SB 2016-027: Anti-Terror Coalition Resolution (Debating)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:40:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 2016-027: Anti-Terror Coalition Resolution (Debating)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: SB 2016-027: Anti-Terror Coalition Resolution (Debating)  (Read 2056 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 09, 2016, 02:54:55 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Cris
Co-Sponsors: Blair, Tmthforu94

72 hours for debate. The sponsor is welcome to speak on the bill.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 11:22:43 PM »

I like the spirit behind this bill, but I think it needs to define "historic allies" that are eligible for weapons and funding.  I don't know if there are any safeguards that can be implemented to prevent those weapons from falling to terrorist groups or rogue states.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 02:59:17 AM »

Atlasia can't defeat ISIS and other terror groups alone. I think the right thing is an international coalition composed by all countries except those suspected to have ties with terror groups.

This coalition would coordinate military projects, intelligence operations and air strikes (we are not speaking of operations on the ground).
Atlasia can give funds and weapons only to our historic allies and not to countries like Russia that might use that funds and weapons against us.

The Congress can't legislate on this, considered that we can't force other foreign countries to form an alliance, and so, if this resolution will pass, our Secretary of State will meet with the other heads of state to build this coalition. We, as Congress, are giving to the Secretary of State a clear mandate and a clear framework for the negotiations and the composition/work of the coalition.

Obviously this is just a start point. This resolution needs to be improved.

I like the spirit behind this bill, but I think it needs to define "historic allies" that are eligible for weapons and funding.  I don't know if there are any safeguards that can be implemented to prevent those weapons from falling to terrorist groups or rogue states.
In the original draft, the SoS determinate the composition of the group of historic allies, but if a majority wants, the Congress might determinate the composition of the group.
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 02:57:52 PM »

I echo all the concerns regarding the definition of "historic allies". The bill will be worthless if Saudi Arabia (the motherload of vile and subhuman jihadist filth) is included.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 06:47:55 AM »

The others?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 07:04:02 AM »

On principle, I would prefer that Congress have more influence on foreign policy and matters concerning war.  The former SOEA Department used to propose an annual or semi-annual outline of our relationships with foreign states and I believe the Senate would have an up-or-down vote on it.  I think we should bring something back along those lines and use that to determine who we form our coalition with.

For that, it might behoove us to ask Secretary Truman to write up such a list.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 02:10:20 PM »

Sorry for my late response.

Would people, including Senator Cris be happy to have an amendment that would focus on Libya; as well as legislating action in Syria and Iraq against Daesh
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 03:25:37 AM »

Sorry for my late response.

Would people, including Senator Cris be happy to have an amendment that would focus on Libya; as well as legislating action in Syria and Iraq against Daesh
I'm looking forward to see it. Smiley
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 11:31:22 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 12:31:26 PM »

I have some doubts on various changes:
- Not including nations that supports Assad means that Russia is not included. Russia is a big potence and I think their help is necessary. Even the recent US-Russia negotations are going toward this direction.
- Removing the referement to the countries suspected to have ties with ISIS. A nation might be committed to fight ISIS, but on the other hand it might have secret ties with ISIS.

A question:
- By removing the part about funds and weapons, we are making clear that we'll not give funds and weapons to any nation, including our allies, right?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 05:04:05 PM »

- Not including nations that supports Assad means that Russia is not included. Russia is a big potence and I think their help is necessary. Even the recent US-Russia negotations are going toward this direction.
- Removing the referement to the countries suspected to have ties with ISIS. A nation might be committed to fight ISIS, but on the other hand it might have secret ties with ISIS.

A question:
- By removing the part about funds and weapons, we are making clear that we'll not give funds and weapons to any nation, including our allies, right?

Oh I'm happy to include Russia (as in RL the US have been doing for the last two years) by means of virtually coordinating airspace- the amendment doesn't stop that.

I removed the part about suspected ties to ISIS namely to deal with Saudi Arabia; a country that I have many issues with (including their war crimes in the Yemen civil war) As a country there's links from funding circles to ISIS (In the same way that US indiviudals had 'links' to the IRA) I feel that Saudi Arabia for all their faults have a role to play in defeating ISIS.

I removed the other clause to allow us to have options- would Iraq have counted as a 'historic ally'? I assumed that regardless of this bill we'd continue to have bi-lateral arms deals?
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 06:03:44 AM »

A question:

Oh I'm happy to include Russia (as in RL the US have been doing for the last two years) by means of virtually coordinating airspace- the amendment doesn't stop that.

I removed the part about suspected ties to ISIS namely to deal with Saudi Arabia; a country that I have many issues with (including their war crimes in the Yemen civil war) As a country there's links from funding circles to ISIS (In the same way that US indiviudals had 'links' to the IRA) I feel that Saudi Arabia for all their faults have a role to play in defeating ISIS.

I removed the other clause to allow us to have options- would Iraq have counted as a 'historic ally'? I assumed that regardless of this bill we'd continue to have bi-lateral arms deals?
"Historic allies" is just a denomination. If it causes problems, it might be changed. The list of countries that might receive funds and weapons from Atlasia would be determined by the Secretary of State or by Congress itself.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 06:21:16 AM »

Could we tie arms deals into the bill about individual countries?
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 05:05:10 PM »

Having had the opportunity to review this bill prior to its introduction on the Senate floor, I am very happy with the progress that has been made in debate so far. This will make the coalition building process much easier once we actually have a GM, and I thank the Senate for their diligence and attention to detail.

On the matter of "historic allies": as I recall, this designation was one of the suggestions I made to Cris when he sent me his original version of the bill. I felt it was important to draw a distinction between countries like France and Britain, with whom we have longstanding and constructive relationships, and countries like Russia, with whom we will need to cooperate to defeat ISIL but who, for obvious reasons, should not be the recipients of Atlasian arms. The idea, as Scott inferred, was for the State Department to draw up a list of these "historic allies" in conjunction with Congress. It seems Blair's most recent amendment struck out the section dealing with military aid, so this may be a moot point, but if the Senate decides to reinstate that section, I would want to see some version of the "historic allies" clause retained.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2016, 05:23:38 PM »

I was waiting to see if there would be amendments to the amendment, but seeing as there hasn't been, I'll allow 24 hours for objections to the amendment Senator Blair proposed on September 13th.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2016, 09:37:49 PM »

Blair's amendment has been adopted. Debate resumes.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2016, 04:49:37 AM »

Does anybody have an further issues with this?
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2016, 11:31:25 AM »

I agree with the Secretary of State. I think there shall be some version of the "historic allies" clause.

Also, we are saying that countries supporting Assad are not permitted in the coalition and that our country will collaborate with the coalition, so this means that Russia is not permitted in the coalition and that we can't collaborate with Russia.

This bill needs to be amended more.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2016, 11:51:48 AM »

I agree with the Secretary of State. I think there shall be some version of the "historic allies" clause.

Also, we are saying that countries supporting Assad are not permitted in the coalition and that our country will collaborate with the coalition, so this means that Russia is not permitted in the coalition and that we can't collaborate with Russia.

Yes; that's my intention.

I'm happy for Atlasia to work with Russia, and to coordinate but I don't support being in a military coalition with them especially after the recent air strike on the aid convey
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2016, 10:41:27 AM »

If there is no additional debate, I will open a final vote this evening.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2016, 11:06:52 AM »

Please wait... I have a doubt about a thing.

Yes; that's my intention.

I'm happy for Atlasia to work with Russia, and to coordinate but I don't support being in a military coalition with them especially after the recent air strike on the aid convey
In the current version of the bill we are speaking just of the coalition and there's nothing about coordinating with Russia. Maybe there shall be some clause about it.

Honestly, I think Russia shall be included in that coalition and my intention was that of introducing an amendment removing the part referred to Assad allies. But first of doing that I'd like to know what are the Secretary of State's thoughts on the issue.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2016, 05:53:27 PM »

I strongly object to a final vote at this time.

What's the plan for determining our allies here?  Is the Secretary to propose a list of potential allies for us to sign off on?  Will this government have the power to remove members of the coalition that we suspect have gone rogue?  Do we know if other heads of state will sign on?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2016, 05:58:23 PM »

Sure, keep debating. There just hadn't been debate in 2 days, so I wanted to make sure the ball was still rolling. Smiley
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2016, 05:27:06 PM »

I'm going to jump in ( since I think I will be confirmed in time for the vote?) I do not believe certain nations in the Middle East can be trusted to be a part of this coalition, some of the Gulf States have been proven to be bankrolling Islamic State ( or at the very least did initially) and have made very little strides to try and help us with IS when we needed them to.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2016, 03:02:04 AM »

I'm going to jump in ( since I think I will be confirmed in time for the vote?) I do not believe certain nations in the Middle East can be trusted to be a part of this coalition, some of the Gulf States have been proven to be bankrolling Islamic State ( or at the very least did initially) and have made very little strides to try and help us with IS when we needed them to.

To be factious countries like Saudi Arabia themselves haven't been directly funding ISIS.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/saudiarabia/12127916/Saudi-Arabia-funds-moderate-Muslims-not-Isil.html
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies