New Speaker Election Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:12:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  New Speaker Election Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25
Author Topic: New Speaker Election Thread  (Read 35232 times)
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: January 03, 2021, 12:44:39 AM »

Quote from: Ballot
For Speaker of the House:
[ 2 ] Rep. Joseph Cao
[ 1 ] SevenEleven
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #551 on: January 03, 2021, 02:16:12 AM »

Hold on everyone! Deepest apologies to Rep. Poirot, who I forgot to include on the ballot even though he nominated himself. Since three members have already voted, I'll suspend the rules in the event that the three of them would like to post a change of their votes given the new information. If you don't post anything I'll just take that as keeping the status quo. Anyway, here's the real ballot: 

[   ] Poirot
[   ] Rep. Joseph Cao
[   ] SevenEleven
Harvey Updyke Jr🌹
jtsmd2
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -7.22

P P P
« Reply #552 on: January 03, 2021, 04:44:27 AM »

[ 2  ] Rep. Joseph Cao
[ 1  ] SevenEleven
[/quote]
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #553 on: January 03, 2021, 08:41:33 AM »

1. SevenEleven
2. Joseph Cao
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #554 on: January 03, 2021, 10:43:19 AM »

[3] Poirot
[2] Rep. Joseph Cao
[1] SevenEleven
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #555 on: January 03, 2021, 02:36:46 PM »

It's funny how SevenEleven called being Speaker "bitch work", but is getting elected to it now. This is somebody who never took up responsibility while being deputy speaker. I don't get why Labor is replacing such a qualified speaker who never even thought about abusing his power. Very typical of Labor!
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #556 on: January 04, 2021, 12:12:02 AM »

JosephCao
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #557 on: January 04, 2021, 02:19:24 AM »

It's funny how SevenEleven called being Speaker "bitch work", but is getting elected to it now. This is somebody who never took up responsibility while being deputy speaker. I don't get why Labor is replacing such a qualified speaker who never even thought about abusing his power. Very typical of Labor!

What? Lmao. I ran the House very well when in charge. Didn't have to do much when deputy speaker, sure, but this isn't an election for deputy speaker.
Harvey Updyke Jr🌹
jtsmd2
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -7.22

P P P
« Reply #558 on: January 04, 2021, 05:11:02 PM »

Heaven forbid the party in the majority pick a speaker from its ranks...
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #559 on: January 04, 2021, 11:47:34 PM »

1. Cao
2. Poirot

Since I am not receiving votes, I vote for the person who has been doing a good job.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #560 on: January 05, 2021, 12:49:06 AM »

What? Lmao. I ran the House very well when in charge. Didn't have to do much when deputy speaker, sure, but this isn't an election for deputy speaker.
Citation needed
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #561 on: January 05, 2021, 12:53:07 AM »

Citation needed

I was interim Speaker a while, before the current Speaker was elected.
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #562 on: January 06, 2021, 09:52:42 PM »

So sorry for the delay everyone. Allow me to cast my vote:

[X] SevenEleven
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #563 on: January 06, 2021, 09:55:50 PM »

• SevenEleven: 5 votes (Oregon Blue Dog, Harvey Updyke Jr, SevenEleven, FalterinArc, razze)
  • Rep. Joseph Cao: 4 votes (Rep. Joseph Cao, Jessica, DeadPrez, Poirot)

SevenEleven has been elected Speaker of the House.
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #564 on: January 06, 2021, 11:34:09 PM »

Apologies for not making it explicit like I did in March, but someone raised a concern. So I wanted to make it clear that I counted my own late vote, and allowed it as the presiding officer. I'm pretty sure I've been late more than once since then (including 2 months ago) without making this clear, but once again this is nothing that hasn't happened before. I'll make sure to say it next time

Yes I'll extend the Speaker vote. I wanted to wait for everyone else to vote before I cast my ballot this afternoon, but work ended up going much later than expected and here we are. Nothing that hasn't happened before, of course
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #565 on: January 07, 2021, 12:29:11 AM »

To add on to my previous message to Sev: once again, my congratulations on becoming Speaker. I wish you the best in leading the House into a session of productive and amicable debate and trust that this chamber will be in good hands as you take the gavel.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #566 on: January 07, 2021, 01:02:18 AM »

I thank the House for their vote of confidence and promise not to let you down! Thank you!
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #567 on: January 07, 2021, 01:05:51 AM »

I appoint Former Speaker Joseph Cao as Deputy Speaker. We have worked together before and I'm happy to do so once more!
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #568 on: January 07, 2021, 07:24:57 AM »

Apologies for not making it explicit like I did in March, but someone raised a concern. So I wanted to make it clear that I counted my own late vote, and allowed it as the presiding officer. I'm pretty sure I've been late more than once since then (including 2 months ago) without making this clear, but once again this is nothing that hasn't happened before. I'll make sure to say it next time

Yes I'll extend the Speaker vote. I wanted to wait for everyone else to vote before I cast my ballot this afternoon, but work ended up going much later than expected and here we are. Nothing that hasn't happened before, of course

You can't count late votes. The House rules I see when I follow the link on the noticeboard say:
2.) The most senior Representative, known as the Dean of Representatives, (seniority shall be determined by length of continuous service) who isn't on Leave of Absence, or the Representative chosen by the Dean, shall convene the House of Representative to elect a Speaker on the first day of each legislative session and when the office of Speaker is vacant. The House of Representatives shall elect a Speaker from among its members by majority consent within a 72-hour period. All votes cast following the 72-hour period shall be considered invalid. This period shall not be extended except if quorum has not been reached by the end of the voting period. In these cases, the Dean may extend the voting period for 24 hours. The Dean may terminate the voting period early if all Representatives have already cast their vote. with In the event of a tie, the Vice President shall be the deciding vote in electing the speaker.

The voting period was announced to be 48 hours in the thread. The House rules says 72 hours. Even after 72 hours the vote was a tie. It makes it clear All votes cast after 72 hours shall be considered invalid.

In the event of a tie the Vice President shall be the deciding vote. It will be interesting to see if the Vice President goes with voting for status quo like in many parliaments or with a partisan vote.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #569 on: January 07, 2021, 09:59:28 AM »

You can't count late votes. The House rules I see when I follow the link on the noticeboard say:
2.) The most senior Representative, known as the Dean of Representatives, (seniority shall be determined by length of continuous service) who isn't on Leave of Absence, or the Representative chosen by the Dean, shall convene the House of Representative to elect a Speaker on the first day of each legislative session and when the office of Speaker is vacant. The House of Representatives shall elect a Speaker from among its members by majority consent within a 72-hour period. All votes cast following the 72-hour period shall be considered invalid. This period shall not be extended except if quorum has not been reached by the end of the voting period. In these cases, the Dean may extend the voting period for 24 hours. The Dean may terminate the voting period early if all Representatives have already cast their vote. with In the event of a tie, the Vice President shall be the deciding vote in electing the speaker.

The voting period was announced to be 48 hours in the thread. The House rules says 72 hours. Even after 72 hours the vote was a tie. It makes it clear All votes cast after 72 hours shall be considered invalid.

In the event of a tie the Vice President shall be the deciding vote. It will be interesting to see if the Vice President goes with voting for status quo like in many parliaments or with a partisan vote.

With all due respect Mr. Poirot, a further reading of the rules tell us that "2.) The presiding officer may unilaterally suspend any section of these rules at any time, unless another Representative objects. If a Representative objects, suspending the rules shall require the consent of two-thirds of sitting Representatives."

Given that a. The members of the House have spoken, b. The provision above, c. The precedent cited by Representative Razze, and d. The concession and subsequent acceptance of a new position by the outgoing Speaker, I ask if you wish to file a formal objection here on this matter before we proceed.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #570 on: January 07, 2021, 05:34:24 PM »

I object
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #571 on: January 07, 2021, 05:36:48 PM »

Mr. Vice President, could you specify who you would break the tie for should Mr. Razze's vote be invalidated? I'd rather avoid a drawn-out charade if possible and if you specify your intention to vote for Sev this will be unnecessary.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #572 on: January 07, 2021, 05:57:21 PM »

I like both of these guys, but not enough to make y'all vote for three days so I can avoid choosing. Tongue

I am breaking the tie in favor of SevenEleven. I'm confident that he'll do the job and keep the House running smoothly.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #573 on: March 05, 2021, 01:15:07 PM »

I'm going to go ahead and bump this to the top, and while I'm at it I nominate Joseph Cao for speaker.
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #574 on: March 05, 2021, 01:28:22 PM »

Thank you for the bump

I will use my discretion to accept Ninja's early nomination of Cao, for the record
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies