IL: Kirk Slightly ahead in Internal despite large Clinton lead in same poll
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:24:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 Senatorial Election Polls
  IL: Kirk Slightly ahead in Internal despite large Clinton lead in same poll
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: IL: Kirk Slightly ahead in Internal despite large Clinton lead in same poll  (Read 1838 times)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 22, 2016, 09:04:00 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20160722/BLOGS02/160729927/poll-gives-kirk-edge-over-duckworth-but-clinton-clobbering-trump
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 09:08:09 PM »

Decimals = junk poll!
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 10:18:36 PM »

Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 10:58:28 PM »

Kirk +1.5! His last internal had him down, IIRC, and he's strongly outperforming Clinton. But in the end, he'll lose.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 11:01:15 PM »

That may justify a 'Lean D' rating as the two races are 16 points apart (something that is more likely to shrink as time goes on, but I'll keep an open mind) but its unfortunate that its an internal.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 12:42:19 AM »

This means Kirk is probably behind, though perhaps not completely out of the race.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 12:48:33 AM »

The poll and the comparison with the Clinton/Trump poll mean nothing unless we know what, if any, questions were asked before those surveyed were asked about Kirk/Duckworth.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 08:50:46 AM »

Interesting, and while I doubt both the accuracy and the precision of this poll, perhaps it will serve to bring national Republican money back to Illinois to try to make a race out of this. With the way the party is moving this year, establishment Rs would probably like to have someone like Kirk in the Senate caucus.

What gets me is that, despite her strong credentials, Duckworth just doesn't seem to be such a strong candidate. She ran well behind Obama in 2012 despite running against a garbage (and deeply unpopular) opponent. If she wins this year, she will do so despite running even further behind Hillary. She must just not have very good political skills.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 12:02:47 PM »

Conservative pollster, but I am slightly concerned about ticket-splitters. Kirk isn't really seen in Illinois as being in the same party as Trump.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2016, 12:07:40 PM »

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 12:24:06 PM »

I remember last summer in the Burnham campaign I worked on the head of the London campaign kept saying that our internals were looking good, and putting us on 35% of the vote.... we got 19%.

RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2016, 12:33:54 PM »
« Edited: July 23, 2016, 12:37:34 PM by RINO Tom »

I mean, Kirk is basically running as a Democrat. I've always said that he won't be easy to beat, even though I despise him.

The poll and the comparison with the Clinton/Trump poll mean nothing unless we know what, if any, questions were asked before those surveyed were asked about Kirk/Duckworth.

^^Also true.

How in the  is he running as a Democrat?!  Being a Republican is as much about lowering the tax burden, decreasing harmful regulation and rewarding economic success as having a Southern accent and talking about church, especially in IL.  This isn't Dixie, thank God.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2016, 12:37:04 PM »

I mean, Kirk is basically running as a Democrat. I've always said that he won't be easy to beat, even though I despise him.

^^Also true.

How in the  is he running as a Democrat?!  Being a Republican is about lowering the tax burden, decreasing harmful regulation and rewarding economic success, not having a Southern accent and talking about church.

Kirk is liberal on social issues and supports confirming Justice Garland. That's enough to be a Dem according to TNVOL's definition.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2016, 12:38:38 PM »

^^Also true.

How in the  is he running as a Democrat?!  Being a Republican is about lowering the tax burden, decreasing harmful regulation and rewarding economic success, not having a Southern accent and talking about church.

Kirk is liberal on social issues and supports confirming Justice Garland. That's enough to be a Dem according to TNVOL's definition.

I would ask TN Vol why he doesn't just identify as a Republican already, but I don't want his trash political views in my party.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2016, 12:46:12 PM »

If Mark Kirk isn't a real Republican than I don't want to be one either. Kirk is a loyal Republican who holds mainstream party views on economic and foreign policy issues.

I differ with Kirk on some social issues, but this is Illinois...not Alabama.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2016, 01:27:52 PM »

Watch his ads and you'll know what I mean - he's really been running away from Trump, McConnell and Republican positions on social issues. This might turn out to be a smart strategy, which worked for red state Democrats like Manchin and Heitkamp, but he needs to find a way to not lose any support in more conservative downstate IL - IIRC, there's several Third Party candidates running in this race.

Tom, I bet that a majority of Republicans would rather have Ron Johnson and Pat Toomey in the Senate than Mark Kirk, whether you like that or not. Wink

LOL, chumps vote on social issues, I'll just say it.  Also, a "majority of Republicans" don't have that choice.  That's not the type of Republican our state nominates, thankfully (though I like Toomey).
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2016, 01:50:15 PM »

LOL, chumps vote on social issues, I'll just say it. 

No elitism here at all, nope.

Just realism.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2016, 04:31:14 PM »

If Mark Kirk isn't a real Republican than I don't want to be one either. Kirk is a loyal Republican who holds mainstream party views on economic and foreign policy issues.

I differ with Kirk on some social issues, but this is Illinois...not Alabama.
This. If Kirk was a full-fledged social conservative, he wouldn't have won. I'm glad Illinois Republicans (unlike Colorado and Delaware Republicans) chose the most electable candidate.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2016, 04:43:30 PM »

Do Democrats here seriously think Kirk will get Blanched (lose by 20+ points)? Even Trump will keep it closer in IL than Blanche did in AR.

Nah, he'll get Pryored and only lose by two touchdowns.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2016, 04:50:13 PM »

Do Democrats here seriously think Kirk will get Blanched (lose by 20+ points)? Even Trump will keep it closer in IL than Blanche did in AR.

Nah, he'll get Pryored and only lose by two touchdowns.

Pryor lost by 17 points, not 14, but whatever.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2016, 04:57:44 PM »

This is personally how I see it, the GOP should run moderates in the North and battleground states and very conservatives in The GOP Heartland.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2016, 05:05:45 PM »

I'm actually pretty curious about TNVol's political views. From what I can tell (and based off his PM score), he's slightly left leaning, but mostly votes for Republicans because he prioritizes being pro-life and being against angry NH women? Correct me if I'm wrong here. Tongue

But, if that is the case, Republicans shouldn't be so cocky. They'd be on the ropes as a party without the single issue pro-life voters.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2016, 05:33:55 PM »

I'm actually pretty curious about TNVol's political views. From what I can tell (and based off his PM score), he's slightly left leaning, but mostly votes for Republicans because he prioritizes being pro-life and being against angry NH women? Correct me if I'm wrong here. Tongue

But, if that is the case, Republicans shouldn't be so cocky. They'd be on the ropes as a party without the single issue pro-life voters.

I don't think there's ever been a cohesive description of his views besides hating Susan Collins and Mark Kirk, being pro-life, being A-okay with Trump's dog whistles and hating NH with a sick passion.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2016, 10:27:00 PM »

If the GOP gave up on life, millions of people like me would find a new political home- either the Constitution Party or a new party.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2016, 11:23:27 PM »

If the GOP gave up on life, millions of people like me would find a new political home- either the Constitution Party or a new party.

The GOP won't give up being pro-life, and they shouldn't.  However, it's high time that religious conservatives stop acting like they're the only ones who matter in the party and recognize that the Republican Party is still the natural home for the business community and more affluent Americans; if this coalition is going to last, they need to accept that "fiscal conservatives" who don't much care for divisive social issues are an important part of it.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies