Trump will nake a major speech on immigration in Arizona on Wednesday.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 05:03:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump will nake a major speech on immigration in Arizona on Wednesday.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Trump will nake a major speech on immigration in Arizona on Wednesday.  (Read 6669 times)
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 30, 2016, 03:47:34 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I really hope, that he will soften up it a bit. I pretty damn sure that his 37% base is solidified and he can't practically lose them, whatever he says (some limits exist of course).

I really look forvard to hear it! Smiley
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 03:51:44 PM »

Sounds like he's going back to a deportation force, wall, etc but with flowery language.
rafta_rafta

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 04:02:41 PM »

He'll just muddy the water even more by contradicting himself in the space of 10 minutes to try and appeal to both moderate suburban white women and blue collar white men.

It's worrying how little he has thought about the one issue he based most of his campaign on
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 04:09:59 PM »

Sounds like he's going back to a deportation force, wall, etc but with flowery language.
You know what! I'd love it. Trump sometimes is such a madcap, so it will be.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 04:11:47 PM »

Anyone wanna' bet as to if we will see a "leaked" version as a trial balloon prior to the actual speech?

He's walking the Third Rail of Republican politics on this one, an issue that he made a major part of his primary campaign....
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 04:12:06 PM »

He'll just muddy the water even more by contradicting himself in the space of 10 minutes to try and appeal to both moderate suburban white women and blue collar white men.

It's worrying how little he has thought about the one issue he based most of his campaign on

We will bygg the f**king wall for angry men.
Some soften rethoric about deportion for women.
Perfekt!
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 04:43:37 PM »

If this can bring up Latino turnout in Arizona, so much the better.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 04:45:58 PM »

I suspect in the end Trump will punt on the issue of deporting the 11m undocumented. He will emphasize how he will deport"the bad ones" (which Obama is already doing) and he will focus on the wall and "securing the border" and the other undocumented can apply only if they leave and apply from their home country. He will assure people there is no "amnesty" but  no specifics on the remaining ubndocumented until "after the border is secured".  Which is essentially the Ted Cruz position.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 04:49:14 PM »

Pence was in my city today giving a speech. Some kooky lady asked a question about "the 14th Amendment" and how "there are really 34 million illegals here" and Pence responded by saying "we're giving a big speech tomorrow night: you'll want to hear it".
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 04:51:51 PM »

If this can bring up Latino turnout in Arizona, so much the better.
It is all about of taking back latent neverTrumpers and undesiders. Little bit is about hispanics voters.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 04:52:26 PM »

I suspect in the end Trump will punt on the issue of deporting the 11m undocumented. He will emphasize how he will deport"the bad ones" (which Obama is already doing) and he will focus on the wall and "securing the border" and the other undocumented can apply only if they leave and apply from their home country. He will assure people there is no "amnesty" but  no specifics on the remaining ubndocumented until "after the border is secured".  Which is essentially the Ted Cruz position.
psychprofessor

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 05:04:24 PM »

It's kind of sad, and actually maddening, that Trump speaks with more clarity on the marital breakup between Huma Abedin and Anthony Weiner than he does on immigration.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2016, 05:48:19 PM »

Let me guess:
1. We are still "building a wall" but it will be 2 feet shorter.
2. Mexico is still paying for it, just not the entire bill for its construction.
3. We will still have a "deportation force" of brown-shirts, but instead of busting down the doors in the middle of the night to get to them, they will knock first.

Is this the "tone down" immigration policy that trump is now proposing ? If so, he will certainly gain about 99% of the Hispanic vote.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2016, 05:52:51 PM »

I agree with your fundamental point regarding the content of Trump's "policy speech" tomorrow regarding the status of over 10 Million current residents of the US whose paperwork is out of status.

However, although I do understand the context of the statement (bolded), the reality is that within the Latino community, there are a huge number of individuals deported for non-violent offenses (Minor misdemeanors and marijuana related citations), solely because of their paperwork status, even though in most cases these are individuals with decades of residency, inter-married with US Nationals, children that are US Citizens, and now families are completely separated because there is no equal application of the rule of law.

Not to challenge your fundamental point, but currently Obama is considered the "Deporter in Chief" among many Latinos, because the current Federal Policy is that *any type of violation* however minor is now separating families.

I have many anecdotal stories from my years living in Texas about how this impacted families of coworkers and friends. For example, a situation where a husband is deported for a 1st DUI married to a US National with 15 years in the country and two small children, and the breadwinner of the family, while Anglos in Houston do 24 hours in Harris County and various court fees and mandatory substance abuse programs. Many other similar situations, like being busted for a joint, or minor traffic incident, etc....

Trump will likely go that route, but ultimately will America be a nation that recognizes the complex interconnection with long-term American immigrants, that see the US as their Native country, have many family members that are US Nationals, contribute to the US economy, frequently working the most dangerous and lowest paying jobs, or will it be a nation that regardless of Democrat/Republican panders to racism and xenophobia and supports an "Apartheid System" when it comes to those who have lived in America for decades in everything from employment, housing, and law enforcement.

There is a major reason why many of my Latino friends and co-workers in Tejas aren't so excited about Clinton vs Trump..... More of the same and still no change and little hope that will happen soon.

Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2016, 06:00:33 PM »

I expect the same bellicosity, but tempered by attempting to suggest that he's only doing what Obama's been doing, but will do it "properly"
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2016, 06:23:29 PM »

I expect the same bellicosity, but tempered by attempting to suggest that he's only doing what Obama's been doing, but will do it "properly"

The goal I believe, would appear to improve his current image with Anglo educated voters, as well as maybe adding a few points to Latino voters in Arizona and Florida that are all extremely turned off by the perception of racist attitudes towards an entire community.... basically bringing back some of the Republican base on the margins that might make a narrow margin of difference in a handful of swing states without being perceived as a "flip-flopper" or betraying his hard-line status on immigration.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2016, 06:48:26 PM »
« Edited: August 30, 2016, 06:50:26 PM by Likely Voter »

I suspect in the end Trump will punt on the issue of deporting the 11m undocumented. He will emphasize how he will deport"the bad ones" (which Obama is already doing) and he will focus on the wall and "securing the border" and the other undocumented can apply only if they leave and apply from their home country. He will assure people there is no "amnesty" but  no specifics on the remaining ubndocumented until "after the border is secured".  Which is essentially the Ted Cruz position.

I agree with your fundamental point regarding the content of Trump's "policy speech" tomorrow regarding the status of over 10 Million current residents of the US whose paperwork is out of status.

However, although I do understand the context of the statement (bolded), the reality is that within the Latino community, there are a huge number of individuals deported for non-violent offenses (Minor misdemeanors and marijuana related citations), solely because of their paperwork status, even though in most cases these are individuals with decades of residency, inter-married with US Nationals, children that are US Citizens, and now families are completely separated because there is no equal application of the rule of law.

Not to challenge your fundamental point, but currently Obama is considered the "Deporter in Chief" among many Latinos, because the current Federal Policy is that *any type of violation* however minor is now separating families.

I have many anecdotal stories from my years living in Texas about how this impacted families of coworkers and friends. For example, a situation where a husband is deported for a 1st DUI married to a US National with 15 years in the country and two small children, and the breadwinner of the family, while Anglos in Houston do 24 hours in Harris County and various court fees and mandatory substance abuse programs. Many other similar situations, like being busted for a joint, or minor traffic incident, etc....

Trump will likely go that route, but ultimately will America be a nation that recognizes the complex interconnection with long-term American immigrants, that see the US as their Native country, have many family members that are US Nationals, contribute to the US economy, frequently working the most dangerous and lowest paying jobs, or will it be a nation that regardless of Democrat/Republican panders to racism and xenophobia and supports an "Apartheid System" when it comes to those who have lived in America for decades in everything from employment, housing, and law enforcement.

There is a major reason why many of my Latino friends and co-workers in Tejas aren't so excited about Clinton vs Trump..... More of the same and still no change and little hope that will happen soon.

Trump is not speaking to help his standing with Latinos and Asians  who understand these issues.  He is going to try to claim there is a huge group of criminal aliens being protected in sanctuary cities and any talk of deportation force was about them and he will also push the straw man argument that clinton wants "open borders" with no vetting. She wI'll let all these "criminals " in and let them stay.  He will also probably talk about Syrian refugees to muddy up the waters.   

Bottom line, he will throw out a ton of tough talk and boogeyman  and totally avoid any specifics on the 11m undocumented
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2016, 07:07:12 PM »

I suspect in the end Trump will punt on the issue of deporting the 11m undocumented. He will emphasize how he will deport"the bad ones" (which Obama is already doing) and he will focus on the wall and "securing the border" and the other undocumented can apply only if they leave and apply from their home country. He will assure people there is no "amnesty" but  no specifics on the remaining ubndocumented until "after the border is secured".  Which is essentially the Ted Cruz position.

Trump is not speaking to help his standing with Latinos and Asians  who understand these issues.  He is going to try to claim there is a huge group of criminal aliens being protected in sanctuary cities and any talk of deportation force was about them and he will also push the straw man argument that clinton wants "open borders" with no vetting. She wI'll let all these "criminals " in and let them stay.  He will also probably talk about Syrian refugees to muddy up the waters.   

Bottom line, he will throw out a ton of tough talk and boogeyman  and totally avoid any specifics on the 11m undocumented

Thanks!!!

I have been saying for a few weeks that Trump's pivot on "racial issues" is really an appeal to suburban educated Anglo voters, rather than a real outreach to the various ethnic communities that he chooses to demonize on any given day.

I thought that is what you were saying, but felt the need to bring up the reality of what it currently means to be an "illegal immigrant" in America, and the "deport the bad ones" hit a raw nerve from my years of living in Texas. Smiley ....

Unfortunately, the Obama Administration policies have not made a major distinction between "non-violent" and "violent" criminal offenders to the point where even parents and children that are out of status will get chucked out of the country in a heartbeat, while you have actual American citizens that get a slap on the wrist for DUI, marijuana violations, and minor traffic incidents that are being deported in Mass Numbers by both Democratic and potentially Republican administrations alike.

I did agree 100% on your interpretation of Trump's speech tomorrow and believe as well that is exactly the route that he will follow. Smiley
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2016, 07:17:52 PM »

I just saw Trump Jr. say there are "millions" of felons within the 11m undocumented and they are a "huge chunk" of that population.  So Trump will be trying to both move the goalpost and then redraw the field and then claim he hasn't changed anything. 

He is trying to now appeal to those who aren't totally racist and are turned off by the notion of rounding up every foreign worker, like their nice maid and gardener. But also just racist enough to think there are millions of scary illegal alien felons that Obama and Clinton want to let roam free
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2016, 07:19:48 PM »

Clinton needs to be ready to go after this.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2016, 07:35:34 PM »

I hope he won't lose what he gained today Undecided
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2016, 08:28:49 PM »
« Edited: August 31, 2016, 09:02:58 PM by ProudModerate2 »

Giuliani sounds like a crazy person.
And Sessions talks slowwwww and is boring.
Wow this campaign is a mess.
Fargobison

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2016, 08:31:27 PM »

Sessions is wearing a "Make Mexico Great Again Also" hat...

Fusionmunster

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2016, 08:45:18 PM »

Nope, no softening here. Nope.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2016, 08:45:33 PM »

"Make Mexico Great Again Also" hats....

I'm not even sure what my reaction to this is past bewilderment.

I have become numb to this sort of thing.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies