Issues where 'your side' frustrates you
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:03:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Issues where 'your side' frustrates you
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Issues where 'your side' frustrates you  (Read 3091 times)
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2016, 07:03:08 AM »

Libertarians are plenty frustrating.  That's why the saying "it's like herding cats" is a true one.

The biggest one is this dumb battle over if Gary Johnson is a "real libertarian" or not or doesn't follow the principles 100% (like most really do? Yeah, right.) "No True Scotsman" in full effect!

Abortion being a divider.  Should just remove it from the platform and not even discuss it because one part of the libertarian movement or another won't agree.  When a question is posed just preface that this is your personal opinion.

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2016, 07:07:52 AM »

1. Establishment of Constantinople as its own independent country and making it a Christian city.
2. Recognition of Taiwan as the True Heir to China.
3. Recognition of Tibet
4. Recognition of Biblical Israel and Naming it the Jewish State
5. Recognition of Kurdistan
6. Recognition of Bavaria

Aren't you Catholic? Why the dispensationalism?
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2016, 08:13:21 AM »

Mostly immigration and of course the victim marathon (through the other side have also adopted that).
Drew
drewmike87
United States

« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2016, 08:39:56 AM »

-Support of groups like BLM, anti-Trump protesters, etc. blocking expressways.  I wholeheartedly support people's right to protest, as I myself have done before, but you can't block expressways..

-Over the top SJWism by some elements on the Left.  This has resulted in many unfollows on Facebook.

-In many cases ignoring/forgetting/deemphasizing LGBT issues.  There is still much work to be done post-
Obergefell.

-Socially conservative elements among the Dems.

-Obama/Clinton/Dem establishment being too status quo on foreign policy.  Supporting many of the same failed foreign policies of Bush and other presidents.  Continuing to dump money overseas while our own people struggle. 

-Bernie supporters automatically rejecting Hillary.  I agree she's not perfect, but enough with the #Bernieorbust and #JillNotHill.

DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2016, 09:43:15 AM »

The biggest one is this dumb battle over if Gary Johnson is a "real libertarian" or not or doesn't follow the principles 100% (like most really do? Yeah, right.) "No True Scotsman" in full effect!
Bake the cake!
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2016, 10:44:49 AM »

My side doesn't really exist as an organized political or ideological structure in the United States, even as a notable third party, so that's a bit frustrating.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2016, 11:07:06 AM »

My side doesn't really exist as an organized political or ideological structure in the United States, even as a notable third party, so that's a bit frustrating.

Thank God for that.

Yes, we're so much better off with Trumpism and the alt-right being represented but not any form of communitarianism. Roll Eyes

I'd rather have neither represented.

Genuine communitarianism - that is, an ideology somewhere between Nathan's, Intell's, and DC or TJ's - is great and I wish there was more of it in US political discourse.

What RI claims to be "communitarianism" is utterly awful and just another flavor of the horror that is the modern American right.

Yeah, I should have said that.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2016, 03:42:18 PM »

Thank God for that.

Yes, we're so much better off with Trumpism and the alt-right being represented but not any form of communitarianism. Roll Eyes

I'd rather have neither represented.

Genuine communitarianism - that is, an ideology somewhere between Nathan's, Intell's, and DC or TJ's - is great and I wish there was more of it in US political discourse.

What RI claims to be "communitarianism" is utterly awful and just another flavor of the horror that is the modern American right.

You wish US political discourse had more of support for both Stalinists AND Trump?
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2016, 04:46:49 PM »

Gun control is the most obvious one. Arbitrarily banning this and that are not viable solutions. I'd like solutions that actually do something besides serve as red meat for the base.

Immigration I am mostly in sync with but I don't like the level of pandering Democrats partake in. We still have laws to enforce and we can't just take in every single person that shows up. There has to be limits, but I think in the pursuit of power some forget that.

I'm not a fan of current trade agreements, and I would like less corporate influence. If that can't happen, then I will not support it.

DC Statehood - Yes, they say they are for it, but I see little movement on it, like, ever. It's perplexing because it could give the party 2 more virtually permanent Senators and I don't understand why they don't pursue this. As a former and probably future resident, I deeply resent the lack of representation.

NSA - Enough domestic spying. Terrorism is not worth the massive erosion of our privacy they silently support.

-

Often times I find myself in agreement on the general ideas but not some smaller details.

And, I don't think the right supports the NSA enough.  It's frustrating when there are issues that have significant groups of both sides within both parties.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2016, 09:29:41 PM »

Libertarians are plenty frustrating.  That's why the saying "it's like herding cats" is a true one.

Abortion being a divider.  Should just remove it from the platform and not even discuss it because one part of the libertarian movement or another won't agree.  When a question is posed just preface that this is your personal opinion.

To be fair, the abortion statement in the platform is honestly pretty neutral. Republicans/Consitution Party is all "You're killing life!", Democrats/Greens are all "Pro-Lifers are heartless/sexist/terrorists (Hillary has actually said that last one)", The libertarian platform on abortion is essentially "Government will do nothing because we have no idea what the right thing to do is."
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2016, 11:17:29 PM »

To be fair, the abortion statement in the platform is honestly pretty neutral. Republicans/Consitution Party is all "You're killing life!", Democrats/Greens are all "Pro-Lifers are heartless/sexist/terrorists (Hillary has actually said that last one)", The libertarian platform on abortion is essentially "Government will do nothing because we have no idea what the right thing to do is."

Effectively, that's exactly the same as being pro-choice. Unless they're saying "leave it to the states" which is pretty stupid.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2016, 12:22:02 AM »

1. Establishment of Constantinople as its own independent country and making it a Christian city.
2. Recognition of Taiwan as the True Heir to China.
3. Recognition of Tibet
4. Recognition of Biblical Israel and Naming it the Jewish State
5. Recognition of Kurdistan
6. Recognition of Bavaria

Considering a couple of those would literally be ethnic cleansing.... I'm glad your side frustrates you.

As for my own frustrations with the Democrats, gun control, not enough financial support for alternative energy, some of the Sanderista-style isolationism, and a few other issues I can't remember frustrate me.

In my own state, the base of the Utah Democrats frustrates me, because they're often anti-Mormon and being anti-Mormon is insane in Utah.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2016, 04:48:12 PM »

I mean, pretty much the entire GOP platform on foreign policy is awful. I hate the Israel-firster movement the most, though. 
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2016, 08:20:04 PM »

Effectively, that's exactly the same as being pro-choice. Unless they're saying "leave it to the states" which is pretty stupid.

FWIW, that's what Ron Paul's position is.

Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2016, 09:13:14 PM »

There are a lot of issues where I don't think the GOP is far enough to the right on- some examples:

-I don't think we're committed enough to supporting 100% free trade

-We should ban the income tax once and for all

-We've set our sights way too low on banning abortion, and we have too many Republicans who would prioritize other things over ending abortion

-We have become way too libertarian on surveillance- if you're not doing anything wrong, why do you care?

-I also disagree with the populist strand on stuff like term limits and campaign finance.  We shouldn't have ANY restrictions on donating directly to campaigns.  Non-profits should also be able to be directly involved in politics (though, again, there shouldn't be an income tax in the first place)

-We are not doing anything to curb the problem that is alcohol in our society.  I can virtually promise that, without alcohol, things like rape and suicide would be reduced by way over half.  I have some ideas about how to fix the drinking culture, as it isn't feasible to ban it, but I won't go into that here.

-That some of us recognize "transgender" as a real thing in the first place and not a mental disorder that needs to be treated, not celebrated (or, usually, someone looking for attention)

-Letting the left frame the narrative too much for the American people (ex. controversies in Indiana and North Carolina)

F**k you for the "Trans = mentally ill" B*llsh**t

Also, alcohol doesn't do that much damage. Heavy reduction of alcohol use would only blip suicides, and would prevent maybe a quarter of rapes. Still would help, but not by quite as much as you say.

For me, first the obvious annoyance at "GMO'S ARE TEH POISON, NUCLEOR WILL KILL US ALL,"

Second,

- Thinking racists and other horrible people are only that way because the government doesn't spend enough money transitioning them from coal miners to Starbucks baristas, rather than just accepting some people are just inherently vile and won't change.

leftist racism,

Third, The worship of Israel in some corners of the left
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2016, 09:38:53 PM »

I mean, pretty much the entire GOP platform on foreign policy is awful. I hate the Israel-firster movement the most, though. 

<33333
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2016, 09:43:15 PM »

<33333
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2016, 09:56:11 PM »
« Edited: September 05, 2016, 09:59:28 PM by SunriseAroundTheWorld »

I find myself increasingly frustrated with the Party on most issues, but I always have been mad about lack of minority outreach.

Here's the list of my grievances:
- Minority Outreach: We need to get minority voters. Specifically, African-American, Hispanic/Latino, Asian, Female, Jewish and Hindu voters. The Party has done literally everything it can to piss off all of these groups the past 5 years or so.
- The hypocritical flip-flopping on Iraq, the NSA, the PATRIOT Act, and foreign policy as a whole. As a Neoconservative, I do not appreciate this transition into "mind our own business" nonsense from the tea party/cruz-wing right.
- LGBT Rights: Yea, not happy with the GOP's stubbornly anti-LGBT platform. Younger Repubs encourage me for a more tolerate, future party but the vast majority is still bad on this set of issues.
- Free Trade: Screw this Trump-fueled, populist hatred of free trade policies. Its honestly embarrassing that the party is falling for this protectionist B.S.
- Term Limits: Like ExtremeRepublican said, the GOP's populist obsession with term limits doesn't sit well with me.  The Tea Party Revolution shows what happens when we nominate random people for elected office (EX: Christine O'Donnell, Sharron Angle, etc...)
- Marijuana: I'm for medicinal legalization (with very strict regulations), recreational decriminalization but oppose recreational legalization...but at the same time...I hate that the party is so possessed by this issue. There are way worse drugs that need to be combated.
- Social Security: We need to push the right-wing case on this issue more. We need to address the impending crisis social security will face in the future.
- Immigration: I'm against amnesty, but I am also for reform. #InB4RINOAccusations

That being said, GOP is still good on some issues:
- Abortion (Could do more for Pro-Life causes, but generally, I'm happy w/ our position on the issue)
- Israel (Hard to get more Pro-Israel than today's Republican Party. I'm happy as a clam when it comes to this issue).
- Defense Spending (no need for explanation)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2016, 10:20:55 PM »

I wish that more on the left supported open borders and legalized sex work,.

Muh free flow of hookers.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2016, 06:22:10 AM »

I should add immigration to list. I'm not really on a 'side' per se on that one. Lately it seems like one has to choose between two sides of that quip about liberals and conservatives. Do I want to be on the side with no heart or the side with no brain?
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2016, 09:05:32 PM »

Roll Eyes
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2016, 09:07:30 PM »

Both are defensible policies, but putting them both together in a sentence like this, without anything else in that sentence, is, uh...wow.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2016, 09:22:33 PM »

Tend to be frustrated by social (abortion, gay marriage) and environmental issues in terms of the rhetoric; in terms of when my side is actually in power, our constant failure to live up to actual fiscal conservatism is incredibly frustrating as well.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2016, 09:34:41 PM »

By the way, I suppose an issue where I'd criticize the left for not being "left enough" would be drug legalization.  That's obviously going to be a problem as long as our entire political system is financed by the War on Drugs*, but it's quickly becoming what could be a political winner for the left to appeal to libertarians and BLM/criminal justice reform supporters on that issue.

*This is, predictably, one of the issues where the base is clearly there, but the politicians are not.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2016, 09:55:11 PM »

Getting to be a lot lately, especially with the tea party/atl-right/uber-white nationalists taking control while saying you're not a Republican unless you're far right on everything and don't support any compromises.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies