Real World Experiences in Politics
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 05:21:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Real World Experiences in Politics
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Real World Experiences in Politics  (Read 1821 times)
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 19, 2005, 09:35:32 PM »

Out of curiosity, what has everyone done in the real world politically?  For example, what campaigns have you worked on and in what capacity, even what offices did you hold?  Do we have current congressmen on this board, we just don't know it yet? Smiley

Me, I've worked on several campaigns, Andrea Stewart Cousins' State Senate Campaign, which she lost by 17 votes.  I worked on Kerry's campaign last year.  I worked on Erin Malloy's mayoral campaign, which she won by one vote but which is still up to the courts
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/19/nyregion/nyregionspecial2/19weirvi.html
And I'm working on spitzer's campaign this summer.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005, 09:40:06 PM »
« Edited: June 19, 2005, 10:02:27 PM by Flyers2006 »

I am currently the Treasurer of the Philadelphia Young Democrats.  I have also worked on the Brendan Boyle for State Rep campaign and handed out campaign lit for Allyson Schwartz.  In 2006, I plan to be very active with the ABS (not fond of Casey) campaign, Brendan Boyle, and possibly PA 6 (Lois Murphy) or PA 8 (Patrick Murphy, Paul Lang, or Robin Weissman) campaigns.  Let hope I don't have to spend time on Allyson Schwartz! 
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 09:41:30 PM »

I was a volunteer worker for President Bush's campaign in 2004.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 04:03:38 PM »
« Edited: June 21, 2005, 04:06:37 PM by Keystone Phil »

I am the Chairman of the Southeastern Pennsylvania Teenage Republicans (SEPTARS) septars.com

I have volunteered my time for the following campaigns:

Katz for Mayor (Philadelphia)
McDermott for Council At-Large
O'Neill for Council (10th District)
Bush for President
Brown for Congress (PA 13)
O'Brien for State House (PA 169)
Mirarchi for State Senate (PA 5)

Campaigns I was too busy to work on and regret not working: Toomey for Senate. But I'll make up for that in 2010.  Smiley

Campaigns I plan to be active on in 2006: Santorum for Senate (hopefully as an intern), Swann or Castor for Gov. (won't volunteer for Scranton or Piccola), Mike Fitzpatrick for Congress (PA 8 ), Jim Gerlach for Congress (PA 6) and pretty much anyone who runs against Allyson Schwartz in PA 13 (except Taubenberger. I'll be too busy with more important things in that case).

I am also an unofficial committeeman in my division (precinct) but will run for the position, officially, in the 2006 Primary.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 04:38:25 PM »

I volunteer for my county legislator every now and then. I haven't been able to go recently though because of schoolwork and some other things unfortunatly.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 04:54:18 PM »

A friend and I were standing outside a polling station giving away stickers and pins for Democratic candidates, and offering pamphlets to people. I can honestly say, with a bit of steryotyping, that I added two votes to the Democratic total in my county. A black couple drove up to our school, and asked where "__________ __________" was, and since it was percisely two turns from where we were, we told them where it was. Persuming they got there, and taking the leap that since they were black they voted Democrat, we added two votes to Kerry's Maryland total.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005, 05:52:15 PM »

I have no real political experience but I think that will change during the 2006 elections.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 06:10:42 PM »

Worked for Keyes for Senate in 2004 and now for Nussle for Governor in 2006.

Headed a "Save the Branch Library" Campaign for a while in 2003 and 2004.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 06:19:38 PM »

Did you live in Illinois that year, if you and I have the same (Alan) Keyes in mind? 
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2005, 06:44:02 PM »

Did you live in Illinois that year, if you and I have the same (Alan) Keyes in mind? 

I just commuted accross the river on weekends. Apparently out of state campaign workers isn't that strange for Senate Campaigns.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2005, 10:48:51 PM »

In 2004 I did some stuff for Congressman Sherwood and Bush in my town. Regular canvassing on election day and a few days before that. Phone calls also. I did a bit for Clymer unofficially around town. This spring I did a little work for Mayor Doherty of Scranton and I plan to do some more stuff for him later this summer and near election day.

In 2006, I plan on working Santorum for Senate and Sherwood for Congress if he gets serious competition. Possibly Castor if he runs and wins the primary.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2005, 10:50:53 PM »

I just commuted accross the river on weekends. Apparently out of state campaign workers isn't that strange for Senate Campaigns.

An out of stater working on Keyes campaign? How fitting.

Sorry, PBrunsel. Couldn't resist.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2005, 10:55:51 PM »

I did some canvassing for Kerry/Edwards and Joe Hoeffel in 2004, I went to DC to protest on Inauguration Day II, I 'worked the polls' for the Democratic ticket in '04 and for a local candidate for Magisterial District judge in spring of '05, I regularly attend meetings at the Kutztown Democratic Club during election season, I went to a Michael Moore appearance, and I plan to work for Casey in the spring/fall of next year.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2005, 11:06:59 PM »

I have no real political experience but I think that will change during the 2006 elections.
I think you should move to Vermont to run for Sanders's old house seat. You'd make a good congressman. Smiley
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2005, 11:11:34 PM »

I am the founder and president for the new local Democratic club starting at my school in the next school year. I also plan to do voter registration and recruiting in the 2006 congressional elections.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2005, 04:25:47 PM »

Possibly Castor if he runs and wins the primary.

You better do Castor work! Smiley  And if Castor doesn't run, you better work for Swann. Not working for the two other clowns is understandable though. If either of them get the nomination, it will be all Santorum and Fitzpatrick work for me (with some work for Jim Gerlach and whoever runs in PA 13...except Al Taubenberger).

You should also try to contact the Santorum campaign ASAP to get a spot as an intern or something. Working for Santorum in your area (pretty much Casey land) will help. Every vote matters. Another thing - try to get a Teenage Republican club going up there.  Smiley
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2005, 10:07:41 PM »

Campaign manager for most successful "third" party congressional candidate in 1980; candidate for County Commissioners Court in 1982; nominated by Texas Libertarian Party for U.S. Senate in 1984; County chair of LP of El Paso County 1980-85; candidate for city charter commission 1985. Prior to that worked in a State House GOP primary race in Michigan while in high school (1966) and worked for the re-election of the incumbent Democratic governor in "64 (who lost to George Romney!).
Cool! That's impressive!

Well, I have zero experiences with politics but my mom did campaign for the Conservatives last year and worked as an election observer in last June's election.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2005, 10:18:00 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2005, 10:22:16 PM by Supersoulty »

My first acctual political expirience was working for a local candidate named Frank Snyder.  He ran for the democratic nomination for County Commisioner in the 2003 primary.  He lost by a small margin, pretty good, considering he was a write in.  After that, I did worked for Pat Toomey, going to doors, making calls, etc.  Then, there was Bush/Cheney.  I did pretty much the same thing for them.  I'm am an alumnus of the Center for the Study of the Presidency, which is a life-time political organization for promising college students.  After that, I came back to Erie and worked for a couple of Erie mayoral candidates.  I couldn't pick one, since I had to wait over the span of a month to talk to them all.  I started out in the Barry Grossman camp and eventually ended up in the Tim Pearson camp.  Both lost to Joe Sinnot (They are all Democrats).  But, on election day, I campaigned for niether of them, because I was busy standing outside of a polling place for a candidate for County Commisioner and a Candidate for District Judge (it was a favor for a friend).  The County Commisioner lost and the District Justice won.  Right now, I'm holding out for Santorum '06.

Other than the Center for the Study of the Presidency (which is certainly nothing to be taken lightly) I have no real "big time" expirience.  At this point, I am still pretty much working the backroom.  I'm more of a Philosopher than a politican anyway.

It's kinda funny.  A friend of mine and Ijoke all of the time, because she is a Democrat who has made her way, thus far, working for local Republicans and I am a Republican who has spent most of his time working for local Democrat candidates.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2005, 10:25:26 PM »

I ran for four local offices and won 3.  I was also a Republican committeeman, county voter registration chairman in one county committee and the research co-ordinator for another.

I've officially managed two municipal campaigns and wrote the campaign material for another four.  I also served as the "Issues/Policy Analyst" for a state representative.  In college, I interned in a state senate campaign for the summer.

Some of the consulting I do now is for people holding office and candidates, but that isn't "campaigning" as such.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2005, 11:02:53 PM »

Doe serving in School Office count? If then I have plenty of real world political experience. Smiley
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2005, 12:37:25 AM »

I was also a Republican committeeman

Maybe you can endorse me in my run for committeeman in 2006. Oh wait...John Street Republicans don't fit in well here.  Wink
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2005, 04:24:49 AM »

First experiance was handing out anti-BNP leaflets in a local by-election a few years back
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2005, 09:53:25 AM »

Doe serving in School Office count? If then I have plenty of real world political experience. Smiley
We may as well add student government to the list Smiley
I was Secretary of my Grade in Freshman year, then Class President for two years .  I then ascended to the School Presidency, and established my dictatorship.
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2005, 02:05:22 PM »

I have been once the volunteer in the parliament election campaign of the finnish Conservative Party's candidate. I will probably join the party's next year presidential campaign. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies