech.

She is a despicable human being that has no business running a campaign that degenerates good taxpaying Americans. There will be revenge here. At the ballot box.

Lyin' Crooked Hillary needs to go back to Chappaqua where she belongs and annoy Bill Clinton for the rest of his miserable life.

You are a piece of work. Trump spews all kinds of sh**t about all kinds of people, and Hillary makes ONE statement that disparages some of Trump supporters, and you reply with all this garbage.

You have earned the right to be ignored.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2016, 03:04:10 PM »

You are a piece of work. Trump spews all kinds of sh**t about all kinds of people, and Hillary makes ONE statement that disparages some of Trump supporters, and you reply with all this garbage.

You could probably find Seriously? in the basket of deplorables. A case study on him and the idea of double standards would be pretty fantastic if you ask me. His ability to completely ignore Trump's own issues while screaming at the top of his lungs about Clinton's is remarkable. It doesn't even matter if they do the same thing - it's awful/corrupt/etc when Clinton does it, and completely fine / didn't even happen if Trump does it. Barely any proof required if it's a 'scandal' involving Clinton, but if the same scandal involves Trump, the highest burden of proof is required. Every detail must be confirmed and presented.

He's either a disturbingly-dedicated troll or hypocritical as hell, and I can't help but wonder how this kind of behavior translates into other aspects of his life.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2016, 03:06:18 PM »

Yes, and just like Romney, she's right.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2016, 03:10:21 PM »

You could probably find Seriously? in the basket of deplorables. A case study on him and the idea of double standards would be pretty fantastic if you ask me. His ability to completely ignore Trump's own issues while screaming at the top of his lungs about Clinton's is remarkable. It doesn't even matter if they do the same thing - it's awful/corrupt/etc when Clinton does it, and completely fine / didn't even happen if Trump does it. Barely any proof required if it's a 'scandal' involving Clinton, but if the same scandal involves Trump, the highest burden of proof is required. Every detail must be confirmed and presented.

He's either a disturbingly-dedicated troll or hypocritical as hell, and I can't help but wonder how this kind of behavior translates into other aspects of his life.

I think you nailed his butt to a T.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2016, 03:10:40 PM »

For those who think she's wrong: please look up #economicanxiety on twitter, please look up that video the New York Times put up showing the behavior inside of Trump rallies, look up Katy Tur talking about her experiences going to many Trump rallies with a prominent Trump surrogate in the room, look at the movements that have popped up thanks to Donald Trump, look at the rising prominence of white supremacists, look at the mainstreaming of figures like Alex Jones...

I could go on and on and on. No I don't think all Trump supporters are racist, I don't even think half are. But you can't deny the effect of Trump's campaign in bringing out racists and bigots and giving them legitimacy.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2016, 03:14:30 PM »

She's too nice and lowballed it.  Trump backers are the dregs of humanity, the [inks]stain on the boxers of American democracy.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2016, 03:15:33 PM »

For those who think she's wrong: please look up #economicanxiety on twitter, please look up that video the New York Times put up showing the behavior inside of Trump rallies, look up Katy Tur talking about her experiences going to many Trump rallies with a prominent Trump surrogate in the room, look at the movements that have popped up thanks to Donald Trump, look at the rising prominence of white supremacists, look at the mainstreaming of figures like Alex Jones...

I could go on and on and on. No I don't think all Trump supporters are racist, I don't even think half are. But you can't deny the effect of Trump's campaign in bringing out racists and bigots and giving them legitimacy.

It's not about being right or wrong. In my opinion, the point is....some things don't need to be said out loud. Tact goes a long way towards being "stronger together". Hillary didn't have to say it that way. Period.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2016, 03:39:14 PM »

Yes, and just like Romney, she's right.

If you seriously agree with Romney that 100% of Solid D voters are moochers, then you are not an independent.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2016, 03:41:40 PM »

As always, those from the party of "tolerance" think they are better than those that dare to be different and not vote for their guy.

Your level of Alinsky-like ridicule will do nothing to change my mind or shut up.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2016, 03:49:29 PM »
« Edited: September 10, 2016, 03:51:55 PM by JerryArkansas »

It's not about being right or wrong. In my opinion, the point is....some things don't need to be said out loud. Tact goes a long way towards being "stronger together". Hillary didn't have to say it that way. Period.
At some point being nice to people who are morally reprehensible will get you no where.  Screw being nice and making those who are deplorable feel bad.  They should feel like sh**t for supporting that.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2016, 03:55:47 PM »

As always, those from the party of "tolerance" think they are better than those that dare to be different and not vote for their guy.

Your level of Alinsky-like ridicule will do nothing to change my mind or shut up.

In his view, to be intolerant of intolerance is intolerance so in his mind, he is vindicated in the fact that tolerance doesn't exist.
Reginald
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2016, 04:04:27 PM »

Not sure. It's pretty bold, especially for this particular campaign. Like, it should go without saying that all of this was pretty clearly premeditated. Let's not forget that this is Hillary Clinton.

Her """"""backtrack"""""" is only for that minor "half" detail. "Okay I didn't mean that literally half of Trump's supporters are terrible people, but now that you're listening let me pontificate for a moment."

Plus, "basket of deplorables" is such a strange turn of phrase; she wants this to be remembered. Not exactly trying to whisper this in secret to her donors. My guess is she's trying a few things at once here: galvanize the base, test this line of attack with undecideds and the more ambiguous "educated whites" section of her support, and make it more likely she gets asked about this type of thing at the debates, where she has the opportunity to more consequentially make her point. It is risky for sure though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies