Would you agree with this premise?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:55:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Would you agree with this premise?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: The 5th Amendment implicitly repealed the natural-born citizen requirement for POTUS
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 8

Author Topic: Would you agree with this premise?  (Read 712 times)
Californiadreaming
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 15, 2016, 02:27:28 AM »

Basically, this article makes an argument that the 5th Amendment (in its current interpretation) has already implicitly repealed the natural-born citizen requirement for the U.S. Presidency:

http://repository.jmls.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1287&context=lawreview

As for me, I voted Yes. After all, if one embraces the idea of a "Living Constitution" (as I myself lean in favor of doing), then I see absolutely no reason as to why exactly earlier parts of the U.S. Constitution should be incapable of being implicitly repealed by later parts of the U.S. Constitution.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 05:57:14 AM »

Not sure, but I'd never thought of that and it's actually worth considering.
Californiadreaming
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 12:04:54 PM »

Not sure, but I'd never thought of that and it's actually worth considering.
Yeah--after all, if the current interpretations of two parts of the U.S. Constitution are incompatible with one another, then it appears to make logical sense for the later part of the U.S. Constitution to implicitly repeal the earlier part of the U.S. Constitution.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 05:21:23 PM »
« Edited: July 16, 2016, 05:23:04 PM by muon2 »

It's an interesting premise, but there is a counter example in the one-man-one vote decision for congressional districts (Wesberry v Sanders). SCOTUS did not apply it to the Senate, though by the logic of the article it seems they should have. Since SCOTUS did not apply equal protection to the Senate, I think they also would not apply it to qualifications for federal offices, including requiring presidents to be natural born citizens.
Weiner/Holder
Rookie
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 01:00:25 AM »

Go ahead and say you plead the 5th when asked as a presidential candidate and see if it works with voters over 25.  Presidents and those running for office sacrifice certain personal information to give the voters a better idea about who they are. It's part of the gig.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 02:49:53 AM »

Oh, I actually misread this and thought you were talking about the 14th Amendment (because it provided a comprehensive definition of citizenship that voided the term "natural born citizen" of any substantive meaning). No idea how I made that mistake, but I think it would make more sense than the 5th.
Californiadreaming
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 11:42:23 AM »

Oh, I actually misread this and thought you were talking about the 14th Amendment (because it provided a comprehensive definition of citizenship that voided the term "natural born citizen" of any substantive meaning). No idea how I made that mistake, but I think it would make more sense than the 5th.
Doesn't the 14th Amendment only apply to the states, though?
Californiadreaming
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 11:43:33 AM »

It's an interesting premise, but there is a counter example in the one-man-one vote decision for congressional districts (Wesberry v Sanders). SCOTUS did not apply it to the Senate, though by the logic of the article it seems they should have. Since SCOTUS did not apply equal protection to the Senate, I think they also would not apply it to qualifications for federal offices, including requiring presidents to be natural born citizens.
There is a difference between applying equal protection to elections and applying equal protection to the qualifications for governmental offices, though.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 11:47:10 AM »

Uh, no? It's been used in relation to federal law countless times.
Californiadreaming
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 11:50:09 AM »

Uh, no? It's been used in relation to federal law countless times.
Very stupid question, but can you please provide a couple of quick and notable exceptions of this?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies