If you faced being drafted 2.0
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 09:02:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  If you faced being drafted 2.0
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ... what would you choose ?
6-month military service

9-month civil service

I have a severe medical condition, making me like 100% unable to serve

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 72

Author Topic: If you faced being drafted 2.0  (Read 1477 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2016, 03:17:36 PM »

And it's not popular to say, but the US military over the past few decades has been so far cucked and pivoted around false impressions of "manliness" that I have no desire to be in the company of troops while on the job, and there's no way on earth I could bear showering with other men.

1. Please stop using that word.
2. What the heck does that mean?
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2016, 03:56:49 PM »

And it's not popular to say, but the US military over the past few decades has been so far cucked and pivoted around false impressions of "manliness" that I have no desire to be in the company of troops while on the job, and there's no way on earth I could bear showering with other men.

I think the US military has, even from a non-interventionist perspective, drifted far from what its intended purpose was or should be - protecting the country.  It does much good, but otherwise it's become the standard tool of the United States to meddle in other countries' affairs even when there's no perceived need for it or when doing so only aggravates the problems overseas.  (And with that, it would make little sense for me to serve in the military when I'm so fervently against most areas of US foreign policy and want no part in their misadventures.)  Not to mention the deplorable way this country treats its vets when they come home and how our soldiers are used as human guinea pigs when they're on duty.

I'd probably have a different attitude of the US military if this country wasn't so involved in the world stage.  I realize that's inevitable for such a large country as the way it's been for empires historically, but I don't agree with it.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2016, 04:00:22 PM »

I think the US military has, even from a non-interventionist perspective, drifted far from what its intended purpose was or should be - protecting the country.  It does much good, but otherwise it's become the standard tool of the United States to meddle in other countries' affairs even when there's no perceived need for it or when doing so only aggravates the problems overseas.  (And with that, it would make little sense for me to serve in the military when I'm so fervently against most areas of US foreign policy and want no part in their misadventures.)  Not to mention the deplorable way this country treats its vets when they come home and how our soldiers are used as human guinea pigs when they're on duty.

I'd probably have a different attitude of the US military if this country wasn't so involved in the world stage.  I realize that's inevitable for such a large country as the way it's been for empires historically, but I don't agree with it.

I see. I was worried that you meant something very different. Can't really disagree with any of this (I'm strongly interventionist in theory, but in practice it's almost always handled terribly).

Still, please stop using that word.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2016, 04:12:18 AM »

stop the presses, I agree with you both

scott, the Marines are manly (and you wouldn't want them any other way Wink ), for sure and the Army can be, but you don't have to be manly to get along just fine in the USAF or the Navy.  At least not in the nerdy part of each, probably be harder to be a non-manly pilot or Submarine commander.  I've known many a non-manly man in my career (nerds) field.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2016, 09:31:44 AM »

Tender, do women have an equivalent of draft?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2016, 05:10:28 AM »

Tender, do women have an equivalent of draft?

No, women are exempt from the draft and civil service.

(Although there are some politicians from the ÖVP and FPÖ who support a female draft/civil service for equality reasons, also just recently a female ÖVP politician from Tyrol).

I guess the only country in Europe to require women to be drafted is Norway.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2016, 01:44:07 PM »
« Edited: November 16, 2016, 01:45:53 PM by Simfan34 »

During peacetime? Just serve. During a war? Seek a commission, provided I'm aware I have a reasonably high chance of being conscripted.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2016, 04:40:30 PM »

Option 1.

Those photos look freaking awesome. I wish we had that in Australia.

Finland and Israel have similar programs.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2016, 05:26:54 PM »

I don't really have to worry about it as a woman. But even if I did, I have a medical condition that keeps me from serving.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2016, 07:33:35 PM »
« Edited: November 16, 2016, 07:40:11 PM by Spicy Purrito( (((☭ )))-MA) »

They both seem really hard and I am not really the maternal type. 1.

I considered a career in the military officer corps at one point but was disuadded because 1) had a birth defect scare that didn't really turn up anything but it could  or might not make me fail a physical and 2) I have one of those paying attention /can't do as well as I should be able to in school diseases that aren't really diseases...

So it is like one of those things like the time I couldn't get any dates or find a real job. Too many check marks against.

So uh...I dunno. I probably wouldn't get signed on but probably healthy enough to draft. Im getting up there though, but if theres a big war before the end of my 30s, who knows.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2016, 03:51:54 AM »

3 months ago, I would have said "civil service". Now, I would flee the country. Why would I want to serve God Emperor Trump in any capacity?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2016, 06:52:08 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2016, 08:53:57 PM by angus »

option 1.  

From the pictures you posted option 2 looks like a horrible torture.  Not that option 1 wouldn't have some uncomfortable moments--I'm not a big fan of camping in the snow and I know that because I've done it; and I would have to be trained in the use of firearms because I've never owned a gun.  Still, I'm in reasonably good health and I'm pretty sure I could learn to kick ass and say "yes, sir" and blow shit up and do push-ups with the best of them.  I doubt I could ever get used to babysitting invalids or driving an ambulance.  That would make me insane within about 2 days.

That said, I'm not very excited about being drafted into either of those jobs.

Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2016, 07:39:23 PM »

Sports or military?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2016, 05:04:51 PM »

3 months ago, I would have said "civil service". Now, I would flee the country. Why would I want to serve God Emperor Trump in any capacity?

He, Emperor Donald John Trump, God of Hate
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.47

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2016, 04:46:21 PM »

Civil Service. My grandfather went through the draft in WWII in England, and he said to me to never do it.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies