Tony Blair stays on Labour Leader till 2010
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:27:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  International What-ifs (Moderator: Dereich)
  Tony Blair stays on Labour Leader till 2010
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tony Blair stays on Labour Leader till 2010  (Read 1542 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 16, 2016, 03:48:19 AM »

How bad does he lose in the 2010 election , is it worse then John Major Defeat in 1997
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 12:01:09 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXxyWHnQEn0
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 01:25:42 PM »

Dumping the May 2007, the month Blair resigned, polling average (Con 36.3; Lab 32.8; Lib 18.4) into the Electoral Calculus website puts Labour fifteen seats short of a majority.

Lab - 309 (-47)
Con - 258 (+60)
Lib - 47 (-15)
Nat - 11 (+2)
Oth - 3
NIR - 18

Labour only stop being the largest party, in terms of seats, when the Conservatives are roughly 6% ahead. I think that the Conservatives would have formed the Government if Blair had stayed on until 2010, although I'm not certain that it would've been a majority - given the size of Labour's majority in 2005.

Realistically, I don't know how much the Iraq War could've been played by the Conservatives if Blair had remained as PM - given that they voted for it as well. Although, the SNP could've performed better with Blair running in 2010, given that the SNP would have been able to play the Iraq War card - as they opposed the war.

Looking ahead, it would be likely that Brown would've still followed Blair as Labour leader. This would help prevent the SNP majority in Holyrood in 2011, as Brown would've had to play a more active role in that election, and if the Independence Referendum had still taken place, Brown would've been a much more credible leader for the No side than Alistair Darling (or David Cameron). This would've helped keep the support for independence down - reducing, or preventing, the SNP surge in 2015. Additionally, Brown could've potentially been more credible than Miliband and won the 2015 election for Labour, most likely requiring the support of other parties, however.

Had the Conservatives gone into coalition with the Lib Dems, as actually happened, than the Lib Dems would still most likely in the situation they are in now. Otherwise with a Conservative majority, the Lib Dems would, in my view, have formed a coalition with Labour in 2015. I think the would've been much more tolerable with Lib Dem voters than the coalition with the Tories, given that a large number of their voters are left leaning. This situation would keep the Lib Dems as the third party in the UK.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 01:58:02 PM »

Makes me wish he actually did stay on till 2010 Sad
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 07:53:35 PM »

Dumping the May 2007, the month Blair resigned, polling average (Con 36.3; Lab 32.8; Lib 18.4) into the Electoral Calculus website puts Labour fifteen seats short of a majority.

Lab - 309 (-47)
Con - 258 (+60)
Lib - 47 (-15)
Nat - 11 (+2)
Oth - 3
NIR - 18

Labour only stop being the largest party, in terms of seats, when the Conservatives are roughly 6% ahead. I think that the Conservatives would have formed the Government if Blair had stayed on until 2010, although I'm not certain that it would've been a majority - given the size of Labour's majority in 2005.

Realistically, I don't know how much the Iraq War could've been played by the Conservatives if Blair had remained as PM - given that they voted for it as well. Although, the SNP could've performed better with Blair running in 2010, given that the SNP would have been able to play the Iraq War card - as they opposed the war.

Looking ahead, it would be likely that Brown would've still followed Blair as Labour leader. This would help prevent the SNP majority in Holyrood in 2011, as Brown would've had to play a more active role in that election, and if the Independence Referendum had still taken place, Brown would've been a much more credible leader for the No side than Alistair Darling (or David Cameron). This would've helped keep the support for independence down - reducing, or preventing, the SNP surge in 2015. Additionally, Brown could've potentially been more credible than Miliband and won the 2015 election for Labour, most likely requiring the support of other parties, however.

Had the Conservatives gone into coalition with the Lib Dems, as actually happened, than the Lib Dems would still most likely in the situation they are in now. Otherwise with a Conservative majority, the Lib Dems would, in my view, have formed a coalition with Labour in 2015. I think the would've been much more tolerable with Lib Dem voters than the coalition with the Tories, given that a large number of their voters are left leaning. This situation would keep the Lib Dems as the third party in the UK.

Tories lost 170 seats in 1997
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 12:20:40 AM »

The Liberal Democrats might do slightly worse as Blairites don't vote for them nearly as much, and instead it is the more left-wing Labourites who abandon the party for the Greens and SNP.

I suspect that, should an EU referendum occur, the Liberal Democrats would absolutely do very, very well in the next election as the most pro-EU party.
Enny
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 07:26:38 AM »

If Blair stayed on, I imagine there'd have been a higher Lib Dem vote for a start, but the Tories may have gained a majority. If they did, then the Lib Dems probably would have stayed in a strong position for 2015.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies