Rick Santorum blames liberalism for the Church Sex Scandal
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:16:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Rick Santorum blames liberalism for the Church Sex Scandal
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Rick Santorum blames liberalism for the Church Sex Scandal  (Read 6096 times)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 27, 2005, 04:50:18 PM »

Wow.  This guy just doesn't stop putting his foot in his mouth does he??

It is startling that those in the media and academia appear most disturbed by this aberrant behavior, since they have zealously promoted moral relativism by sanctioning "private" moral matters such as alternative lifestyles. Priests, like all of us, are affected by culture. When the culture is sick, every element in it becomes infected. While it is no excuse for this scandal, it is no surprise that Boston, a seat of academic, political and cultural liberalism in America, lies at the center of the storm.

http://www.catholic.org/featured/headline.php?ID=30
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 05:03:34 PM »

And what you fail to realize, my friend, is that no one in PA will care (except people that already despise Santorum).
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 05:07:30 PM »

And what you fail to realize, my friend, is that no one in PA will care (except people that already despise Santorum).

As his approval continues to drop drop drop....

Anyway I was just pointing out another absolutley insane comment out of his mouth.  Out of curiosity to you agree with his comments that liberalism is to blame for the sex scandal in the church??
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 05:09:31 PM »

And so does Rendell's put you never acknowledge that. By the way, when his numbers drop like they did last time, they usually bounce back pretty quickly. Plus, these comments have nothing to do with dropping ratings.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

When morals aren't being highlighted in culture, there tends to be these problems so I'd agree with Santorum. But to blame it just on liberalism? I don't agree. And Santorum never blamed it just on liberalism either.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 05:14:55 PM »

And so does Rendell's put you never acknowledge that. By the way, when his numbers drop like they did last time, they usually bounce back pretty quickly. Plus, these comments have nothing to do with dropping ratings.

When morals aren't being highlighted in culture, there tends to be these problems so I'd agree with Santorum. But to blame it just on liberalism? I don't agree. And Santorum never blamed it just on liberalism either.

As far as Rendell his approval isn't the greatest either I will admit that, but considering their opponents Santorum is in MUCH MORE trouble than Rendell is.

This has nothing to do with the so called "breakdown of culture".  Santorum did try to blame it on liberalssim & its utterly absurd.  The reason why this has become the problem in the church that it is. is because of the coverups the preist transfers & crap like that, NOT liberalsim & NOT "the break down of culture" his comments ONCE AGAIN are utterly ABSURD
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 05:25:21 PM »

As far as Rendell his approval isn't the greatest either I will admit that, but considering their opponents Santorum is in MUCH MORE trouble than Rendell is.

Well I wasn't talking about the election. I just wanted you to admit that Rendell's approvals are about the same as Santorum's.

Not exposing the problem was the fault of the Church. He was referring to why the actual molestations took place and that can be attributed to a breakdown of culture.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 05:28:56 PM »

Santorum needs to talk more about puppies and less about liberals. Smiley
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 05:38:54 PM »

Well I wasn't talking about the election. I just wanted you to admit that Rendell's approvals are about the same as Santorum's.

Not exposing the problem was the fault of the Church. He was referring to why the actual molestations took place and that can be attributed to a breakdown of culture.

Granted their approvals are about the same, but the main reason Santorum's approval numbers get talked about more is because of the fact he faces a much stronger opponent than Rendell does.  Mark Dewine's approval was actually slightly lower than Santorum's but your not going to hear all that much about it because of the differencial in opponents.

Anywya a big part of the molestation problem came from the cover up.  Thats why in some cases preisst molested 100 boys as opposed to 5.  The breakdown of culture has nothing to do with the scandal thats not what caused it.  Priests didn't molest boys because of the breakdown in culture.  Thats kind of similar to the argument that violent lyrics, movies & video games lead to increased violence, which is extremely absurd when you look at how violent media in this country rose during the 90's yet violent crime dropped sharply. 

He pointed out Boston as being  very liberal as so called "proof" as to show how liberalism influenced this probelm because Boston has had many cases involving this problem.  Well that argument is kind of absurd considering how densley the population of Catholics is in the Boston area.  Its a problem within the Catholic church, of course its going to be a bigger problem in Boston area than lets say Houston area because the Catholic population in th e Boston area is much larger than the Catholic population in the Houston area.  Thats not like saying New York City is more dangerous than Philadelphia because their are more murders in NYC than Philly.  Its an absurd argument to make because New York City's population is much larger than Philly, so it makes sense that their are going to be more murders there.  The reason why Boston has been at the center of the probelm has to do with the very large Catholic population as well the cover up & priest moving than it does with "liberalism" as your idiotic hero tries to portray.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 05:49:44 PM »

Granted their approvals are about the same, but the main reason Santorum's approval numbers get talked about more is because of the fact he faces a much stronger opponent than Rendell does.  Mark Dewine's approval was actually slightly lower than Santorum's but your not going to hear all that much about it because of the differencial in opponents.

His opponent is not the reason for him slipping. People like Santorum here and if he loses, they still will. They just prefer Casey.

You don't see more "tolerant" groups like NAMBLA as a reason to blame for increased molestation?

He's not trying to portray it as proof. He said that there happens to be a relation and that there is "no surprise." And your coverup theory is not making sense. Santorum is referring to the actual molestation. People don't molest others because of coverups. You need to stop copying and pasting from DU and use that object known as a brain when you post.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 06:00:03 PM »

Rick Santorum must be Richius.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2005, 06:06:13 PM »

His opponent is not the reason for him slipping. People like Santorum here and if he loses, they still will. They just prefer Casey.

You don't see more "tolerant" groups like NAMBLA as a reason to blame for increased molestation?

He's not trying to portray it as proof. He said that there happens to be a relation and that there is "no surprise." And your coverup theory is not making sense. Santorum is referring to the actual molestation. People don't molest others because of coverups. You need to stop copying and pasting from DU and use that object known as a brain when you post.

I know Casey isn't the reason Santorum's approval ghas dropped.  Point I was making is having a lower approval hurts more when you have a strong opponent than it does when you don't hence it gets talked about more for Santorum  If you can't agree with that I just don't know what else to say. 

Nambla isn't the reason for molestation problems among Priests.  They are a disgusting group I agree with you on that, but priests aren't moletsing boys because of groups like Nambla

He is trying to blame liberalism for the sex scandals in the church by pointing out Boston.  Thats completley absurd.  It has nothing to do with liberalsim.  It just happens to be a bigger problem in Boston because of the high amount & large % of Catholics in Boston compared to the rest of the country.  To blame it on liberalism is absurd.  I never said the priest transfer is the 'cause' of the problem, but the coverups & molestation has certainly made the problem worse than it would have if the situation was handled correctly.  Once again he specifcally pointed out Boston as" a seat of academic, political and cultural liberalism in America, lies at the center of the storm"  to try to portray the connection with liberalism to the problem when its just not the case.  The problem in Boston tends to be bigger because of the high concentration of Catholics in the area, just like the probelm of violence & murder in NYC will seem to be worse than in other cities because NYC tends to have more cases, but thats due to a higher population.  Their is no question that the problem in Boston got as big as it did because of the coverups & the priest transfers.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2005, 06:11:13 PM »

But we weren't even talking about opponents here. This isn't really a campaign related discussion. I don't know why you can't grasp that point.

NAMBLA is seen in our culture, correct? It is a voice in our culture that tolerates, no...encourages, these "relationships," correct?

The coverups aren't the point of his damn comments, Smash. Why can't you understand this point?

The reason why the scandal blew up was because of coverups. Santorum is commenting on what brought about the act that was covered up.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2005, 06:29:54 PM »

But we weren't even talking about opponents here. This isn't really a campaign related discussion. I don't know why you can't grasp that point.

NAMBLA is seen in our culture, correct? It is a voice in our culture that tolerates, no...encourages, these "relationships," correct?

The coverups aren't the point of his damn comments, Smash. Why can't you understand this point?

The reason why the scandal blew up was because of coverups. Santorum is commenting on what brought about the act that was covered up.

Your the one who brought up rendell's approval #'s.  I was just commenting on the reasons why more of an issue is mae out of Santorum's approval ratings.

Your right on Nambla & they are utterly disgusting, but to say Preists are molesting kids because of Nambla is absurd.  I know Santorum didn't mention the cover ups, I was simply pointing out how the coverups made the problem even worse.  Santorum was trying to discuss what caused the problem, but to try to equate it with liberalsim is utterly absurd.  To point to Boston by mentioning how liberal Boston is there & the problem was pretty big in Boston because of liberalism is absurd.  The main reason why the problem tended to be bigger in Boston is not due to liberalism its due to the higher concentration of Catholics in Boston than the other areas.  Also the problem in Boston was escalated by the amount of coverups going on by those in top positions in the church in Boston.  The coverups did eventually being everything down, but it was partially due to the coverups why the problem got so big in the first place.  If it was dealt with correctly the problems would not have gotten as big as it did.

While the coverups didn't cause the original problem it did make things worse, thats the point I was making.  He tried to single out Boston as being liberal and because it was liberal is why the problem was centered around Boston.  Thats simply not the case, the problem was centered around Boston  because of the high concentration of Catholics in Boston as opposed to other parts of the country.   The problem then grew in Boston and became even more centered in Boston because of the coverups which escalated the situation.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2005, 06:33:47 PM »

I was comparing Rendell's approval ratings with Santorum's. That's all. Nothing to do with an election. I was just trying to see if you'd admit Rendell's weak numbers.

Ok I never said they were molesting because of NAMBLA. Try and follow my points. Don't make up stuff. Thanks.

Oh and just because Boston is more heavily Catholic doesn't mean it will necessarily have more priest abuse problems.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2005, 06:46:15 PM »

I was comparing Rendell's approval ratings with Santorum's. That's all. Nothing to do with an election. I was just trying to see if you'd admit Rendell's weak numbers.

Ok I never said they were molesting because of NAMBLA. Try and follow my points. Don't make up stuff. Thanks.

Oh and just because Boston is more heavily Catholic doesn't mean it will necessarily have more priest abuse problems.

I admit Rendell's #'s I was just poiting out on why Santorums #'s get talked about more.

Anyway what Rick Santorum basically did was point to Boston as having the center of the problem, point to Boston has being liberal & say cause & effect.

It tends to make more sense than an area with a high concentration of Catholics will have more issues with Catholic Priest abuse than an area that has a lower concentation of Catholics.   Hence my point with NYC & Philly murder totals.  NYC is going to tend to have more incidents because of the higher population, similar to how a heavily Catholic area like the Boston area is going to tend to have more incidents of Catholic priest abuse than areas like Houston because of the fact their are many more Catholics & many more priests in the Boston area than Houston (hence a greater chance of having incidnets).  The problem in Boston was also compounded by the coverups & moving Priests around.   Some abusive priests were moved many many times so the amount of kids some of these priests had access to much greater than abusive priests from other areas making the problem even worse.  The coverups basically led to these abusive priests having acess to even more kids, which made the problem, and the amounts of kids molested even worse.  Boston centers around the problem because of the higher concentration of Catholics and the way the situation was handled with the coverups which made a bad situation even worse
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2005, 07:03:53 PM »

You repeat the same lines over and over again I don't know how many times in one post. It's ridiculous. I disagree with your conclusion as to why Boston was a problem. We're just not going to agree on it.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2005, 07:47:34 PM »

Please nominate this man for President.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2005, 07:58:19 PM »

And you nominate Hillary. Anybody but Hillary would be a lot stronger than Anybody but Santorum.

You have people attacking Santorum (like Smash) who gives this ridiculous argument and just repeats his lines over and over again. If Santorum gets the nomination, get this Smash guy a job on the Democratic candidate's campaign. I can bet that his repeating of his off-the-topic "answer" would bring in votes for Santorum.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2005, 10:35:00 PM »

And you nominate Hillary. Anybody but Hillary would be a lot stronger than Anybody but Santorum.

You have people attacking Santorum (like Smash) who gives this ridiculous argument and just repeats his lines over and over again. If Santorum gets the nomination, get this Smash guy a job on the Democratic candidate's campaign. I can bet that his repeating of his off-the-topic "answer" would bring in votes for Santorum.

Off the topic answer??  huh What??  Santorum was talking about the problem regarding the Sex Scandal in the Church.  He tried to pin it on liberalism by pointing to Boston saying how its the center of the problem, and that its a liberal city.  Basically trying to blame liberalisim for the problem.  That is utterly insane.  Yes their is a problem, however part of the reason it got so big was due to the cover up & the priest transfers & all that other crap.  That nmade an already bad problem worse.  Yes instead of adressing that the reason this problem got so bad according to your nutjob of a hero is because of 'liberals', that is utterly insane and as a liberal Catholic I take offense to his remarks of trying to pin the problem of Sexual abuse owithin the Catholic Church on liberals.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2005, 10:40:48 PM »

im still amazed that the great state of pennsylvania with its millions of residents cant find two better candidates than santorum and casey.

what a horrible choice.

third party anyone?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2005, 11:13:56 PM »

Off the topic answer??  huh What??  Santorum was talking about the problem regarding the Sex Scandal in the Church.  He tried to pin it on liberalism by pointing to Boston saying how its the center of the problem, and that its a liberal city.  Basically trying to blame liberalisim for the problem.  That is utterly insane.  Yes their is a problem, however part of the reason it got so big was due to the cover up & the priest transfers & all that other crap.  That nmade an already bad problem worse.  Yes instead of adressing that the reason this problem got so bad according to your nutjob of a hero is because of 'liberals', that is utterly insane and as a liberal Catholic I take offense to his remarks of trying to pin the problem of Sexual abuse owithin the Catholic Church on liberals.

You go on and on about the coverup which has nothing to do with his comments. And the worst part is that you call it "foot in mouth" when really someone only gets "foot in mouth" when they say something they'll later regret. Santorum won't regret because he believes it and people here won't care. Get over it!
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2005, 11:21:27 PM »

You go on and on about the coverup which has nothing to do with his comments. And the worst part is that you call it "foot in mouth" when really someone only gets "foot in mouth" when they say something they'll later regret. Santorum won't regret because he believes it and people here won't care. Get over it!

I know the coverup has nothing to do with his comments.  I'm simply pointing out the coverup to explain why the problem got as big as it did.  Anywy foot in the mouth doesn't always mean someone says something they later regret, it also means when someone says something utterly stupid like try to blame liberals for the sex scandal in the Catholic Church
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2005, 11:23:23 PM »

Anywy foot in the mouth doesn't always mean someone says something they later regret, it also means when someone says something utterly stupid like try to blame liberals for the sex scandal in the Catholic Church

Foot in mouth would mean that he'd regret the statements, Smash. Foot in mouth means there was a mistake. He doesn't see one. He doesn't care. The people of the state won't care. If you want to make an issue out of it, go ahead. But the people really won't care.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2005, 12:14:46 AM »

I think we know he doesn't care at all any more. Look at his approval rating! Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2005, 12:18:03 AM »

I think we know he doesn't care at all any more. Look at his approval rating! Tongue

His approval ratings always bounce back. He's only got into the 40s twice in the past two and a half years.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies