Be honest -- How do you feel about the upcoming minority-majority?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:00:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Be honest -- How do you feel about the upcoming minority-majority?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Be honest -- How do you feel about the upcoming minority-majority?  (Read 3485 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2016, 12:55:00 PM »

I expect that the definition of "white" will change so that whites continue to be the majority, so whatever. The list of "white" ethnicities has been subject to plenty of change over the years.

I tend to agree with this.

The one thing I do hope is that we don't end up with a lot of people who speak poor English.

Don't worry, WV and adjacent parts of Appalachia are losing population

You say that like it's something to celebrate and not really sad.

What's sad about it? It means people are fleeing those areas for greener pastures. Smiley
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2016, 01:42:29 PM »

I'm not thrilled about it, but it doesn't scare me or anything. It just is. As long as there's assimilation and not Balkanization, it doesn't matter that much.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2016, 02:02:35 PM »

Looking forward to it.  Can't wait for the White Baby-Boomer pensioners, who have sucked the youth dry and left the planet a garbage dump, to die in their natural course.

Am I the only one who can't stand this intergenerational bickering?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2016, 03:15:18 PM »

Looking forward to it.  Can't wait for the White Baby-Boomer pensioners, who have sucked the youth dry and left the planet a garbage dump, to die in their natural course.

You're not.

As for the answer to this: Already live in this type of area, so it's nothing new at all.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2016, 04:12:00 PM »

As long as they're mostly Christian, I'm fine with it.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2016, 04:25:26 PM »

I'm not worried about it, mostly because it isn't going to happen. Like others have said, the definition of white has changed in the past and will change again. Irishmen and Italians were seen as subhumans for a good chunk of American history, and yet now they are part of the majority.

As for whether there will really be a huge cultural take over, look at what Benjamin Franklin said about the German immigrants coming into early America:

"Those who come hither are generally of the most ignorant Stupid Sort of their own Nation…and as few of the English understand the German Language, and so cannot address them either from the Press or Pulpit, ’tis almost impossible to remove any prejudices they once entertain…Not being used to Liberty, they know not how to make a modest use of it…I remember when they modestly declined intermeddling in our Elections, but now they come in droves, and carry all before them, except in one or two Counties...In short unless the stream of their importation could be turned from this to other colonies, as you very judiciously propose, they will soon so out number us, that all the advantages we have will not in My Opinion be able to preserve our language, and even our Government will become precarious."

They don't spell America with a "K" just yet, so I think it's pretty clear that the Germanization of America will ever take place. Just like I doubt the Latinization of America will ever take place either.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2016, 04:51:59 PM »

Love you too, Santander... Sad
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2016, 04:55:55 PM »

I really don't care. I could forget all about it and care about the same as I do now. And I just want to let you all know

IDC.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2016, 04:56:04 PM »

Love you too, Santander... Sad
I said mostly Christian. All the Jews in the world could come to America and they'd still barely make a dent in our religious composition.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2016, 05:44:47 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2016, 08:33:57 AM by alex »

(Sane, am not Bronz)
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2016, 08:27:01 PM »

I honestly don't care, but some of this comments, of waiting for a previous generation to die and get replaced, is really distasteful, also the comments of WV is ridiculous. It's fine, as long as it helps, and not harms the american people and the american worker, and as long as they're not illegal immigrants, and are skilled workers.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2016, 08:27:17 PM »

Poor people becoming a majority is a bad thing. If non-Whites were becoming a majority in a vacuum, that in itself wouldn't be a problem. The reason they are taking over though is because they are caught in a cycle of being poor and having lots of children. The end result is the United States becoming a third world nation. It's funny to see someone from NYC say that a minority majority hasn't led to economic disaster, I guess just because he lives in a Manhattan bubble. Half the jobs can't afford to pay minimum wage here. Milk is $5 a gallon. Housing is affordable only if you are a millionaire, on government assistance, or have made a conscious decision never to have children and always have roommates. NYC seriously looks like Dubai with a slightly better human rights record.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2016, 09:43:13 PM »

Worst thread I have read yet.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2016, 12:04:40 AM »

Poor people becoming a majority is a bad thing. If non-Whites were becoming a majority in a vacuum, that in itself wouldn't be a problem. The reason they are taking over though is because they are caught in a cycle of being poor and having lots of children. The end result is the United States becoming a third world nation. It's funny to see someone from NYC say that a minority majority hasn't led to economic disaster, I guess just because he lives in a Manhattan bubble. Half the jobs can't afford to pay minimum wage here. Milk is $5 a gallon. Housing is affordable only if you are a millionaire, on government assistance, or have made a conscious decision never to have children and always have roommates. NYC seriously looks like Dubai with a slightly better human rights record.

That's a spicy memeball
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2016, 03:33:24 AM »
« Edited: August 14, 2016, 03:37:58 AM by Ebowed »

Do you disagree with anything in that post, or do you dislike the tone?  Bickering is a small price to pay for negligence at best and outright malice and greed at worst.  Young people might snipe, but old people nominated Trump and normalized his behavior by giving it mainstream credibility.  I think a few people saying outright how we feel about the Boomers is a small trade compared to what they actually did, don't you?
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2016, 05:02:52 AM »

I expect that the definition of "white" will change so that whites continue to be the majority, so whatever. The list of "white" ethnicities has been subject to plenty of change over the years.
False. None of the people who are considered white now were formerly considered non-white by the law of any state or by that of the federal government. The trend has been in fact in the opposite direction - Hispanics who were formerly considered white by the census have now the option of "other race", plus of course the whole creation of the whole concept of Hispanic ethnicity.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2016, 05:26:40 AM »

I guess poor people are responsible for poverty now. Roll Eyes
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2016, 06:22:33 AM »

Great, I eagerly await the time where I won't need a ing visa to enter the US and I'll be able to speak spanish and not bother with english at all Smiley
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2016, 08:57:28 AM »

False. None of the people who are considered white now were formerly considered non-white by the law of any state or by that of the federal government. The trend has been in fact in the opposite direction - Hispanics who were formerly considered white by the census have now the option of "other race", plus of course the whole creation of the whole concept of Hispanic ethnicity.

Tell that to the Irish.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2016, 10:15:52 AM »

Irish and Italian immigrants were absolutely considered racial minoroties in the 1800s by most English/German/Scandinavian Americans; I can't comment on their legal status, but I've literally seen campaign ads for Northern Democrats that charged Republicans with being blatantly racist against Irish protestors, portraying them as monkeys even.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2016, 11:09:21 AM »

It's not just formerly "non-white" groups eventually being considered "white".  There's also the fact that intermarriages are resulting in more mixed race / mixed ethnicity babies being born, many of whom will consider themselves white and be considered by others as white.  My nephew looks as white as I am, but because his father's Cuban, he can justifiably check "Hispanic" on the census form (once he's old enough to be filling out Census forms).  When people talk about the timeline for the USA becoming "minority majority", are they including people like him as part of the "minority" group gaining ascendancy?
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2016, 01:17:59 PM »

I just wish that I heard a little more English on the bus.  It's really annoying because I don't know what they're saying, and for some reason, hearing a person yell and scream in a foreign language for ten whole minutes really gets on my nerves.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2016, 01:24:46 PM »

I'm not worried about it, mostly because it isn't going to happen. Like others have said, the definition of white has changed in the past and will change again. Irishmen and Italians were seen as subhumans for a good chunk of American history, and yet now they are part of the majority.

As for whether there will really be a huge cultural take over, look at what Benjamin Franklin said about the German immigrants coming into early America:

"Those who come hither are generally of the most ignorant Stupid Sort of their own Nation…and as few of the English understand the German Language, and so cannot address them either from the Press or Pulpit, ’tis almost impossible to remove any prejudices they once entertain…Not being used to Liberty, they know not how to make a modest use of it…I remember when they modestly declined intermeddling in our Elections, but now they come in droves, and carry all before them, except in one or two Counties...In short unless the stream of their importation could be turned from this to other colonies, as you very judiciously propose, they will soon so out number us, that all the advantages we have will not in My Opinion be able to preserve our language, and even our Government will become precarious."

They don't spell America with a "K" just yet, so I think it's pretty clear that the Germanization of America will ever take place. Just like I doubt the Latinization of America will ever take place either.

Do you have any idea how much cooler it would have been if Germanization had happened? We could be living in Amerika!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2016, 03:11:29 PM »

I just wish that I heard a little more English on the bus.  It's really annoying because I don't know what they're saying, and for some reason, hearing a person yell and scream in a foreign language for ten whole minutes really gets on my nerves.

If it bothers you so much, you can always learn Spanish.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2016, 03:57:24 PM »

when someone yells and screams on a bus for 10 minutes in english it really gets on my nerves
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies