Opinion of US Presidents Series: John Quincy Adams through John Tyler
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:06:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of US Presidents Series: John Quincy Adams through John Tyler
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
John Quincy Adams: FF

John Quincy Adams: HP

Andrew Jackson: FF

Andrew Jackson: HP

Martin Van Buren: FF

Martin Van Buren: HP

William H. Harrison: FF

William H. Harrison: HP

John Tyler: FF

John Tyler: HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Opinion of US Presidents Series: John Quincy Adams through John Tyler  (Read 1423 times)
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2016, 09:54:01 PM »

You like traitors then?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2016, 10:05:55 PM »

Some. Am I not supposed to like Washington and Jefferson and Ben Franklin? Or Sam Houston? Or Lee and Jackson? Frickin Jesus was a "traitor" to both Rome and the homerule government in Jerusalem.

I like how Tyler was not a Whig. I like how the Whigs nominated Tyler despite him not being a Whig. I like how when he was President he actively vetoed Whig legislation he disagreed with and refused to be bullied by the party. I like that he annexed Texas. I like how he still has a living grandson. I like that he went to my alma mater. And I'm not some brain dead ninny who thinks that the 40% or so of Americans who were part of the Confederacy 150 Years ago are somehow universally evil or deserving of hatred ... even though clearly only they and nobody else anywhere in the entire world were racist 150 years ago.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2016, 10:07:06 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2016, 10:09:30 PM by ClintonianCake »

JQA was a freedom fighter but a lousy, incompetent and elitist president. MVB had worthy causes but was pretty inept and also is given a lot of leeway for someone who stood as an integral part of the Jackson reign of terror. Jackson was a bad man who was a symptom and reaction against the early clique years rather than a positive figure in itself. Harrison was a pro-slavery weasel who couldn't even put on a damn coat. Tyler was a traitor and one of the worst presidents of all time.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2016, 11:16:03 PM »

JQA and Van Buren are FF's, Jackson is very mixed but HP, and Harrison/Tyler are HP's.
sparkey

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: -7.30

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2016, 11:49:32 PM »

I like how Tyler was not a Whig. I like how the Whigs nominated Tyler despite him not being a Whig.

I agree with a lot of your assessment of Tyler, but the history is not quite right here. He was absolutely a Whig, at least early in the party's history. When the Whigs first started, they were a catch-all group that included American-system Clayites, old-timey Federalists, and anti-executive expansion Jeffersonians; all the types who stood against what Jackson represented. Tyler balanced the Whig ticket that year in part because he came from the last group, but in Congress, the first group completely dominated, and indeed came to dominate the party as a whole.

Turns out that old Jeffersonian politics was not appreciated by Congress, so Tyler didn't get along with them. Despite that, his Presidency was surprisingly successful, especially economically.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2016, 10:31:58 AM »

Adams: HP
Jackson: Yuge FF
Van Buren: HP
Harrison: FF
Tyler: FF

Sure, Jackson and Tyler were terrible on slavery and Indians by today's standards, but they nevertheless accomplished some good things.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2016, 03:53:47 PM »

One could make the argument that Tyler was the president most responsible for the Civil War, under the logic that the acquisition of Texas enflamed sectional tensions and paved the way for the Mexican War and the acquisition of still more territory (and thus the free soil debates of the 1850s).
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2016, 08:33:53 AM »

Bump
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2016, 08:44:27 AM »

One could make the argument that Tyler was the president most responsible for the Civil War, under the logic that the acquisition of Texas enflamed sectional tensions and paved the way for the Mexican War and the acquisition of still more territory (and thus the free soil debates of the 1850s).

This is a bad thing because...
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2016, 09:40:09 AM »

Adams: HP
Jackson: Yuge FF
Van Buren: HP
Harrison: FF
Tyler: FF

Sure, Jackson and Tyler were terrible on slavery and Indians by today's standards, but they nevertheless accomplished some good things.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies