Rick Santorum blames liberalism for the Church Sex Scandal
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:12:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Rick Santorum blames liberalism for the Church Sex Scandal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Rick Santorum blames liberalism for the Church Sex Scandal  (Read 6093 times)
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2005, 12:20:10 AM »

I think we know he doesn't care at all any more. Look at his approval rating! Tongue

His approval ratings always bounce back. He's only got into the 40s twice in the past two and a half years.
But the past two and a half years weren't under a year until the next primaries begin. Stupid statements such as these by Santorum will come back and bite him in the ass in 2006.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2005, 03:26:59 AM »

Phil, he's done. GET OVER IT!
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2005, 08:13:13 AM »

incorrect.

casey will lose. 
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2005, 08:20:02 AM »

Wow.  This guy just doesn't stop putting his foot in his mouth does he??

It is startling that those in the media and academia appear most disturbed by this aberrant behavior, since they have zealously promoted moral relativism by sanctioning "private" moral matters such as alternative lifestyles. Priests, like all of us, are affected by culture. When the culture is sick, every element in it becomes infected. While it is no excuse for this scandal, it is no surprise that Boston, a seat of academic, political and cultural liberalism in America, lies at the center of the storm.

http://www.catholic.org/featured/headline.php?ID=30

Wow, he hit the nail on the head with that comment.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2005, 04:08:51 PM »

Awesome argument.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2005, 04:11:09 PM »

I think we know he doesn't care at all any more. Look at his approval rating! Tongue

His approval ratings always bounce back. He's only got into the 40s twice in the past two and a half years.
But the past two and a half years weren't under a year until the next primaries begin. Stupid statements such as these by Santorum will come back and bite him in the ass in 2006.

His gay comments received a lot of coverage. His approval ratings stayed the same. These statements will get hardly any attention and even if they do, I can guarentee that people won't care at all.

The only real reason Santorum will lose in 2006 is because Casey is a Casey. That's it. People like Santorum here and even if he's defeated, I bet they still approve of him as a person and as a Senator.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2005, 05:11:26 PM »

His gay comments received a lot of coverage. His approval ratings stayed the same. These statements will get hardly any attention and even if they do, I can guarentee that people won't care at all.

The only real reason Santorum will lose in 2006 is because Casey is a Casey. That's it. People like Santorum here and even if he's defeated, I bet they still approve of him as a person and as a Senator.

You seem to almost put him in God status there.  That is certaintly not the case, he has one of the lowest approval ratings of any Senator & among the highest disapproval ratings of any Senator.  Do some people like him??  Yes, but he isn't remotley as popular as you try to imply.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2005, 05:15:07 PM »

But  what I'm saying is that he was not running for anything at that time. Now he is. Now he will have to worry about Casey using his (Santorum's) consistantly idiotic statements in attack ads, and losing re-election. He was using the fact that the senate race had not begun as free pass to make himself like a jerkass.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2005, 05:15:57 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2005, 05:26:53 PM by Keystone Phil »

[quote author=Keystone Phil

You seem to almost put him in God status there.  That is certaintly not the case, he has one of the lowest approval ratings of any Senator & among the highest disapproval ratings of any Senator.  Do some people like him??  Yes, but he isn't remotley as popular as you try to imply.

Because I said people like him, I have him in God status? You're such a hack with such poor arguments.

Look at his Quinnipiac approval ratings. Look how they only dipped into the 40s twice. More people put Rendell is God status than Santorum and you don't give a damn so don't even start.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2005, 05:18:01 PM »

But  what I'm saying is that he was not running for anything at that time. Now he is. Now he will have to worry about Casey using his (Santorum's) consistantly idiotic statements in attack ads, and losing re-election. He was using the fact that the senate race had not begun as free pass to make himself like a jerkass.

And Casey has had some harmful quotes in the past, like when he said he didn't see himself running for anything anytime soon if he lost the 2002 Dem primary. Sure they aren't controversial like Santorum's but it has more relation to the Senate race.

People know Santorum's quotes. I know he'll be running in 2006 but they were familiar with them before. They won't care.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2005, 05:26:02 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Of course show the poll results that you like as opposed to the most recent polls....

Anyway my point is you seem to act like Santorum is very very popular, his ratings don't show that.  He CURRENTLY has one of the lowest approval ratings in the Senate & one of the highest disapproval ratings in the senate
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2005, 05:26:26 PM »

People know Santorum's quotes. I know he'll be running in 2006 but they were familiar with them before. They won't care.

You hope.

I have a pretty strong feeling. Look at what happened after his comments about gays. His approval rating hardly budged. He's consistently had good approval ratings and some of the lowest disapprovals but the Santorum haters won't hear that.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2005, 05:29:44 PM »

Of course show the poll results that you like as opposed to the most recent polls....

That's what we've been going with for awhile. That's what most Pennsylvania posters go by. That's what I'll continue to go by even if Santorum falls to 40%. I'm not a hack like you.

No, I don't. I say he's popular. I say he's well liked. You guys are just as guilty with your Rendell worship yet he's in worse condition in these ratings than Santorum!

He CURRENTLY has one of the lowest in ONE poll. I'm not going to take the word of that one poll which is put out every five months or so over a more frequent, more accurate poll. You are the one that just picks and chooses what poll to go by whenever, not me.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2005, 05:33:01 PM »

You hope.

I have a pretty strong feeling. Look at what happened after his comments about gays. His approval rating hardly budged. He's consistently had good approval ratings and some of the lowest disapprovals but the Santorum haters won't hear that.

Where are his approvals NOW, where are his disapprovals NOW,

Granted people know about his past comments, however the vast majorit of his controversal comments have come during this Senate term.  Also he ran in 94 & 2000 as a Moderate-Conservative, he can't do that anymore.  While you may disagreee that he isn't a far right conservative.  He can be portrayed as a far right conservative much easier now than in 00 or 94 because of his comments.  I do think he is far-right, I know you disagree, but thats not the point I am trying to make, how he can be portrayed is the point I am trying to make, and you can't deny his comments doesn't make it easier to portray him as far right now than it was to portray him that way 5 years ago
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2005, 05:37:00 PM »

That's what we've been going with for awhile. That's what most Pennsylvania posters go by. That's what I'll continue to go by even if Santorum falls to 40%. I'm not a hack like you.

No, I don't. I say he's popular. I say he's well liked. You guys are just as guilty with your Rendell worship yet he's in worse condition in these ratings than Santorum!

He CURRENTLY has one of the lowest in ONE poll. I'm not going to take the word of that one poll which is put out every five months or so over a more frequent, more accurate poll. You are the one that just picks and chooses what poll to go by whenever, not me.

I am going by the MOST RECENT POLL.  I am not picking & choosing which poll to use, I am using the most RECENT POLL.  And in the most recent poll Rendell's ratings are better than Santorum's, a little better, but better nonetheless (Rendell 48-43, Santorum 45-44).  Anyway point about the poll is I am using the most recent poll.
PADem

« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2005, 05:37:15 PM »

Out of interest Phil, assuming (as is looking likely) Casey boots Santorum from his Senate seat... who is your new go-to-guy gonna be? Or are you a die-hard Santorumer for life?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2005, 05:39:27 PM »

Calm down, Smash. Quinnipiac should be coming out with new numbers soon. I don't know if you know this but approval/disapproval polls can't be done everyday.

Granted people know about his past comments, however the vast majorit of his controversal comments have come during this Senate term.  Also he ran in 94 & 2000 as a Moderate-Conservative, he can't do that anymore.  While you may disagreee that he isn't a far right conservative.  He can be portrayed as a far right conservative much easier now than in 00 or 94 because of his comments.  I do think he is far-right, I know you disagree, but thats not the point I am trying to make, how he can be portrayed is the point I am trying to make, and you can't deny his comments doesn't make it easier to portray him as far right now than it was to portray him that way 5 years ago

People knew about the comments. Why do you have so much trouble understand this, along with other, points? It received a lot of coverage. If people were to be outraged, they would have been outraged then. They aren't going to say, "Well, it's the middle of his term so I'll be mad later."

People have been portraying him as a far right Republican forever. I'm not worried about that.

And once again, if you want to have a debate about this, don't put so much in one post especially since you repeat things like "It's easier now to make him into a far right winger than 2000 and 1994 because of his comments and I know you disagree but it's easier now than it was five years ago because of his comments that have come within the past five years since his last race when he was not making these comments."
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2005, 05:41:23 PM »

Out of interest Phil, assuming (as is looking likely) Casey boots Santorum from his Senate seat... who is your new go-to-guy gonna be? Or are you a die-hard Santorumer for life?

Santorum will still remain my political hero. Unlike most, I don't just leave people because they aren't in office anymore.

And it may look likely now but let's not go by now. Casey was crushing Rendell in 2002 but Rendell turned it around. I think Casey is more likely to win but I don't judge it on the present outlook.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2005, 05:42:27 PM »

I am going by the MOST RECENT POLL.  I am not picking & choosing which poll to use, I am using the most RECENT POLL.  And in the most recent poll Rendell's ratings are better than Santorum's, a little better, but better nonetheless (Rendell 48-43, Santorum 45-44).  Anyway point about the poll is I am using the most recent poll.

You've ignored Quinnipiac in the past. You go by what makes the Dems look better, Smash. You're a huge hack.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2005, 05:46:31 PM »

Calm down, Smash. Quinnipiac should be coming out with new numbers soon. I don't know if you know this but approval/disapproval polls can't be done everyday.

People knew about the comments. Why do you have so much trouble understand this, along with other, points? It received a lot of coverage. If people were to be outraged, they would have been outraged then. They aren't going to say, "Well, it's the middle of his term so I'll be mad later."

People have been portraying him as a far right Republican forever. I'm not worried about that.

And once again, if you want to have a debate about this, don't put so much in one post especially since you repeat things like "It's easier now to make him into a far right winger than 2000 and 1994 because of his comments and I know you disagree but it's easier now than it was five years ago because of his comments that have come within the past five years since his last race when he was not making these comments."

I know approval polls don't come out every day.  I was just pointing out that I wasn't picking & choosing polls. I was using the most recent polls.  The last 2 polls were Survey USA polls, but having Santorum in the mid 40's.  When in this case when the polls are few & far between I will use the most reent poll especially when its somewhat recent as this one was (a few weeks ago).  I don't dismiss polls because I don't like the result, I just use the most recent (the exceptions are Rasmussen & Zogby who are just bad pollsters).  We will see what the Quinnipiac poll shows, but the point I was making is in the latest polls available, the most recent polls. Santorum has among the lowest approval ratings in the senate & among the highest disapproval ratinggs.  Its not my fault you choose to ignore the MOST RECENT poll
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2005, 05:49:01 PM »

Its not my fault you choose to ignore the MOST RECENT poll

I am consistent. I'm not going to sudden get off track with one of the most accurate polling institutes in the area to follow some drastic change in a poll that doesn't come out all that often.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2005, 05:52:19 PM »

You've ignored Quinnipiac in the past. You go by what makes the Dems look better, Smash. You're a huge hack.

When I have ignored Quinnipiac.  As I posted above I tend to go by the most recent poll.  Now if your talking about the argument we had back in January when you were using a poll from August thats something different, but their is a pretty big difference between the most recent poll being 3-4 weeks old & the most recent poll being five months old.  As I said in the post above I tend to go by the most recent poll, when several polls come ot within a short period of time I take them all into consideration.  I don't pick & choose polls, but I'm not exactly going to go by a poll thats 4-5 months old nor am I going to go by a poll thats 3 months old when their are other polls that are a few weeks old.  The only polls I really don't pay much attention to are Zogby & Rasmussen.  I don't just throw out a poll because I don't like, I put the stock into the ost recent polls period (unless we see their is a serious problem with the Democgraphics for example a national poll with 10% more Republicans in the poll than Dems, or 10% more Dems than Republicans)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2005, 05:54:32 PM »

I am consistent. I'm not going to sudden get off track with one of the most accurate polling institutes in the area to follow some drastic change in a poll that doesn't come out all that often.

I would say Survey USA is just about as accurate as Quinnipiac is.  Regardless as I said above I will tend to go with the most recent polls, unless its Zogby or Rasmussen.  It seems like you are just throwing out results you don't like.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2005, 05:58:57 PM »

I would say Survey USA is just about as accurate as Quinnipiac is.  Regardless as I said above I will tend to go with the most recent polls, unless its Zogby or Rasmussen.  It seems like you are just throwing out results you don't like.

Why not Rasmussen?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2005, 05:59:11 PM »

It seems like you are just throwing out results you don't like.

If that was the case, I'd throw out the most recent Santorum approval ratings since he slipped four points.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies