NFL QB Colin Kaepernick Won't Stand for National Anthem
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 10:45:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  NFL QB Colin Kaepernick Won't Stand for National Anthem
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: NFL QB Colin Kaepernick Won't Stand for National Anthem  (Read 2950 times)
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 29, 2016, 04:23:47 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/08/28/sport/nfl-colin-kaepernick-protest-sit-down-national-anthem/

Thought this was newsworthy in a way that extended beyond just sports. FF or HP?
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 06:49:09 AM »

on one hand, I sympathize with his point and wish there'd be a more open dialogue on why he felt the need to protest in this fashion instead of just calling him a soldier hating communist or whatever.

on the other hand, there are far more appropriate ways to make this point. the way Lebron James, Carmelo Anthony, and Dwyane Wade talked about gun violence at the ESPYs this year was a case in point example. devoting one's platform to speaking out on social inequities is admirable, but I'm not sure doing it in a way that is perceived to be disrespectful to those who have died fighting for the US, whether those wars were justified or not.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 08:08:14 AM »

It's totally innapropriate.  Colin Kaepernicks career was basically over anyway so I guess he needed to do something to stay in the spotlight.  He is an a**hat and spits on the graves of those, black and white, who died for that flag.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 08:30:08 AM »

on one hand, I sympathize with his point and wish there'd be a more open dialogue on why he felt the need to protest in this fashion instead of just calling him a soldier hating communist or whatever.

on the other hand, there are far more appropriate ways to make this point. the way Lebron James, Carmelo Anthony, and Dwyane Wade talked about gun violence at the ESPYs this year was a case in point example. devoting one's platform to speaking out on social inequities is admirable, but I'm not sure doing it in a way that is perceived to be disrespectful to those who have died fighting for the US, whether those wars were justified or not.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 10:57:31 AM »

whites: don't break widows, that's not the right way to protest.

*Colin Kaepernick doesn't stand*

whites: there's other ways to protest!

Totally stole this from a tweet btw
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 11:27:30 AM »

Go for it. No one is obliged to subscribe to nationalism. The country has done enough sh-tty things to black people that I don't know if I would either.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 11:33:37 AM »

Maybe if he had talent, people would care. Better get used to that seat. But he was never likable to begin with.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 02:02:12 PM »

There's nothing I love more than white people clutching pearls. I was hoping during the offseason that Colin Kaepernick would get traded to Denver so that he could win and wouldn't have to be on the 49ers anymore, and I still feel that way.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 08:07:26 PM »

Go for it. No one is obliged to subscribe to nationalism. The country has done enough sh-tty things to black people that I don't know if I would either.

This. The idea that disrespecting the US flag is disrespectful to American soldiers (but that doesn't apply to other countries?) is silly.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 04:21:01 AM »

I think he's a total ass clown for doing it.

...and the people giving him sh**t for it are worse.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 06:19:47 AM »

I'm sure he feels really disadvantaged, making millions of dollars a year. It's good he's putting that money to use for criminal justice reform instead of putting his mouth to use. Oh wait. He isn't.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 07:48:18 AM »

It's totally innapropriate.  Colin Kaepernicks career was basically over anyway so I guess he needed to do something to stay in the spotlight.  He is an a**hat and spits on the graves of those, black and white, who died for that flag.
Daniel Defense
The Thin Blue line
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2016, 09:56:37 AM »

A guy who makes millions of dollars being an professional  athlete and refuses to stand for the flag/country that allowed him such riches and privileged life.  Meanwhile a Marine Veteran in attendance with his legs blown off while fighting for that flag probably has nowhere near the wealth this jugg head has.  You cant get anymore ed up than that.  I just wonder if Kaepernick has donated to or spoken up on the thousands and thousands of young black men killed in gang related violence that happens every hour on the streets of Chicago or Baltimore?

Karma is a bitch Kaepernick.  When your sorry career is finished which it almost is, you can take your seat in the "poor me" section with the likes of Iverson and Ryan Leafs of the world.   I hope he's blacklisted in the nfl.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2016, 10:07:07 AM »

I don't see the point of the criticism. Why should we require expressions of nationalism in anything?
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2016, 10:29:34 AM »

Now that Tomi lahren came out with a hateful rant against him, I feel like siding with him.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2016, 10:55:15 AM »

Ok, he has every right to do it.  Why give him sh**t for it.  You have nothing better to do with your time.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2016, 10:57:51 AM »

Meh, it's a free country.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2016, 10:58:41 AM »
« Edited: August 30, 2016, 11:05:28 AM by TimTurner »

Ok, he has every right to do it.  Why give him sh**t for it.  You have nothing better to do with your time.
That being said Colin certainly isn't a picture of perfection.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2016, 11:38:58 AM »

A third string QB does something to get noticed.  Shocking.  Time to move on.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2016, 03:35:41 PM »

I don't like it, but he's within his rights to do this. After all, exercising your right to free speech sure beats rioting in Milwaukee. He's basically done regardless.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2016, 06:29:05 PM »

A guy who makes millions of dollars being an professional  athlete and refuses to stand for the flag/country that allowed him such riches and privileged life.  Meanwhile a Marine Veteran in attendance with his legs blown off while fighting for that flag probably has nowhere near the wealth this jugg head has.  You cant get anymore ed up than that.  I just wonder if Kaepernick has donated to or spoken up on the thousands and thousands of young black men killed in gang related violence that happens every hour on the streets of Chicago or Baltimore?

Karma is a bitch Kaepernick.  When your sorry career is finished which it almost is, you can take your seat in the "poor me" section with the likes of Iverson and Ryan Leafs of the world.   I hope he's blacklisted in the nfl.
"Fighting for that flag"

lmao
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2016, 09:18:32 PM »

Why does this matter? Why is this news? How does this affect me at all?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2016, 09:57:39 PM »

Why do people, on here and in the media/public, keep saying "You have to respect his right to do that!  That's what America is all about!"

Yes, I acknowledge he has the right to not stand.  Everyone else has just as much a right to call him out for being a dumb***  He's a public figure, if he's going to do this stunt, I don't have to "respect it"
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2016, 08:00:17 AM »

I could not care less what Colon Paperneck says or does.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2016, 10:47:30 AM »

Why do people, on here and in the media/public, keep saying "You have to respect his right to do that!  That's what America is all about!"

Yes, I acknowledge he has the right to not stand.  Everyone else has just as much a right to call him out for being a dumb***  He's a public figure, if he's going to do this stunt, I don't have to "respect it"
In fact, I've heard the opposite. Almost everything I've seen on this whole controversy has been anger and calls to release him/people putting out their numbers so Colin will call them.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies